Nissan Frontier Forum banner
44441 - 44460 of 44518 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,005 Posts
I'm always inclined to reserve judgment until upwards of 10,000 miles, I've found that most tires seem great when they're brand new.
Those Michelin Defender LTX are so good to me that I bought a 2nd set after putting over 80,000 miles on the first set. I would have put more miles on them if they had not started cracking between the tread blocks. When the time comes to replace again I will go with them again if they are still available in 18".

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
589 Posts
Those Michelin Defender LTX are so good to me that I bought a 2nd set after putting over 80,000 miles on the first set. I would have put more miles on them if they had not started cracking between the tread blocks. When the time comes to replace again I will go with them again if they are still available in 18".
I've seen countless stories like this from Tacomas and Frontiers and others, exactly why I decided to try them. Hoping for the same results for sure, what I've heard has impressed me.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Replaced the thermostat, what a complete pain in the rear.

Left the radiator fan in and pulled shroud up enough to be out of the way. Lining up those hidden bolts was a pain and had the joy of dropping one in the netherland of the engine bay. Local farm supply store 2 miles from me had a flanged cap screw that worked.

Glad that is over and hope the truck heats up a lot faster.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
FYI: Defender prices have gone up $40+ per tire since I got my 2nd set at the beginning of the pandemic in Spring '20.

·
Registered
2021 Frontier S K Cab 3.8 V6 9 speed Auto 2x4
115 Posts
LINE-X STANDARD
And left & right bed rails
Sorry can't say PRICE!!! but (y) LOOKS GOOD (y)
Sorry no pictures. (y)Looks Good (y)
The Line-X should hold the bed together, read that in your pass like 2007.
Happy TURKEY Day 😇

·
Registered
40 Posts
Took truck in for yearly oil change and inspection, failed inspection. I forgot to hook up third brake light on The Cap. Drove to auto parts store, connected the wire from the cap to the rear brake light and drove back to The Dealership. They brought the truck in right away, tested the lights and passed inspection. Teach me to procrastinate.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I took my keyfob apart and cleaned it. lots of gunk from when my stepson had it. Used a Q-tip and alcohol and now it works like new. Even with a new battery it was getting weak and would unlock all the doors on the second click.
I also washed it and cleaned the glass. I just need to vacuum and clean up where I spilled my Hazy IPA in the cup holder. :sneaky:

·
Registered
2008 Nissan Frontier SE
4 Posts
My '08 rolled over 200k a couple months ago, and it's been running great with normal maintenance. I noticed some power loss (engine power, not electrical) while driving around town 2 weeks ago, then the engine started cutting out on my on the way to my dad's shop. After a weekend of removing the manifold and swapping parts a couple times, we found the ignition coil on cylinder 1 went bad. Replaced it and I was back on the road. Then a couple days later the whole truck started shaking so I quickly drove to the shop again, and end up roll down the driveway in a dead truck. We got it into the shop and left it for several days (everyone was busy). Well when we finally had time to look it over, we found the front right Catalytic Converter was empty, and all the particulate matter was now in the rear right Catalytic Converter. The exhaust was completely clogged, and was causing back pressure into the engine compartment. So we replaced the Catalytic Converters, and then took the truck out for a drive. Oh it was nice to hear it driving like normal again.

As far as the CC being empty, we are under the assumption that the fuel that wasn't getting burned on cylinder 1 was being pumped out to the CC and pooling. Eating away at the fiber glass and soaking into the filtration material. Then when we got the new ignition coil, we set the first CC aflame from the soaked in gas, then it passed down stream and clogged CC2.

While we were at it, we also polished the headlights because they were extremely scuffed and yellowed. Now they're nice and shiny again, and night driving is much better.

·
Super Moderator
20,005 Posts
My '08 rolled over 200k a couple months ago, and it's been running great with normal maintenance. I noticed some power loss (engine power, not electrical) while driving around town 2 weeks ago, then the engine started cutting out on my on the way to my dad's shop. After a weekend of removing the manifold and swapping parts a couple times, we found the ignition coil on cylinder 1 went bad. Replaced it and I was back on the road. Then a couple days later the whole truck started shaking so I quickly drove to the shop again, and end up roll down the driveway in a dead truck. We got it into the shop and left it for several days (everyone was busy). Well when we finally had time to look it over, we found the front right Catalytic Converter was empty, and all the particulate matter was now in the rear right Catalytic Converter. The exhaust was completely clogged, and was causing back pressure into the engine compartment. So we replaced the Catalytic Converters, and then took the truck out for a drive. Oh it was nice to hear it driving like normal again.

As far as the CC being empty, we are under the assumption that the fuel that wasn't getting burned on cylinder 1 was being pumped out to the CC and pooling. Eating away at the fiber glass and soaking into the filtration material. Then when we got the new ignition coil, we set the first CC aflame from the soaked in gas, then it passed down stream and clogged CC2.

While we were at it, we also polished the headlights because they were extremely scuffed and yellowed. Now they're nice and shiny again, and night driving is much better.
If you drive too long with a misfire you will very likely destroy a cat or two in the process. That's why I replaced all 6 of my coils when one was randomly misfiring.

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
589 Posts
Got tired of the both power sockets being ignition power only, so I found the relay that powers the lower dash outlet and jumped it. The console power outlet or upper dash outlet (some trucks have one, the other, or both depending on year) are both wired through the ignition switch so they can not be powered constantly by jumping a relay. The lower dash socket is wired differently so I was able to just jump the relay. Easy enough process if you're decent at wiring, here's my how to on the electrical sub-forum.

Nice to have constant power again, this was something I missed ever since I sold my 05 Ranger which had one of each. Now I mimic that with my one keyed and one constant setup. I'm happy. Here is my write up in the electrical sub-forum for anyone interested:

How to Convert Your Lower Dash Socket from Ignition to Constant Battery Power

44441 - 44460 of 44518 Posts