Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what the likely cause is of this play in the drive shaft for a 2003 Xterra 4WD? I assume the Frontier is the same.
The U-joints seem fine, it appears to be some type of bearing, but want to make sure I purchase the correct part.
Sorry about the poor video quality.
https://goo.gl/photos/Rmm4dBgSKztNHXU96

I think it's happening on both the rear and front drive shaft.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Does not look out of the normal. There will be a small amount of both rotational and lateral play at the transfer case or transmission. Can not tell if the u-joint itself has play in it from the vid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does not look out of the normal. There will be a small amount of both rotational and lateral play at the transfer case or transmission. Can not tell if the u-joint itself has play in it from the vid.
Thanks for the response! There is no movement at all from the u-joints.
Here is a video that is a little better. I'm trying to figure out if this is causing vibration while I'm driving.
https://goo.gl/photos/ruPCfWJRwyfoEbkt7

-Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just bringing this back to the top to see if anyone thinks this is normal play in the rear drive shaft.
THIS IS ONLY IN THE REAR, NOT THE FRONT SHAFT.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
674 Posts
It looks like the u joint is good but the play is coming internally from the extension housing

That's a sleeve yoke with female splines that mates up to the splined transmission mainshaft. It just slides in and out, if you disconnect the driveshaft you can pull it right out

Your splines may be worn. Check that first

They have a listing on rockauto for an extension housing bearing but in the blowups on the fsm there is no bearing at all and the extension housing looks empty. The closest bearing is called mainshaft bearing and it looks like it's on the outer edge of the main case

I have this same problem, with up and down play coming out of the extension housing.

I get less up and down play than you.

I don't know if it's normal or not but I think I can hear it when I'm in 1st gear just starting to roll, that's what led me to check for play.

Im at a standstill because of the fact that rockauto has an extension housing bearing but the fsm shows the extension housing to be empty. Don't know what to do at this point, but I still daily it

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for this. Do you have any vibration while driving?

It looks like the u joint is good but the play is coming internally from the extension housing

That's a sleeve yoke with female splines that mates up to the splined transmission mainshaft. It just slides in and out, if you disconnect the driveshaft you can pull it right out

Your splines may be worn. Check that first

They have a listing on rockauto for an extension housing bearing but in the blowups on the fsm there is no bearing at all and the extension housing looks empty. The closest bearing is called mainshaft bearing and it looks like it's on the outer edge of the main case

I have this same problem, with up and down play coming out of the extension housing.

I get less up and down play than you.

I don't know if it's normal or not but I think I can hear it when I'm in 1st gear just starting to roll, that's what led me to check for play.

Im at a standstill because of the fact that rockauto has an extension housing bearing but the fsm shows the extension housing to be empty. Don't know what to do at this point, but I still daily it

·
Registered
674 Posts
Thanks for this. Do you have any vibration while driving?
No vibration yet, mine isn't as bad as yours yet. What led me to check my driveline for play was a noise when in 1st gear just starting to roll, almost at a standstill, for example when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic going up a hill and rolling forward

Almost like a clicking noise

Some of the noise comes from my clutch because of the fact that when I did my clutch job I didn't put back a stock dual mass flywheel, which is normal when you replace a dual mass flywheel with a one piecer

There is a little more noise that I suspect is coming from the up and down play in the sleeve yoke/extension housing area

You're supposed to grease the splines in the sleeve yoke

If you haven't pulled your driveshaft in a long time or never put it back with grease the times you did pull it, then your splines may be wearing down

If the mainshaft male splines are worn then you're looking at a trans rebuild, if it's just the female sleeve yoke splines then it's an easy fix

But it's probably a bearing, either extension housing or mainshaft bearing

Let me know if you can find any info on the extension housing bearing because that's probably it, and I don't think you have to pull the trans to yank the extension housing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts