Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41661 - 41671 of 41671 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Well, I haven't had a lot of time recently to do much with my Frontier. So while trolling Facebook Marketplace I came across a 2001 Frontier King Cab RWD. Basic truck 2.4 4 banger. I went to look at it right away because these kinds of trucks don't sit for long. I grabbed it up. I was told it had a bad starter and couldn't get it running. I found it has a broken alt belt and the battery is dead. I just picked up a new belt for $8.00. I plan on installing it tomorrow after work. Oh yeah, and it only has 70k on the clock. It was an old lady's truck till she passed and her daughter has kept it since. I am super stoked. I've been looking for a beater truck for some time and I really wanted another Frontier.
reminds me of the Hardbody trucks I had. The first '95 had a bad starter powercable at one point.

Reactions: ubertalldude

·
Registered
2002 Nissan Frontier XE
24 Posts
Hmm, truck in the shop for a valve leak n its also leaking fuel and a couple replacement hoses. Love the truck but I don't think I can keep up with the repairs.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,950 Posts
Well, I haven't had a lot of time recently to do much with my Frontier. So while trolling Facebook Marketplace I came across a 2001 Frontier King Cab RWD. Basic truck 2.4 4 banger. I went to look at it right away because these kinds of trucks don't sit for long. I grabbed it up. I was told it had a bad starter and couldn't get it running. I found it has a broken alt belt and the battery is dead. I just picked up a new belt for $8.00. I plan on installing it tomorrow after work. Oh yeah, and it only has 70k on the clock. It was an old lady's truck till she passed and her daughter has kept it since. I am super stoked. I've been looking for a beater truck for some time and I really wanted another Frontier.
The iron hearted KA24DE is a great engine! I'm almost at 300k and still on the original timing chain too.

I'm not gentle on my truck in any type of way and she still runs like a champ and has never let me down. Scroll up to post #41603 to see what I'm referring to.

With proper maintenance she'll run forever.
Excellent purchase!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Changed out the brake pads - the OEM pads SUCKED !! They inspired zero confidence in the brakes, even when I was on the brakes hard, the ABS wouldn’t activate. I replaced the pads with Wagner OEX ones. These are better, with more initial bite, but I may end up with semi metallic to get the feel I want.
Changed the brake fluid to synthetic DOT 3/4 Valvoline and bled several air bubbles out of the front system.
If you braked hard but did not lock the brakes, the system is working as intended. ABS activates if it senses that the wheels will lock and cause the vehicle to skid. Maximum braking is achieved when the wheels can still rotate; not when they are locked and sliding.

An exception to that is on loose surfaces. In that case, you want the wheels to lock. The first time I went off-road in the Frontier, I forgot about that and took way too long to come to a stop from 25mph on sandy gravel. 2nd-gen 4x4 Frontiers have hill descent control, where you can definitely hear the ABS working overtime.

Our perceptions of acceptable braking are quite the opposite. I think the OEM brakes are excellent. I barely need the weight of my foot to come to a stop. My F-250 had vacuum-assist power brakes, but that truck weighed 7,400lbs. I had to forcefully push the brake pedal to come to a stop at a reasonable pace. Braking at a slightly faster pace was largely not possible.

I ended up changing the brake lines for braided stainless steel. That was an improvement, but not as much as I would've hoped for. I then changed the pads to semi-metallic. Semi-metallics offer the best braking performance at low temperatures, but they chew up rotors, dust like heck, and tend to make noise.

After changing out for semi-metallics, the weight of my foot could bring that 7,400lb truck easily to a stop...while towing a 5,000lb trailer. Without the trailer, I had to feather the brakes. The next step would've been to change out the vacuum-assist system for the hydroboost system from F-350s and diesel F-250s, but I didn't have to go that far.

·
Admin
3,312 Posts
This is my beater truck!
I like it! and it looks clean and well taken care of.

I think we were just wondering 'what have you done for it lately' :) There is a 'post a picture of your truck' thread where no explanation is necessary :)

Reactions: Zero Six LE
41661 - 41671 of 41671 Posts