Nissan Frontier Forum banner

42301 - 42320 of 42435 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think I saw that listing on Offerup.
Definitely found it on offerup. Phoenix. Came off a pretty nice looking truck but the topper does have a few cosmetic issues. Nothing some liner wont cover.

Man, you stole that thing! I've been keeping my eye out for one around here - the only one I saw was $1300. The 5' ones are like gold. I've seen a few for the 6' bed for under $1k but that does me no good... :(
I missed out on one 2 months back for 400 and was very bummed. There are a few 6 foot ones around here going for 200 or 300 bucks. Typical price for 5 footers seems to be 600 - 1000. I'm honestly not in the best spot financially to buy it (just put a down payment on a house) but didnt want to risk missing this one.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
An experiment that turned out to be way more involved than I had initially anticipated. I had the bright idea that since the Firestone RideRite airbags have a very limited internal volume, and so therefor the pressure will vary widely while driving, creating a pogo-ing effect, what if I added snubber / accumulator tanks to the circuits and added at the same time, an option to run the circuits in parallel, or tied together as a pool. So I built the system using Firestone 0.5 gallon pressure vessels and then found out my measuring skills didn't come out to the task and I had to change the plans on where the whole assembly was going to reside. So I mounted it vertically on the passenger's side; between my big steel toolbox and the rear cab wall, and then found out the complex ballet of pipe fittings I constructed to tie everything together, wasn't airtite even after going back and retightening everything once. So I stripped it down to minimum and installed pipe plugs temporarily where the cross-over manifold used to be, until the weather improves and I can have another go at it. Just proves the theory / concept of the age-old "mice n men" thing.

Okay, so an update on the whole pneumatic snubber idea. With the Wuhan and all ( and I'm sure glad it was only 2 weeks to "flatten the curve", which is now just about 1 yr ago ), my truck as probably true with most, sits more than it moves. Finally got it out to get some road miles on some uneven pavement ( its MD after all, the MDoT road crews lean on their shovels more than anything else ) and some nice frost heaves and broken pavement. Even with 30# in the bags, it rides way better than it did before, so I feel like the time and expense for this experiment wasn't wasted. The bag's internal volume themselves is pretty small, as others have observed, and hence cause some "pogoing" action in the rear, again as others have observed. This tames it to a high degree.

Reactions: clhyer

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,501 Posts
finished installing my front recovery points.

Cropped and brightened a bit:

the fabbed up angle irons don't hang down or protrude out any further than the "skid" plate on the front from the factory does. The hooks hang down low enough to be reachable but shouldn't drag. It is possible in a sufficently uphill pull that a rope might rub on the bumper cover a bit. I'm not particularly concerned if this happens though, especially with the cover being unpainted in the middle and the likelihood that I'll have a winch slotted into the receiver in such circumstances anyway.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Gave her a much needed bath now that the snow has melted up in CO.

Debating if I want to de-badge and de-decal her...Part of me really likes the clean look with no badging or pro-4x decals...but sometimes I actually like the pro-4x decals...

Thoughts?
My truck is debadge/destickered. I really like the look of it.
Meanwhile, I added "4x4 Off Road" box decals from a Nissan Titan and a "Texas Edition" badge on the tailgate.

Thank you to everyone that responded to my question about the window vents. I shall put them on my list of things to look into further.
I drove a WRX with window vent covers. I disliked how they obscured my view out the windows. I would only consider putting them on the rear windows, if at all. But on the other hand, I dislike anything obscuring my view out the windshield or front side windows. I got the front side windows tinted with 70% for the same reason.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Meanwhile, I added "4x4 Off Road" box decals from a Nissan Titan and a "Texas Edition" badge on the tailgate.

I drove a WRX with window vent covers. I disliked how they obscured my view out the windows. I would only consider putting them on the rear windows, if at all. But on the other hand, I dislike anything obscuring my view out the windshield or front side windows. I got the front side windows tinted with 70% for the same reason.
I'm not a super-tall guy, 5'8-ish but I keep my power seat all the way max height for a better forward view. The vents are invisible to the sides unless you are actually looking for them. A WRXs windows are a completely different shape, that's like saying I cant see the traffic light through the Cooper's windshield ( on my '08 you couldn't ) cause of the depth of the dash and the angle of the glass, versus say a 2002 Camaro with the world's biggest, most sloped windshield. A car is not an applicable comparison to a high-cab truck.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Washed Bettie off yesterday. Katana lights arrived today and I was giddy to get them in after work and go get them adjusted. Did so and holy hell what a difference, very very happy.
Yupper. Preach to the choir, missionary. Best $49.95 I've dropped in quite a while. Have four different vehicles now with Katana's installed, one Nissan and three Toyota's.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The miscommunication is rough, but before you take it to a professional check these out. I had a similar issue on the top end of my motorcycle build. The cam holder bolts were over-torqued by a shop leading to problems. They work really really well, and are way less likely to fail than a helicoil.

Got those on order now. Turns out the bit for the kit I need is slightly larger than the one we messed up and used. :) Talked to a local machine shop and they sent us this direction as well. Thanks for re-affirming! I was a little hesitant.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: clhyer and Skinny06

·
Registered
243 Posts
Damn, I hate that for you Steebo... :(

I like this set up! (y)(y)
Thanks! It will work out. I gotta keep the vibes up. Haha. I was down for real.

Reactions: clhyer

·
Registered
936 Posts
Got those on order now. Turns out the bit for the kit I need is slightly larger than the one we messed up and used. :) Talked to a local machine shop and they sent us this direction as well. Thanks for re-affirming! I was a little hesitant.

Nice! Glad you're going to get it back together without big costs! You'll likely never want to use helicoils again after using these, they are just so much better and a true permanent fix. They actually go a long way in solving the problem of using steel fasteners in aluminum.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Snagged a lube locker gasket for the rear diff. Have a super slow drip, I'm assuming from way back when I installed the diff skid. No real volume lost, but figure it'll be good to get a new gasket in there and it's about time to do fluids on the truck anyhow.

Also started accumulating the bits and bobs needed to swap to a group 31 battery.

Now just to decide on what battery to get.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Also started accumulating the bits and bobs needed to swap to a group 31 battery.
Now just to decide on what battery to get.
This is on my list too. Noticed the starter is beginning to spin slower and it takes a second or two more to start. Battery's the one the truck came with, got it used in 2018 w/ 53k. Now at 97k and change.

·
Registered
936 Posts
This is on my list too. Noticed the starter is beginning to spin slower and it takes a second or two more to start. Battery's the one the truck came with, got it used in 2018 w/ 53k. Now at 97k and change.
Yup, I noticed much the same. Since this pandemic started I've been using the wifes car to commute (hooray 30+ MPG) and the truck has been sitting. Really interested in the antigravity lithium ion battery, the specs are impressive. Oh and their full sized group 31 battery weighs 15.6 lbs. I've had one in one of my motorcycles for 9-10 years. Never put on a trickle charger, left idle for long periods of time, and (knock on wood) it still starts up the high compression motor with ease. However, it's a starting battery only so not sure how well it'd do running scene lights or charging a phone/camera batteries while the truck is off. The price is also . . staggering.

I'll likely end up going with an odyssey just for it's capabilities to function as a deep cycle and starting battery.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Yup, I noticed much the same. Since this pandemic started I've been using the wifes car to commute (hooray 30+ MPG) and the truck has been sitting. Really interested in the antigravity lithium ion battery, the specs are impressive. Oh and their full sized group 31 battery weighs 15.6 lbs. I've had one in one of my motorcycles for 9-10 years. Never put on a trickle charger, left idle for long periods of time, and (knock on wood) it still starts up the high compression motor with ease. However, it's a starting battery only so not sure how well it'd do running scene lights or charging a phone/camera batteries while the truck is off. The price is also . . staggering.

I'll likely end up going with an odyssey just for it's capabilities to function as a deep cycle and starting battery.
That qualifies as apocalyptic, though staggering works as well. I'm going to go Group 31 deep-cycle, not only for the deep-cycle as such, but also for the fact that the plates are thicker and slightly further apart and would resist off-road vibration better. I had an Optima red-top back when they were good and bought it from a co-worker used. It was 13 yrs old when I forgot to keep it charged well enough and one winter it froze and died. Now that was a battery. Their qualities dropped off the cliff in recent years, sadly.
Probably go with a WallyWorldLand Maxx as Johnson builds most of them anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That qualifies as apocalyptic, though staggering works as well. I'm going to go Group 31 deep-cycle, not only for the deep-cycle as such, but also for the fact that the plates are thicker and slightly further apart and would resist off-road vibration better. I had an Optima red-top back when they were good and bought it from a co-worker used. It was 13 yrs old when I forgot to keep it charged well enough and one winter it froze and died. Now that was a battery. Their qualities dropped off the cliff in recent years, sadly.
Probably go with a WallyWorldLand Maxx as Johnson builds most of them anyway.
Johnson sold its car battery business a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
If they did, their still using the name. You can read the label on the batteries at Walmart,interstate,autozone etc, still says Johnson Controls.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
42301 - 42320 of 42435 Posts