Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for any kind of lift kit that will actually give me at least 2 inches or preferably 3 or more inches of wheel travel. Not just increase ride height, but actually increase A - Arm travel.

I would LIKE to increase it by at least 3". Any other lift options would be a bonus.

Does anyone know of a way to actually increase the overall travel for the Nissan Frontier? Are there any options?

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
A titan swap will be the easiest most cost effective way of adding travel.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
A titan swap with coilovers is the best/cheapest route. Past that you can get long travel titan arms and a drop bracket to increase the spindle height. Then shock hoops will give you extra flex.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
A titan swap will be the easiest most cost effective way of adding travel.
A titan swap with coilovers is the best/cheapest route. Past that you can get long travel titan arms and a drop bracket to increase the spindle height. Then shock hoops will give you extra flex.
He said .... clearly, in all caps... "BEST LIFT". Not cheapest. C'mon guys.... a little help?:)

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
He said .... clearly, in all caps... "BEST LIFT". Not cheapest. C'mon guys.... a little help?:)
Don't get me wrong, the package you got from PRG is great but it doesn't not give the best flex when compared to a Titan swap. Don't worry thou, someone will end up buying it from you. Its just too good of a kit to pass on for most guys looking to really wheel their trucks.

If anything the OP can get the PRG kit (from you) and then see if it gives him the flex he wants. If not, he can upgrade to a T-swap later.

Side Note: If the OP does do a T-swap, he needs to either swap in an m205 with Titan half shafts or get custom half shafts for his r180. Neither will be cheap and may be more then the OP wants to do. The 4x4 advanced package looks better and better for the OP now.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the package you got from PRG is great but it doesn't not give the best flex when compared to a Titan swap. Don't worry thou, someone will end up buying it from you. Its just too good of a kit to pass on for most guys looking to really wheel their trucks.

If anything the OP can get the PRG kit (from you) and then see if it gives him the flex he wants. If not, he can upgrade to a T-swap later.

Side Note: If the OP does do a T-swap, he needs to either swap in an m205 with Titan half shafts or get custom half shafts for his r180. Neither will be cheap and may be more then the OP wants to do. The 4x4 advanced package looks better and better for the OP now.
Well said!

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I'm looking for any kind of lift kit that will actually give me at least 2 inches or preferably 3 or more inches of wheel travel. Not just increase ride height, but actually increase A - Arm travel.

I would LIKE to increase it by at least 3". Any other lift options would be a bonus.

Does anyone know of a way to actually increase the overall travel for the Nissan Frontier? Are there any options?
Coilovers and after-market control arms will give you almost 3" more travel.

A Titan Swap with coilovers and after-market control arms will give you almost 6" more travel.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Wife is really chewing your ear...huh?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been considering a full out Titan swap, but I already have a Nismo. So, not sure what the best route there is. I'm on the fence with something like a PRG kit because if I am going to tear up my current 4x I want something that will give me REAL travel.

Years ago I owned a great hard body King Cab 4x, with that you could just TORQUE UP the torsion bars, or buy two stage torsion bars to get a stiffer suspension and up to a couple inches of lift.

I MISS the Air, but even with a Nismo I don't trust the suspension for getting air. And it is fairly new, and really nice, so I want a solid suspension for hard running. That's why just a lift for bigger tires won't work. It HAS to have better travel.

------------------------

Anybody have any writeups or thoughts on the Titan Swap for the 4x with a Nismo?

I like the idea of the beefier axles, and longer A-Arms, but really want good travel...

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
The only thing special that you Nismo has over a standard SE 4x4 is an e-locker in the rear and then bilsteins. Past that, it is just an SE.

The PRG package will probably do what you want unless you start to pre-run. Then a T swap may be in order. Only issue is that you wheels stick out a bit so it may piss you off or it may not, idk.

You basically have 3 stages.

Stage 1: Coilovers and aftermarket Frontier Arms.
Stage 2: Extended Coilovers and Aftermarket Titan arms.
Stage 3: Shock hoops with an engine brade with Titan Long travel arms with air bumps and fiberglass fenders.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts

Stage 3: Shock hoops with an engine brade with Titan Long travel arms with air bumps and fiberglass fenders.
I would say in preformence lifts for the front end is

Stage 1: Coilovers - 8" of travel
Stage 2: Extended Coilovers and aftermarket control arms - 9" of travel
Stage 3: Titan Swap with extended coilovers and aftermarket Titan arms - 12" of travel
Stage 4: Titan mid travel kit - 15" of travel.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only thing special that you Nismo has over a standard SE 4x4 is an e-locker in the rear and then bilsteins. Past that, it is just an SE.

The PRG package will probably do what you want unless you start to pre-run. Then a T swap may be in order. Only issue is that you wheels stick out a bit so it may piss you off or it may not, idk.

Actually the Nismo has at least a different rear axle and different gearing as well. On top of that there are a few decorative items (wheels, trim, etc.).

·
Premium Member
4,074 Posts
I thought Greg has a T-swap kit for the 4x's including the half shafts

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Actually the Nismo has at least a different rear axle and different gearing as well. On top of that there are a few decorative items (wheels, trim, etc.).
The nismo has an m226 which is also found on all 6m. Only difference is that it has an e-locker instead of just being open. All other Frontiers (2nd gen only) have a c200k.

Gearing isn't any different then a standard SE auto 4x4.

I agree on the wheels. Heck, I bought the 6spoke ones for my SE since I didn't like the standard steelies or the 5 spoke. I like symetric things and the 5spoke with 6 lugs wasn't working for me.

The seat covers are a little different design. I am not sure if everyone likes it or not but they are a little different.

There are some other little differences but nothing major.

I thought Greg has a T-swap kit for the 4x's including the half shafts
I am not sure if he has a kit or he just modifys a kit to work. The SAW (I think they make them) half shafts are a little pricy thou. As stated before, the OP can get a standard m205 from a Titan with the 3.36 gear ratio to match his rear diff gear ratio. He can then use the Titan half shaft and be good to go. This does require a new/used front diff but it is stronger so if he is really using his truck to its limits, it may be worth the extra little coin.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
nismo does have lower gears

SE KC 4x4 6M M226 3.538
NISMO KC 4x4 6M M226 3.692

SE KC 4x4 5A C200 3.133
NISMO KC 4x4 5A M226 3.357

except the cc 4x4 auto both have same gears
SE CC 4x4 5A C200 3.357
NISMO CC 4x4 5A M226 3.357

just throwing that out there

but pretty much at the min you will need aftermarket upper control arms and coilovers

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
nismo does have lower gears

SE KC 4x4 6M M226 3.538
NISMO KC 4x4 6M M226 3.692

SE KC 4x4 5A C200 3.133
NISMO KC 4x4 5A M226 3.357

except the cc 4x4 auto both have same gears
SE CC 4x4 5A C200 3.357
NISMO CC 4x4 5A M226 3.357

just throwing that out there

but pretty much at the min you will need aftermarket upper control arms and coilovers
Yup, some Nismo's have lower gears. His Nismo doesn't thou and that is the point. In the end thou, the OP doesn't have to worry about gears until he looks into swapping diffs and increasing tire size.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Stage 1: Coilovers - 8" of travel
Stage 2: Extended Coilovers and aftermarket control arms - 9" of travel
Stage 3: Titan Swap with extended coilovers and aftermarket Titan arms - 12" of travel
Stage 4: Titan mid travel kit - 15" of travel.

So what is the Titan mid travel kit and where can you get it and is stage 3 the prg kit that has the titan lowers with prg uppers?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts