Nissan Frontier Forum banner
19601 - 19620 of 44530 Posts

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
You should pull the skid and check. I didn't realize my transfer case was leaking until I pulled off the skid for something else and discovered the fluid in the bottom of it.
good god, they hold that much? oooo. aftermarket skids dont have holes in them like the OEMs do they?

·
Re-Moderator
13,510 Posts
good god, they hold that much? oooo. aftermarket skids dont have holes in them like the OEMs do they?
The aftermarket transfer case skid doesn't have holes, no. I can't remember what type cstone has. My truck has had a few leaks that have done funny things...the fluid pattern hasn't always done what I have expected it to given the source of the leak (transfer case was a case in point...I crawled under there on three different occasions before I figured out the leak was coming from nowhere near where I thought it was). If I were cstone, I'd pull the skid and crawl under there and take a really close look at everything. Might be worthwhile to add one of those UV dyes too (the kind that is safe for use in transmissions).

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
The aftermarket transfer case skid doesn't have holes, no. I can't remember what type cstone has. My truck has had a few leaks that have done funny things...the fluid pattern hasn't always done what I have expected it to given the source of the leak (transfer case was a case in point...I crawled under there on three different occasions before I figured out the leak was coming from nowhere near where I thought it was). If I were cstone, I'd pull the skid and crawl under there and take a really close look at everything. Might be worthwhile to add one of those UV dyes too (the kind that is safe for use in transmissions).
thats a good point. the UV dye may be a good way to go.. i mean...that much fluid had to go somewhere.. wind/driving may have just flushed it away before you could see a drip, but the UV stuff should...illuminate...the source.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
One thing with the UV dye that might be worth mentioning...since I brought it up... The instructions make it sound like you can add the dye, drive around the block, and locate the leak. But on one occasion that I've used it, the leak took a couple days of driving to become apparent. Something to be aware of.
another good point. if the leak has been a slow enough one to not be noticed, then i would also agree here. it may take days, or weeks for it to be noticed. i would say that if you check it the first couple days. then start checking for leaks weekly and find nothing.. then id be looking at other possibilities.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
You should pull the skid and check. I didn't realize my transfer case was leaking until I pulled off the skid for something else and discovered the fluid in the bottom of it.
Damn... I really feel like a Honda owner right now. I just have the stock SE tinfoil, but I was thinking it went back at least as far as the bell housing, but nope I guess I'm just too used to transverse mounted engines. There's no way it is leaking at the transmission as there are no drips or signs of any type of fluid on it. I also checked around where the lines for the trans cooling are run and there are no signs of leaking around there either. I'm sitting in it right now while it warms up, so I can check the fluid again. I'm glad I don't have any leaks, but still a confused about where it went.

*Edit - it was good after warming it up so I went for a short drive, I couldn't go very fast because the roads are snowy and there was traffic but I was able to get into 3rd and then came back and check it again. Fluid levels were still good so now I know for sure that there's no catastrophic leaks happening.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Re-Moderator
13,510 Posts
Got a new job, so now I can afford more mods for my Frontier! :thumbsup: After being repeatedly denied jobs, or even interviews, due to "lack of experience" it was nice to be offered a job on the spot because I was "exactly what we are looking for."

The job is less than 2 miles from my house, so I have the option of putting the truck back into daily driver service if I so choose.

·
Super Moderator
20,008 Posts
Got a new job, so now I can afford more mods for my Frontier! :thumbsup: After being repeatedly denied jobs, or even interviews, due to "lack of experience" it was nice to be offered a job on the spot because I was "exactly what we are looking for."

The job is less than 2 miles from my house, so I have the option of putting the truck back into daily driver service if I so choose.
That's walking distance. Congrats on the new job. :excellent:

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts

Congrats!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: x_mods

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts

congrats. Experience counts for alot, but it does suck when you know you can do the job, but everyone wants the proof.

drove to work, drove to a vendor, drove home, took a nap. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Checked all my fluids and pressure today...everything was perfect. 2012 crew cab pro-4x with about 35k miles. Almost ready for oil and tire rotation, 33" bfg km2's have no signs of wear at 5,000 miles surprisingly.

19601 - 19620 of 44530 Posts