Nissan Frontier Forum banner

40541 - 40560 of 40642 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Next time try MAP gas it is hotter than propane.
Next time just cut the bolts with a Sawzall. That's what I did. Took 5 mins each bolt. Glad you were able to get them out.
As for the cam bolts, typically you would adjust the rear bolt so it pushes the rear out and put the front so it pulls the front in. This effectively moves your tire about 1" forward in the wheel opening. Centers the wheel/tire better and allows you to run a size larger tire with little to no rub.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Next time just cut the bolts with a Sawzall. That's what I did. Took 5 mins each bolt. Glad you were able to get them out.
As for the cam bolts, typically you would adjust the rear bolt so it pushes the rear out and put the front so it pulls the front in. This effectively moves your tire about 1" forward in the wheel opening. Centers the wheel/tire better and allows you to run a size larger tire with little to no rub.
I wish I was that lucky. I tried a sawzall first. Destroyed 6 blades and got a little over half way through the first cut. The saw was so hot I could barely hold it. So I gave that up.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I wish I was that lucky. I tried a sawzall first. Destroyed 6 blades and got a little over half way through the first cut. The saw was so hot I could barely hold it. So I gave that up.
I'm guessing you had the wrong composition blade for the bolts. Or you got the rare unobtanium alloy bolt kit.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier Pro-4x
68 Posts
Heading up to the mountains tomorrow morning to run Rollins Pass, which reminded me that I had yet to come up with a way to mount my Rotopax in my bed.

That being said, I rigged up some bungees and additionally secured the Rotopax using my storage tote that contains all of my trail recovery gear and tools:

Also, picked up some paint to paint my grille. I like how it looks with the gunmetal Plastidip I did a couple months ago...but I don't love the durability of it. Looks good from 5 feet away, but up close there are some rock chips starting to peel the plastidip. I'm incredibly OCD so I'm thinking I'll take the plunge and just permanently paint the grille:

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
4 Posts
So can anyone tell me any good upgrades for a 2017 Frontier SV 4x4 to help increase power and fuel economy?? Just wondering if I can get to 300hp :)

·
Registered
2016 Frontier Pro-4x
68 Posts
So can anyone tell me any good upgrades for a 2017 Frontier SV 4x4 to help increase power and fuel economy?? Just wondering if I can get to 300hp :)
You could go with an intake manifold space which is rumored to give you 20-25+ horsepower. Nissan Gen2 Products | eXtreme Truck Performance – XTP IMS intake manifold spacers for Nissan, & Toyota with 4.0 engines for performance gain! Made in USA!

Otherwise an aftermarket cold air intake will maybe get you (very) minimal horsepower gains...the stock OEM intake for the Frontier is pretty free flowing.

Otherwise you could look at adding a tuner chip, something like: https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Diagnostic-Performance-Tuner-4-Preloaded/dp/B00N396SHE/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=nissan+frontier+tuner&qid=1596210472&s=automotive&sr=1-3

Can't say that either will help you in the MPG realm, and generally an increase in performance comes with a decrease in MPG.

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
4 Posts
Yea but if you can get your engine to run cooler and burn cleaner it will get better MPG.. Now yea if you are hard on the gas pedal a lot you with drink gas... But Thank you very much.. Its something I plan on looking into once I put my wheel spacers on..

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'd hope that fuel economy is a side-effect and not an objective. If you spend, say $300 on a tuner that increases your fuel economy a very optimistic 10%, from say 18mpg to 19.8mpg and gas is $3 a gallon, you'd have to drive 20,000 miles to pay the darn thing off before you begin to start saving money.

The rest below is general information, not targeted at anyone specifically.

It's like when I get asked whether it makes sense to buy a second car with the primary objective to save gas money. The answer is almost always "no", unless that second car is stupid cheap and gets really good gas mileage. Take me for example. I always had a second commuter car, but for other reasons. I bought a $21,000 stick-shift Honda to commute in. It gets literally double the gas mileage of the Frontier, 36mpg vs 18mpg. So my fuel bill got chopped in half.

Problem is, I paid $21,000 for the luxury. $21,000 buys a lot of gas. With my old commute of 25,000 miles a year, I'd save roughly $2000 annually. So on gas savings alone, it would take me 10 years to break even, at which point the car would have a quarter million miles. That does not factor in oil changes, repairs, tires, etc, which would kick the can further down the road.

All depends on what your objectives are, but I'd advise anyone looking to buy a 2nd car to "save gas money" to figure out what their break-even points are. Once I run this Honda up, I'm thinking of buying a used Prius from a place where they aren't popular (Texas?) so they're less expensive for one in decent condition. Priuses are quarter-million mile cars easily.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Heading up to the mountains tomorrow morning to run Rollins Pass, which reminded me that I had yet to come up with a way to mount my Rotopax in my bed.

