Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41941 - 41960 of 42105 Posts

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
265 Posts
I'm in texas so really not an issue I think. Let me find someone with a good looking set that I like and I'll say bye bye to these pro 4x style wheels.
What you don't like the pro-x4 wheels? I think they look slightly better than the alloys personally. Well, hell, hit me up if you do get around to selling them.

I think steelies are heavier than aluminum wheels. If that's the case then they'd add unsprung weight which will negatively affect braking abilities, suspension, and steering components. Probably not to any noticeable degree but it's still a consideration.
Yes they are, but they have the added benefit of if you ever have a bad enough blowout you can easily drive over a mile on them, saw cheap (yet well built) trailer steelies with a heavy load do that and completely chuck the tire and all the tire shop had to do was bang out a small dent.(I do not really recommend ever trying this on purpose) Though its great to consider for emergency's.

·
Registered
886 Posts
are there any cons to the steelies ? I really like the look...usually I see them and they are rusty messes , but surely if you use yours as winter wheels, they must be holding up fine?
I like the look as well. Mine have been holding up pretty well. Garage helps. They use road salt down here in VA. Not as much as northern states.
20200303_123928.jpg

·
Registered
2005 Frontier, 4l, 6 speed crew cab, 4WD
40 Posts
I purchased mine ('05 Frontier Se, 4WD, 6 speed) at the end of August. Since then, I have installed fog lights, led bulbs, installed a cap with matching color, wired the cap for led lights, installed led backup lights in the back bumper, added a class 3 tow hitch, brake controller, GPS mapping, ladder rack and increased the tire size (275/75-16). Oh, lest I forget, a deep groove accessory belt, idler pulley and learned that Nissan put an ignition shut off to prevent a non-fob key from starting the truck. I love this truck! There were a few things that I could have not needed to learn about the hard way.

·
Registered
2020 Pro 4x
103 Posts
Installed my most expensive mod yet . Two stickers for $825, one that had the number 1 on it, and one that had the number 22 on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What you don't like the pro-x4 wheels? I think they look slightly better than the alloys personally. Well, hell, hit me up if you do get around to selling them.

Yes they are, but they have the added benefit of if you ever have a bad enough blowout you can easily drive over a mile on them, saw cheap (yet well built) trailer steelies with a heavy load do that and completely chuck the tire and all the tire shop had to do was bang out a small dent.(I do not really recommend ever trying this on purpose) Though its great to consider for emergency's.
Many lifetimes ago I had a 1951 Ford F2 (3/4 ton) that had 7.50-16 bias tires. It was common to beat out dents on wheels (wow - that was more than 50 years ago and yes, it makes me feel old! )

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Just finished fabricating brackets to hold recovery boards to my Thule crossbars. Now onto tackle the xterra off road light button project
Pics please! :cool:

Reactions: Zero Six LE

·
Registered
396 Posts

Don't know what they're worth tbh. Pm some kind of an offer, and some kind of idea of why that's a good price and I'll be done with them once I have replacements. I am not looking to profit etc but a deal that's good for both of us would work. I'm in texas though lol.

·
Registered
886 Posts

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
265 Posts
Used to be on ebay for around $63 each shipped, but looks like everyone has bought them out. Found these on amazon because I was looking for one more.
https://www.amazon.com/Aftermarket-...=Nissan+Frontier+Wheels&qid=1610150278&sr=8-2
Umm those wheels say 16x6.5, yes there the right bolt pattern, but they are a bit skinny compared to the standard OEM wheels of 7.5in wide.

EDIT: they are 16x7's... my bad, there is a 7.5 in wide wheel but it is not a 16r.
Don't know what they're worth tbh. Pm some kind of an offer, and some kind of idea of why that's a good price and I'll be done with them once I have replacements. I am not looking to profit etc but a deal that's good for both of us would work. I'm in Texas though lol.
I don't have any issue driving down to Texas, I've done it before for work and it isn't a bad drive. Got extended family down near Austin. That being said right now would be a bad idea for me(in-between jobs atm). I'd be more than willing to pay a fair price for them in the future I considering I know what other places are asking. Ill pm you if the opportunity arises, if you have them still great, if not oh well. Now if you said you were in Oklahoma, that would be a problem, I refuse to go anywhere near that state since I witnessed the 2013 El Reno tornado. First one I ever saw, and hopefully the last.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Umm those wheels say 16x6.5, yes there the right bolt pattern, but they are a bit skinny compared to the standard OEM wheels of 7.5in wide.
Stock has always been 16x7 unless they changed in recent years. Mine were stamped 16x7 before I sold them. Any way I don't think .5 would make a difference especially if your running a full set or just one as a spare.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Pics please! :cool:
So I took a small sheet of steel and attached it to my Thule bars via square u-bolts and then I attached the recovery board rods to the metal sheet. Lastly, hit them with a coat of paint (Behr spray paint is awesome by the way!).

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Changed the front and rear diff oil this week with Valvoline Synthetic...easy job and no glitter in old oil at 30k. Trans and transfer case may be next.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think steelies are heavier than aluminum wheels. If that's the case then they'd add unsprung weight which will negatively affect braking abilities, suspension, and steering components. Probably not to any noticeable degree but it's still a consideration.
Not to mention ride quality. I like the OEM wheels on my truck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm ready to schedule some shop time. Oil, filter and other maintanence items. Since the end of July when we bought out Frontier, we have done much to make it ours. We changed oil from what ever it had to a full synthetic everywhere, added fog light, a cap, ladder rack, an in dash GPS, radio, cd/DVD player, replaced an axel, installed a cap and wired led lighting, 12 volt power center, OH and learned that Nissan put an anti-theth ignition lock out if you use a key without the intelligent fob (I purchased & programmed 2 of those keys..), replaced filters and installed tires on the 4 corners and installed Led back up lights in the rear bumper. So, that was quite a bunch of effort in the 6 months I've owned my Frontier with much time crawling around making things happen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Aluminum wheels look good, can be lighter than steel but will not tolerate running flat. Steel is much easier to modify, are much stronger and can be run on the wheel for much longer. I used to make custom offsets for drag and round round cars that even held air pressure.

41941 - 41960 of 42105 Posts