Nissan Frontier Forum banner

43281 - 43300 of 43342 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,902 Posts
First time I’ve done this on my frontier, I didn’t even know we had cabin filters till a little while ago, my 03 ranger didn’t have them, not to bad for 5 years worth of debris. I’ve heard some frontiers don’t even come with them installed from the factory. Eek

What a royal pain in the butt to get the second filter back in. Which idiot designed this filter system?
View attachment 332275 View attachment 332276
That's pretty bad actually. Your HVAC system will thank you for removing the extra restrictions.

·
Registered
322 Posts
That's pretty bad actually. Your HVAC system will thank you for removing the extra restrictions.
Yes, I was more surprised there wasn’t a bunch of leaves completely covering the filters. They were black through the backside.

Reactions: Zero Six LE

·
Registered
2020 SV Crew
49 Posts
Got a couple of LED strips at the parts store and installed as DRLs under the headlights. We'll see how they hold up. Also installed the wheel skins I got from FLoYDua. Thank you man. Whole different look for the truck.
What if any of the silver part of the wheel isn't completely covered by the wheel skins? I'm thinking of either using a plastidip type coating or these. Can you post a good closeup of one of the wheels- thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier CCSB VS 4WD
61 Posts
Sweet

Where do the 2 car seats go? Middle & passenger
Yeah, my oldest is forward facing, so he'll go in the middle and I can tighten it by reaching in between the front seats. Youngest is still rear facing so he'll go on the passenger side. Figured this would be easier than trying to put the dog in the middle. Also, it's fully reversible for years down the road when they get to big to sit next to each other.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Scored a bed extender and used UCA's from ERTurne, thx very very much for same. I have a large toolbox in my bed that consumes almost half the space so having an extender will make carrying other objects much easier and more secure.

I'm going to take a look at the UCAs and probably order the 34mm extended balljoints from Australia, to check fitment and overall compatibility. Not that I don't prefer buying American and supporting our local industry, but if the 34s will bring the UCAs back to a stock ride position without changing anything else, after a 2.0+- lift from my new Bilstein 6112s, I'd like to keep the geometry in spec. Should help with proper camber as well. There was a thread running for just this subject and if I do get around to doing this, I will let everyone know how it went as this could be a nice alternative to those who don't want to swap UCAs, and what's the point of experimentation if you never publish your findings?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
First time I’ve done this on my frontier, I didn’t even know we had cabin filters till a little while ago, my 03 ranger didn’t have them, not to bad for 5 years worth of debris. I’ve heard some frontiers don’t even come with them installed from the factory. Eek

What a royal pain in the butt to get the second filter back in. Which idiot designed this filter system?
View attachment 332275 View attachment 332276
The filter on my Mazda was a literal afterthought. The PJB behind the glove box has to be unplugged and removed, followed by its mounting bracket (with nuts tightened to 80 ft/lb), then several trim pieces have to be removed, then the filter access door (which is screwed in) can be removed. The filter mounts vertically, so you pull the lower filter out and the top one falls down.

Installing the new ones is where it gets interesting. You have to slide the new top filter in, slide it up, then hold it there with your Houdini powers while sliding the bottom filter below it.

Then you have to play a game of "see what doesn't work" when reinstalling the PJB. One of the connectors is not ZIF, so having it not seated correctly causes all sorts of weird issues.

As for me, I joined the Group 24F battery club. The ol' OEM battery still functionally worked but it was giving out 400CCA when it was rated for 550CCAs. Figured I'd replace it as a preventative measure. $100 at Costco later and the truck cranks and starts noticeably faster.

The 24F Interstate is rated for 700CCAs and I got 780CCAs average of three tests. As posted elsewhere on here, the 24F is a literal drop-in replacement for the OEM Group 35 battery. It fits with 0 modifications required.

interstate-24F.JPG

·
Registered
322 Posts
The filter on my Mazda was a literal afterthought. The PJB behind the glove box has to be unplugged and removed, followed by its mounting bracket (with nuts tightened to 80 ft/lb), then several trim pieces have to be removed, then the filter access door (which is screwed in) can be removed. The filter mounts vertically, so you pull the lower filter out and the top one falls down.

Installing the new ones is where it gets interesting. You have to slide the new top filter in, slide it up, then hold it there with your Houdini powers while sliding the bottom filter below it.

Then you have to play a game of "see what doesn't work" when reinstalling the PJB. One of the connectors is not ZIF, so having it not seated correctly causes all sorts of weird issues.

As for me, I joined the Group 24F battery club. The ol' OEM battery still functionally worked but it was giving out 400CCA when it was rated for 550CCAs. Figured I'd replace it as a preventative measure. $100 at Costco later and the truck cranks and starts noticeably faster.

The 24F Interstate is rated for 700CCAs and I got 780CCAs average of three tests. As posted elsewhere on here, the 24F is a literal drop-in replacement for the OEM Group 35 battery. It fits with 0 modifications required.

View attachment 332312
Sounds like a nightmare.

what is the benefit of a bigger battery?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Actually a Group 31'll fit if you're willing to rework the battery cables and install longer J-Hook hold-down bolts, like I did. I love how beefy this monster is.

Reactions: Skinny06

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
What is the benefit of a bigger battery?
More reserve capacity for either longer key-off run-time of accessories; or deeper reserve when operating a winch as the winch will draw power much faster than the alternator can replenish it, so shorter wait-times between pulls ( assuming the duty-cycle of the winch motor is not the limiting factor ).

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Sounds like a nightmare.

what is the benefit of a bigger battery?
I got it down to where I could replace the CAF in under an hour. Quite a change with the Frontier and replacing it in 2 minutes.

I got the bigger battery for the modest increase in CCAs. With the brand new 24F, the battery voltage does not drop below 10.15v while cranking, and as I stated earlier, the engine cranks faster and starts sooner.

Batteries are one place where auto manufacturers save money. The OEM group 35 battery is rated for 550 CCAs. The cheapest group 35 batteries at the parts store are 520 CCAs, while mainline ones are 640 CCAs.

Going from 640 CCAs to 700 CCAs is not as big of a jump as from 550 to 640, but hey, the 24F was the original size for the Frontier pre-2010ish, and it's only $10 more than the 35.

·
Super Moderator
19,902 Posts
How much maintenance has it needed? I'm thinking by then I'll need to replace most of the suspension and steering parts.
Timing chains and such were changed under warranty. I have replaced shocks twice, brakes and rotors once, a window motor for the driver side, spark plugs twice, valve covers and gaskets a couple of times, battery 3 times, serpentine belt twice, fan clutch, thermostat, radiator, belt tensioner and a few hoses and such.

43281 - 43300 of 43342 Posts