That being said, I rigged up some bungees and additionally secured the Rotopax using my storage tote that contains all of my trail recovery gear and tools:
View attachment 320191

Also, picked up some paint to paint my grille. I like how it looks with the gunmetal Plastidip I did a couple months ago...but I don't love the durability of it. Looks good from 5 feet away, but up close there are some rock chips starting to peel the plastidip. I'm incredibly OCD so I'm thinking I'll take the plunge and just permanently paint the grille:

View attachment 320192
The paint will chip worse than the Plastidip,, sadly

·
Registered
582 Posts
quarter million mile car,,,,, if it was free, it still would not be worth being seen in one,,let alone driving one,,, lol
Believe me, I'm not a fan of Priuses either. I'd much rather get a Honda Accord hybrid or the new Toyota Corolla hybrid. I consider those the thinking man's Prius since they get nearly the same fuel economy but look like normal cars.

The Ford Escape hybrid and Toyota RAV4 hybrid are also contenders. They aren't much more expensive (the Toyota hybrid is $900 more than an equivalent non-hybrid) and since I won't be looking for a few years anyway, it gives the current owners time to rack up some miles and depreciate their cars lol. I'd also much prefer a crossover over a sedan.

Reactions: Rahlow

·
Registered
Great truck
872 Posts
my sister has a prius for the commute and loves it. and actually, my dad had one for a few years for the same reason. as long as you don't mind knowing you are going to replace the 1500 dollar battery every 5ish years, you will be good. changing the battery is a whole "nother" deal though as a bunch of the car has to come apart to replace it.

but, after riding in the ones my family members had, I am very impressed by them. they might not look "cool" but when I am paying 10 dollars a month against someone else paying 100 a month in gas, I will take the ugly duckling all day long

·
Registered
582 Posts
my sister has a prius for the commute and loves it. and actually, my dad had one for a few years for the same reason. as long as you don't mind knowing you are going to replace the 1500 dollar battery every 5ish years, you will be good. changing the battery is a whole "nother" deal though as a bunch of the car has to come apart to replace it.

but, after riding in the ones my family members had, I am very impressed by them. they might not look "cool" but when I am paying 10 dollars a month against someone else paying 100 a month in gas, I will take the ugly duckling all day long
Typically the whole battery doesn't entirely go bad. Individual cells do, and they aren't too difficult to replace. Just time-consuming. If it was my 2nd car, I'd have no problem having it on jack stands for a week or two while diagnosing and replacing the dead cell. Obviously if it was my only car, I'd rather pay the $1500 to have the entire traction battery replaced.

I'm also the same way. I'll drive a pink Prius for the right price. Everyone's finances and life situations are different, but I'd rather, say, drive my pink Prius to my single-family home and throw the annual gas savings at my mortgage than drive my $40,000 F-150 to my 1-bedroom apartment.

That's why I have a Frontier. Yes, I could've gotten an F-150 for the same price that gets the same gas mileage, but purchase price is not the end-all, be-all. Maintenance and repairs need to be factored into Total Cost of Ownership, and the Frontier gets the job done with good reliability and low maintenance costs. Heck, the 5.0L F-150s need nearly 9 quarts of oil.

When the time comes for me to jump back to full-size, I'll be taking a good, strong look at the F-150 3.3L V6. I really want a Lariat, but I don't need a turbocharged engine. I haul household goods and equipment. They're bulky but not heavy. I just want a larger truck to carry more at once. The bonus is that the 3.3L V6 is physically the smallest engine, so there's plenty of room to reach things. Heck, I'm almost sure I could stand next to it in the engine bay LOL.

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
391 Posts
..well.. since we are talking hybrids, electrics, etc. I'd much rather drive a first gen chevy volt than a prius or any variation of the other cars mentioned above. In my opinion they are actually somewhat stylish and, depending on the your commute, you never really have to use gas. I was able to go strictly on battery for my round trip daily commute of 40 miles. Then, if I needed a longer trip, the car can automatically switch to a built in generator essentially, which generates electricity to keep the vehicle going. IT would average 40+mpg in this mode.

If I have the need for a "commuter" again -- this would be my choice. Only got rid of it because it was too small for once we started having kids.. damn kids!

·
Registered
48 Posts
AAL and Timbrens went on today. A little more rake than I wanted, but not bad. Hopefully things will settle in the back over time.

Next on the list is new tires. It looks a little goofy now with the road tires.

·
Registered
339 Posts
AAL and Timbrens went on today. A little more rake than I wanted, but not bad. Hopefully things will settle in the back over time.

Next on the list is new tires. It looks a little goofy now with the road tires.
Pictures or it didn’t happen, lol

40541 - 40560 of 40642 Posts