Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a little bit of research on after market cold air intakes i have run across the problem of not being able to single out the best one. Now I am asking for your guys' input on what would be the best CAI for an 05 frontier. Thanks in advance. BTW what is the difference between the 63-6014 and the 77-6014KP from K&N since i'd rather get a grey colored tube instead of the polished one. :)
-JOSEPH

·
Registered
3 Posts
I guess it's a matter of opinion for the CAI. K&N has always made high quality intakes, as has Volante. Both have a larger intake tube and filter, while the Volante includes a box to house the filter and K&N makes do with a heat shield separating the filter from hot engine compartment air. AFE only replaces the filter and keeps stock intake tract parts, not necessarily a bad thing. It looks as if the AFE heat shield doesn't quite isolate the filter as well as the K&N intakes (you have to look closely at the heat shield), and Volante isolates the filter best out of the 3...which brings me to the noise factor. I LOVE the howl that an engine makes through an open filter element. Both the AFE and K&N are wide open, ie, more intake noise. It seems as if the Volante would be similar to stock noise level because of the box.

The noise level differences are only my opinion on the Frontier, as I haven't heard any of 'em. It's up to you as to what you want. I've had an open K&N on both an LT-1 V8 Camaro and an inline-6 BMW M3 and can say that, no matter how many cylinders you have, open intakes are a great addition.

As for the K&N differences, the 63 series has a molded plastic tube which is said to cut down a little on intake noise. The 77 series is a metal tube, KP is polished, KG is painted gray....although I have never seen a KG for sale anywhere. The 63 and 77 probably flow almost identically and you'll lose the "Nissan" placard on the engine cover either way.

Hope this helps,

Jason

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Personally, I'm by-passing the intake up-grade at this point and just doing the exhaust. I had a bad experience with an intake mod on my previous F-150, but never regretted the exhaust up-grade. Based on my past experience, you're more apt to run into resistance for warranty repair work at the dealership with an after-market intake because it's staring them right in the face when they pop the hood (and it's the leading edge of the combustion cycle, everything has to go through it to get to the engine)! Some dealerships will use any excuse to disapprove a warranty claim. This is what happened with my F-150, the problem was with a sensor, but because of the intake, they claimed "that thing" I put on my truck caused the failure!

I know they are supposed to prove it caused the problem, but I'm no mechanic, so was ill equiped to fight it! The repair that should have been covered under warranty ended up costing me about $150.00!

This go-round, I'm adding the exhaust (hard to say it causes problems with sensors when it's after all of them!) and leaving the intake stock (at least as long as it's covered by the warranty anyway!)

Just another angle to consider!

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
JayP,

I have been contemplating a CAI and I have come to the conclusion if I do it will be the
Volant as it seems better designed to seal off the filter element than the others. I
also like the looks of it.

If it does quieten down the intake then I won't mind as I love the sound of my exhaust now. I also will keep my foot out of it as to hear the intake you have to get on it pretty hard at least on my Miata. I start to hear my exhaust at just over idle.

I am still trying to make up my mind if the CAI is worth the hassles of cleaning it and
the fear that it might not filter as well as the factory element. Time will tell.

OKieScot

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response guys as of right now i'm leaning towards the K&N 77 series although the volant has also caught my attention. I guess time and a little more research will tell. :lol:

·
Registered
460 Posts
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
Personally, I'm by-passing the intake up-grade at this point and just doing the exhaust. I had a bad experience with an intake mod on my previous F-150, but never regretted the exhaust up-grade. Based on my past experience, you're more apt to run into resistance for warranty repair work at the dealership with an after-market intake because it's staring them right in the face when they pop the hood (and it's the leading edge of the combustion cycle, everything has to go through it to get to the engine)! Some dealerships will use any excuse to disapprove a warranty claim.
Did Ford Sell you that Air Intake? Any one can go and buy the K&N 77 Series right from a Nissan Dealership except they charge you like an extra$100 bones. I'm thinking because Nissan sells the product they should cover it. And in the installation instructions it says it will not void the warranty if installed as per the instructions provided.

BTW: Sorry to hear about your Ford experience but glad you moved over to the Nissan Family.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
No, I didn't buy it from Ford, I understand some dealerships are now SVT Certified and probably carry aftermarket parts, but the dealership near me didn't, and you'd of thought I had an alien strapped to the engine by the look on their face when they opened the hood!

I bought my Bank's Exhaust from JersyParts who works for Nissan of Turnerville in NJ. He said that even though it was purchased from a Nissan dealer, it is not covered by a Nissan warranty. But, it is covered by the manufacturer's warranty (which is lifetime, not 3 yrs/36K miles)! I'm hoping that because I purchased it from a Nissan Dealer, my Nissan Service Department won't act like the old Ford dealership did!

I was a Ford Man for a long time, but that incident, compounded with a few more over the years, turned me to other manufacturers! And, based on past experiences, I had already written off Dodge and Chevy, so I guess I'm an Import Man now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts