Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I happened upon the dreaded FB :sick: last night to lurk at what the yoyo's there were posting. First off...if you think we get goofballs and idiots here...you haven't seen anything yet :ROFLMAO:

Anyways, someone posted this photo asking what the grey two prong plug was for? Anyone?

Hood Automotive tire Grille Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
3,290 Posts
It's for an electrical accessory not installed on your truck. You could track down the connector by location and color in the FSM if you were that curious and have a free hour or so of time.

· Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's for an electrical accessory not installed on your truck. You could track down the connector by location and color in the FSM if you were that curious and have a free hour or so of time.
Some said it was the accessory plug for rock/puddle lights??

· Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
1,437 Posts
Some said it was the accessory plug for rock/puddle lights??
Put a meter on it & find out. Is it hot all the time, only when the truck is on, only when the lights are on, etc. shouldn’t be too hard to figure out.

· Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Whats a rock puddle light, dont think I've ever seen that on the option list??
Not sure the proper term but most seem to call them rock lights. Lights that go under your vehicle or wheel wells? Puddle lights are usually lights that illuminate the ground from the sideview mirror, hence to see puddles when entering or exiting the vehicle at night.

https://www.amazon.com/YiLaie-Brigh...ocphy=9021543&hvtargid=pla-1064751934753&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Kurl-T-Under...locphy=9021543&hvtargid=pla-877680241580&th=1

· Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's some top-level FB gold right there!

That would be neat if Nissan wired in an accc plug for rock lights but seeing as how they are somewhat illegal in many states/provinces I can't see that happening..
Maybe as a future Nissan accessory I could see it, but since they have accessory harnesses now, you never know??
I was just curious myself as to what it was. Almost looks like a temperature sensor or something? But I do believe the 3 gen's is in front of the radiator tied to the center support beam?
Again, was just curious. Thought a member here would know.

· Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
1,126 Posts
If memory serves I belive it's for a sensor. There was a discussion on the forum going back about it. I'll double check my FSM and see if I can pull a rabbit out.

Just checked my truck and it either did not come with that, or it was already wired up and is hidden inside the wire loom as there is nothing visible at that spot.

• Helpful
Reactions: GreyFox

· Registered
2022 Frontier SV CC SWB / 1997 Hardbody D21 KC
166 Posts
One of us is going to be right... I seem to recall another discussion where it was determined to connect to the bed lights (blank rectangles on either side of the bed). Some folks have the harness that goes from the engine room to frame just under the bed light location, and still no bed lights. Some have that blank connector in the engine room and no harness on the frame under the bed light location. I'm in the latter group.

If memory serves I belive it's for a sensor. There was a discussion on the forum going back about it. I'll double check my FSM and see if I can pull a rabbit out.

Just checked my truck and it either did not come with that, or it was already wired up and is hidden inside the wire loom as there is nothing visible at that spot.

· Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
1,126 Posts
OK, I have combed through the FSM wire harnesses(for a 2016), I found the exact wire harness and guess what?
There is nothing shown or labeled at that location.
What year is this Frontier/xterra we have pictured?

D'oh its for a Gen 3 right?
It may be used for the adapative cruise control, as there is a sensor that connects to the window (something I learned from another thread I was providing assistance on).

· Premium Member
2020 PRO4X
298 Posts
Challenge accepted, I'll be back in several hours 🤣

EDIT

Link the post, are there no other photos? Hard to say which one I am looking at.

I suspect this is not a connector at all though, we're looking at a cap. Some call it an elimination plug, so the real connector is to the left hidden under all that tape, and the cap is the gray we see with orange. I've been looking for gray connectors, but the actual connector may actually be white? They need to unplug it to see, or at the very least see how many and colors of the wires on the other side. This is what an all white plug looks like:

Cable Fashion accessory Font Electronics accessory Plastic

· Registered
2022 Frontier SV CC SWB / 1997 Hardbody D21 KC
166 Posts
I can't post the PDF (last page), but it's referenced in post #9 of the following thread;

· Premium Member
2020 PRO4X
298 Posts
I can't post the PDF (last page), but it's referenced in post #9 of the following thread;
We have a winner. I think an important distinction here is that some will have this connector, and some won't. Per the instructions of the Sport Bar, those with Utilitrak/Bed Lights don't have to mess with the harness at the engine, while those that don't have Bed Lights have an additional harness to run the the engine and connect there. It's mentioned earlier on the instructions, but that gray connector is in fact a dummy connector to protect the plug.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Screenshot

· Registered
1,199 Posts
FB just does not lend well to diag or even discussion. Its piss poor in documenting anything actually. It is great for "check out my lunch I just had" or "my new haircut".... aka wheels or other look at me stuff IN THE MOMENT.

Yet, there are some reasonable folks there and even Nissan employees. This makes my commentary look bad/wrong. lol.

· Registered
17 Posts
We have a winner. I think an important distinction here is that some will have this connector, and some won't. Per the instructions of the Sport Bar, those with Utilitrak/Bed Lights don't have to mess with the harness at the engine, while those that don't have Bed Lights have an additional harness to run the the engine and connect there. It's mentioned earlier on the instructions, but that gray connector is in fact a dummy connector to protect the plug.

View attachment 364788
I got the plug from eBay.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts