Nissan Frontier Forum banner

39441 - 39460 of 39525 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Picked up a clock spring / spiral cable from a JY Xterra that had cruise control for the sole purpose of using the CC switch as the mute button for my radar detector.
Short press of the button mutes the RD when alerting and long press allows to change display setting with subsequent short presses. The options are Auto, Bright, Dim, Dimmer and Off.
Any button on the CC switch can be used to mute.

·
Registered
902 Posts
What do those tubes do for the rear axle?
those are RC traction bars for a Titan modified to fit the frontier. They prevent axle wrap. especially when using blocks. I could immediately tell the axle wrap stopped as soon as I pulled away after the install. these are a good thing for when towing.

·
Registered
None, yet
126 Posts
you were getting axle wrap when towing with no blocks? or just with blocks? I ask because I am going to be towing also and have never had axle wrap in any other vehicles when not lifted so if this is a frontier issue, I would like to plan ahead for it. I have helper springs I had previously bought for my Sonoma but they never got installed so they are still in the box that I was going to put on the frontier, if I ended up needing a little extra capacity in the back.

·
Registered
902 Posts
first off the factory springs are an issue with the frontiers. they do not have the capacity for any real weight or actual work as a truck. The OEM springs have been crap since the beginning. I have updated to general spring 450# over stock and still slightly S warped the new springs. The lift kit I have on the truck amplifies the issue by creating more axle wrap than stock, but to answer your question, the springs are to soft, factory springs wrap under load and acceleration. so I had axle wrap before the lift, was ok for a while with the brand new general springs until they started to flatten and S warp, and even more so with the 4" block acting as a fulcrum point to twist the leafs. The firestone airbags help with load and to even the truck out. while the traction bars keep the axle from wrapping.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
What I will do for my frontier is install my Mosnot front turn signals and Lasfit fog light LEDs once the decontamination process is over. Had to cancel and re order the Katana’s do to billing mix up. No worries though..
Be safe people!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I was trying to figure out if I could use my old radar detectors mute button for anything before removing it and I came up with a plan.
The Kicker Key 180.4 amplifier has an Auto setup feature that can be toggled back and forth between the auto setup optimized audio and original audio. The cord that came with the amp has a microphone and a button. The button both initiates the start of auto setup and toggles between optimized and original audio but it's 11' 6" long.
So I snipped, stripped, soldered and heat shrinked a 3.5mm headphone cord to the wire of the momentary switch that was my RD's old mute button.

It works great. The toggling between optimized and original audio will be dependent upon whether I have a passenger or not.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The Frontier is at my buddy’s body shop getting the rust spot fixed and both bed sides repainted. It was rusting from behind the paint. Also adding bigger pieces of the clear rock guard.

CE5E37D8-3613-4E86-9DEE-D2F29727DE53.jpeg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Changed the oil this morning, but more importantly gave the recently installed RideRites and Bilsteins a decent if not heavily loaded test. on a 500 mile round trip up to Utopia, Texas in Bandera County just last week. With two passengers and a full if not really heavy load in the bed, the truck rode very well with no sag and a noticeably, even to the passengers, improved controlled ride on Farm to Market 624 from Hwy 281 to Texas Highway 16 through McMullen County. That road could be a shock absorber test track after a few years of Eagle Ford Shale truck traffic and the Frontier ran the road in a significantly improved manner and this was not it's first run down that road by any means. Just a mile or so of dirt road so no test there but did have 5 sacks of deer corn at the very end of the bed and no noticeable sag with only 10 Pounds in the air bags. Quite happy with bags and shocks both. 5100s on the front next but sits fairly level with the boat on anyway.
RideRite Driver.JPG
2014 4x4_14.JPG

·
Registered
None, yet
126 Posts
They must have had some rain with how green those pics are. My parents live in leakey and we go to utopia enough to know they are usually a more brown color, ha ha ha, like leakey

·
Registered
96 Posts
Utopia still pretty dry as it is here on Baffin Bay. Mesquites greened up good and the green grass is where I wash the boat off here at home.

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
Filled up w/ 79.9 cents/gallon reg unleaded due to $1 off/gal grocery store discount from stocking my freezer = $15.35 & 19.21 gal computing out to a respectable 18.63 mpg.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Changed the oil this morning, but more importantly gave the recently installed RideRites and Bilsteins a decent if not heavily loaded test. on a 500 mile round trip up to Utopia, Texas in Bandera County just last week. With two passengers and a full if not really heavy load in the bed, the truck rode very well with no sag and a noticeably, even to the passengers, improved controlled ride on Farm to Market 624 from Hwy 281 to Texas Highway 16 through McMullen County. That road could be a shock absorber test track after a few years of Eagle Ford Shale truck traffic and the Frontier ran the road in a significantly improved manner and this was not it's first run down that road by any means. Just a mile or so of dirt road so no test there but did have 5 sacks of deer corn at the very end of the bed and no noticeable sag with only 10 Pounds in the air bags. Quite happy with bags and shocks both. 5100s on the front next but sits fairly level with the boat on anyway.
View attachment 315345 View attachment 315344
Looks great. I'm thinking of going this route. I have OME heavies and already have the daystar cradles. I really like the suspension setup and don't see much squat until i really load it up. I've been putting off to see if i really need the airbags or not.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
With two passengers and a full if not really heavy load in the bed, the truck rode very well with no sag and a noticeably, even to the passengers, improved controlled ride on Farm to Market 624 from Hwy 281 to Texas Highway 16 through McMullen County. That road could be a shock absorber test track after a few years of Eagle Ford Shale truck traffic and the Frontier ran the road in a significantly improved manner and this was not it's first run down that road by any means. Just a mile or so of dirt road so no test there but did have 5 sacks of deer corn at the very end of the bed and no noticeable sag with only 10 Pounds in the air bags. Quite happy with bags and shocks both. 5100s on the front next but sits fairly level with the boat on anyway.
Agree 101%. We ran the Golden Road ( a lumber tote track ) in Maine last yr, actually ran it twice, once before the RideRites and once after ( a longer run second time ), over about 60+ miles of continuous washboard. This is a dirt / gravel "highway" that runs from the logging camps all the way to Canada ( nearly 100 miles ) and the lumber trucks are quad-axle semi's averaging about 135,000 -155,000 pounds so, yeah, not exactly gonna see them on the I495 Capital Beltway. These behemoths beat the track pretty well and its a continuous run of washboard and dips, excellent shock absorber testing ground. The RideRites no doubt make it a smoother trip, max speed on that track is about 30MPH before things really get uncomfortable. I'd recommend them to any and all who ask.

Obviously the lower photo isn't mine, but this is very much what the trucks look like. My wife took the other three.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wednesday, I traded in my 2008 Red Alert SE CC 2WD toward a 2019 Glacier White PRO-4X 4X4. Old truck had 132K on it and I just love the 4.0, so wanted to get a newer one with low mileage. The 2019 had 9.3K on it.

39441 - 39460 of 39525 Posts