Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a photographer I take the time to look at all the photographs taken of the members trucks. Lots of great images and great angles. :D

What I find interesting though, is the time taken to smudge out or block out your Licsense plate. 8O What happens when you don't hide your licsense plate in the photograph when it gets posted?

Is there information that Internet people can find out about you from your licsense plate number that your home town people cant? What are the pro's and cons of out of state people or internet people seeing your plate number?

I apoligize if this subject has been discussed already.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Interesting observation! I work in Law Enforcement, and as far as I know, your average citizen should not have access to motor vehicle records, so other than knowing what state you live in, I really don't know what other data one could gleen from a photo of a license plate posted on the internet!

Having said that, I am one of those peolpe who does smear/smudge/swirl my license plate before posting it to the internet. And because I am in LE, I guess I do it to protect the identity of my personal property just in case there are locals viewing these pictures! When your job is enforcing the law, you do tend to upset the wrong doers sometimes, and some do hold grudges! :wink:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Great observation, as I have not posted any pictures of my Frontier online, yet, I hadn't even thought of this. However, in response to the information security issue posed by having your license plate number out there for anyone to see, there is a major risk. There are internet service providers that you can pay $50 to find out the name, address, and telephone number of anyone with just you license plate number, or full name. I know all the members of Club Frontier are people of integrity, but I can't speak for everyone surfing the Internet, and if you're advertising a sweet ride online, with your license plate number, and somebody really wants that sweet ride, then it's not hard to put two and two together.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
Interesting observation! I work in Law Enforcement, and as far as I know, your average citizen should not have access to motor vehicle records, so other than knowing what state you live in, I really don't know what other data one could gleen from a photo of a license plate posted on the internet!

Having said that, I am one of those peolpe who does smear/smudge/swirl my license plate before posting it to the internet. And because I am in LE, I guess I do it to protect the identity of my personal property just in case there are locals viewing these pictures! When your job is enforcing the law, you do tend to upset the wrong doers sometimes, and some do hold grudges! :wink:
I totaly understand your point. I had never thought about covering mine because its already in the public view but in cases like yours I may do the same.

Great point of view Thanks!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts