Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41981 - 42000 of 42105 Posts

·
Admin
3,360 Posts
New brakes on all 4 corners, and oil an change. I had been running drilled and slotted EBC brakes (shown on the ground) which were really good, but moving from the KO2 (53lbs) tire to a GY Trail Runner (39lbs), I felt I didn't need them as much and so I went much less expensive. These are Powerstop coated rotors. Never tried them before. lt will be interesting to see if these hold up any better than the EBC coated rotors (which were all black when I put them on in June 2018.
IMG_4499a.jpg

Pic of EBC rotor in June 2018.

2018-06-20-NewDBCBrakes-04.JPG

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
My friend did it with hid Mac tools scan tool

·
Registered
7 Posts
Started the spark plug change by pulling the intake manifold off and replacing the gaskets. Was pretty easy going since the truck has been in the south it’s whole life and has no rust. Everything looked incredibly clean but I ran out of time tonight to finish the job. NDFrontierOwner suggested I replace the PCV valve, so while I have it with the manifold off is there anything else you guys can suggest I look at replacing before finishing while I have it torn down this far? 2012 CC S 2wd w/ 90K

·
Registered
421 Posts
Started the spark plug change by pulling the intake manifold off and replacing the gaskets. Was pretty easy going since the truck has been in the south it’s whole life and has no rust. Everything looked incredibly clean but I ran out of time tonight to finish the job. NDFrontierOwner suggested I replace the PCV valve, so while I have it with the manifold off is there anything else you guys can suggest I look at replacing before finishing while I have it torn down this far? 2012 CC S 2wd w/ 90K View attachment 326192
View attachment 326193 View attachment 326194
Change this too. When I researched a lot said it would be like glass, and it was.

·
Premium Member
2020 Frontier King Cab SV 4x4
103 Posts
Converted to LED turn signals a few months back, been playing around with finding bulbs that work well in the housings. I’ve tried stuff from GTR, Morimoto, Sylvania, Diode dynamics, and VLEDS. DD’s HP24 switchbacks were decent up front, but VLEDS 70-LED are a lot better.
Could you provide a link for the VLEDS you used in front? Also curious if you used their resistors, or something else?

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
52 Posts
Could you provide a link for the VLEDS you used in front? Also curious if you used their resistors, or something else?
Sure thing. I just used the standard 7443 70-LED that pops up when you enter Nissan Frontier into the application guide.

I am using their Triton VLR-3 Resistors. I much prefer these over the cheap gold resistors from other brands. They don't get near as hot and seem to be a better build quality with way more surface area to disperse heat. Since these are the 3 Ohm model, they count for two bulbs each. I wired one to each rear turn signal wiring, and using the super strong supplied tape, stuck them right to the underside of the bed. They are there for the long haul, it takes serious finger effort to rip them off. I really like the quick threaded connector they use too for easy removal and replacement if I ever need to.

If desired instead, you could run 4 VLR6s, one at each corner. I see no reason to do that though when you can spend half the money, do half the work, and end up with the same result. No clue if 6's or 3's last longer than each other though. I doubt either fail very often.

Out back, I used their 3157/3157CK/3156 50-LED amber. Super visible. I can't upload videos so I'll upload a pic of a paused video to give an idea. They look blurry in pics, they are super sharp in person. Very bright without being obnoxious.

IMG_1348.PNG IMG_1350.PNG

I also used their 3157/3157CK red in the tail lights and they are super clean as well.

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
52 Posts
Upgraded my fog lights to Diode Dynamics SS3s.

