Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are bull bars useful for anything aside from mounting lights?

Do they provide you with any skid protection?

I was just reading. Some people claim that the larger brush guards can protect vesicles from collisions, broken lights, etc. Seems to be a contentions debate though. Some other people claim that it makes driving more dangerous as a vehicle comes to a more abrupt stop.

I'm thinking about getting a bull bar mainly to mount spot lights or a light bar. I'm really disappointed with the stock lights on my frontier. They are the dimmest headlights out of any vehicle I have ever owned.

The bull bar I'm looking at is from Truck Gear Direct. I might go with a full sized bar though if there are benefits.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
It depends on the quality of construction,design,material,mounting points etc.
I looked up the bull bar you were interested in.I can't believe the selling price.Unless they charge an outrageous shipping price.I could not build one at that price even if I used cheaper material(crew).
I got nerfed in the rear of the truck pretty hard.The bed cage tube had a small dent.The stock fender(rules said I had to run a stock bumper) was pretty much destroyed.Glad the bed cage was there to protect the bed
I since built a new bumper due to a class change that allowed me to.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
First off, I will admit that I have never had a 'Bull Bar'. From threads I have read on the subject, it is clear why some folks refer to them as damage multipliers. The mounting points and materials used are not sufficient enough to keep the bar from bending into the body work on a truck.

There are many folks here who have been through fixing a vehicle that was damaged by a weak 'bull bar' or by stock side steps. The best solution is to buy a bumper and sliders that are made with tougher materials and are designed to take abuse. I do realize that not everyone goes off road but even a parking lot bump with a 'Bull Bar' can cause significant damage to your vehicle.

If you want to mount additional lights, there are mounting bars that can be added to your stock bumper that provide the mounting points. These are cheaper and cleaner than what you are considering. I apologize for not having a link to include in this post.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
This was my old guard I built. Not very good for nerfing and doubt if I will need to. Just in case I do,the new one is better for that and am confident it will hold up.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
The new ones.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,440 Posts
They can also alter airbag deployment. The system was designed as the vehicle was delivered and have read it can affect its performance.

·
Registered
293 Posts
They can also alter airbag deployment. The system was designed as the vehicle was delivered and have read it can affect its performance.
From what I've read, the airbag sensor is an accelerometer and is unaffected by aftermarket bumpers or other attachments.

·
Super Moderator
10,440 Posts
You may be correct but I'd hate to have one on and in a crash find out what you had read was wrong.
They do look rugged and cool on a truck.

Clint

·
Registered
231 Posts
Around here (South Texas) a bull bar (or other similar front bumper attachment) is literally designed to push open cattle gates and things to avoid the gate from scratching your vehicle. They really don't serve any off road or protective purpose.

·
Super Moderator
10,440 Posts
Around here (South Texas) a bull bar (or other similar front bumper attachment) is literally designed to push open cattle gates and things to avoid the gate from scratching your vehicle. They really don't serve any off road or protective purpose.
Makes sense as they are also referred to as brush guards. In a crash it's just one more expensive part to need to be replaced.

Clint

1 - 12 of 12 Posts