Notes here on my build thread: [038] Upgraded Fog Lights

View attachment 326200
Those look awesome. I want the same ones but haven't pulled the trigger due to not knowing if they'll work in the upcoming Nismo bumper. That's a high price to pay if they might not fit my possible future bumper. Sure do look good though, and I'm sure are great quality being from DD and very functional as well since they're amber/yellow instead of white.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Those look awesome. I want the same ones but haven't pulled the trigger due to not knowing if they'll work in the upcoming Nismo bumper. That's a high price to pay if they might not fit my possible future bumper. Sure do look good though, and I'm sure are great quality being from DD and very functional as well since they're amber/yellow instead of white.
DD give you an option for the stock mounting bracket or aftermarket... they will work on any bumper

Reactions: BLtheP

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
52 Posts
DD give you an option for the stock mounting bracket or aftermarket... they will work on any bumper
Interesting. The Nismo bumper looks like it's built for Rigid D series cubes. Currently I have the Rigid fog kit for frontiers that adapts the D series fog light to the stock frontier bumper. I was assuming that DD's being built directly for our bumper means they would not bolt up to the spots made for a Rigid D cube on the Nismo bumper. Do you have any pics of what you received in the DD kit? That would be great to be able to use them on the Nismo bumper.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Installed Philips Xtreme Vision headlight bulbs. Definite noticed improvement over the likely stock sylvania bulbs (bought truck used). I think any new bulb would have been an improvement but if these stay as bright and tight as new for at least a year, I’ll be impressed. Edit: Also noticed the Philips glass was slightly taller and wider than the sylvania.

There seems to be a more defined beam, especially at the hotspot in the low beams, with some slightly more noticed side light. And the high beams have a lot more fill. Previous bulbs were unbelievably dim and not nearly enough fill when the highs were on.

Changing the bulbs was not fun. Driver side is easy, passenger is a pain. I didn’t want to remove the battery so just removed the bracket that holds it down for that ever so slight amount of space it took up. It still took me way too long trying to get the white retainer ring twisted into place. Also felt like the bulbs never really snap into place before that ring is on? I realize the ring is there to “retain” but thought the bulbs would “click” in first as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also felt like the bulbs never really snap into place before that ring is on? I realize the ring is there to “retain” but thought the bulbs would “click” in first as well.
I also bought a used Frontier and thought the exact same thing about the headlights. Today I installed the Katana LED lights and had the same thoughts about the retaining ring. Luckily, I didn’t have to adjust the lights.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I also bought a used Frontier and thought the exact same thing about the headlights. Today I installed the Katana LED lights and had the same thoughts about the retaining ring. Luckily, I didn’t have to adjust the lights.
Glad it’s not just me then. Let me know how you feel about the katanas vs stock bulb output and beam spread! Been on the fence with them, figured I’d try “the best” halogen first.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I sure will!
Don't even bother thinking about it, just mash the Buy it Now button. There are no halogens that I've found anywhere in the world that can hold a candle ( pardon the pun ) to the Katana's. And I've tried many, over the years.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Experiment coming up soon, most likely tomorrow. I have had Firestone RideRite airbags on board for a couple years now. Purchased 6" dia by 7" long 1/2 gallon air capacity steel tanks to add into the circuit as snubbers. The thought is, is that when the bag(s) compress over bumps, the spring rate increases exponentially as the air pressure rises, making them ride softer then stiff, softer then stiff, and creating some pogo'ing action. The tanks will provide "overflow space" to allow the air to compress at a slower rate cause there is now 2 to 3 times the contained volume in play.

Gonna be a $150.00 experiment by the time I'm done, not sure if it'll have any real-world benefits but I've been a tinkerer since I was a kid and I think the physics are sound. I'm also going to add a cross-over pipe with a ball valve in-line, to permit the tanks to be coupled, or separated, on-demand. I already have dual fill ports but some folk said having them coupled made it ride smoother, so now I'll be able to do either simply by sliding underneath the rear bumper and operating the isolation valve. Should be interesting, I'll report my results. I'll also be posting a YouTube video detailing the install. I may have missed it somewhere else, but I may be the first to try this on a Frontier.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
I had the Clutch replaced and... [EXPLETIVE], its responsive! I'm gonna have to relearn how to drive.
How many miles did you get out of your factory clutch/flywheel?
Did you stick w/ OEM or go aftermarket?
Any extreme-duty miles on your original clutch?
Inquiring minds...TIA

41981 - 42000 of 42105 Posts