Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking around junkyards to find a donor vehicle to get a trans for my 2001 Frontier w/ AT trans 2wd drive. Does anyone know what tranny model is in this truck? where to find it? What vehicles will match up for a swap. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
794 Posts
It's made by JATCO. Not sure the model number but I would just find one from another 1st-Gen Frontier.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
V6 and I4 transmissions are not compatible. We would need to know what engine you have to help you any further.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine had the 2.4 DOHC normally aspirated. I was looking at a couple in Xterra's at the junk yard they look the same maybe the tail section is different but I don't know. Mine is the 4 cyl. THanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
The transmission part # is 31020-49X11 and was used in Frontiers produced from 1998 through 2004 with KA24DE engine and rear wheel drive, including Base, XE and SE trims. It doesn't show fitting the Xterra 2.4L vehicles; it might bolt up, but it "may" be a difference in gearing or the valve body. You may want to try Car-part.com.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK I got it pulled out. I appreciate the help on the model number. I went to LKQ and the only frontier is stripped of the motor and tranny. There are two Xterra's with the 4 banger. It worries me that it could be geared differently. I Looked on carpart. good search it found the only one I have found so far that an exact match. ITs 500 buck unknown mileage 90 days warranty. If the Xterra is a no match OR a questionable swap, I would not do it but the price is sooooo cheap at LKQ. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Can you find a local Jasper dealer and get a remanufactured one?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LKQ got another one today same color 04 went to see, MANUAL TRANNY. :( my Karma. Damn local Jasper. I'm in Wichita ks. I would even drive around a little to get one but I kinda gotta cap my budget on this project. Whats a good price for a reman and wants a good price for unknown mileage with 90 warranty? Availability is killing me.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
I see a whole bunch of used transmissions for your vehicle at Car-part.com starting around $400 and going up and located all over the country. Shipping costs will vary, but because of its weight, I would figure around $150-250, depending on what the shipping distance is. There's one on Ebay right now for $750+$210 for shipping. New, Nissan remans used to sell for around $3200 (or around $2600+shipping online), but I'm not sure if you'll be able to find one. So, I would figure an aftermarket reman unit to be around $2500+core. If you have a reputable transmission shop close to you, you could get an estimate to rebuild yours. Generally, they will give you a basic rebuild price and stipulate an extra cost if hard parts (planetary gears, drums, etc.) are needed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I picked up a used one that is pretty clean compared to mine. Does anyone know the torque settings for the flywheel, bell housing and third member bolts? I need the torque values to put it back in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I know that's a plan however, I don't have an air gun. I need torque specs for the fly wheel and bell housing to engine. ITs the 2.4 4cyl. engine. any help is appreciated. I have look online and cant find them.

I just found a chart that shows 105 to 112 for the flywheel. Over on another forum they say to torque them and apply red Loctite. I can NOT imagine 112lbs on that little bolt. I am so close but no banana. I wanna bolt it up right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK if anyone else ever cares about the torque 32-36 on bell housing 38 on the flywheel. The rest I just got tight using torque wrench on 35. Got it filled and road tested seems to run okay. It drives like it did still with the hard shift from 1st to 2nd that the first gens seem to be infamous for in this forum. Thanks for all the help to the community. I'm trying to give back a little. That top starter bolt is a bell housing bolt. Had to remove the alternator to get it. I was also able to toque it to spec during re-assembly. Lots are labels and diagrams. There is a sensor right on top that will unplug. all the rest of the sensors and wires disconnected on the passenger side. I got all of them with the donor trans.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just for future reference if ever needed, On my 98 4cyl 4wd (with an xterra motor) i needed a trans.. and finding one was near impossible.. after a bunch of research and comparing parts on courtesy parts i actually found one out of a 87 hard body. all i had to do is switch over bell housings being that 96+ have the crank trigger on them and the speedo sensor.. everything was plug and play, clutch was the same, driveshaft was the same, and i could even use my driveshafts being the splines were the same.

I later took apart the bad trans and replaced the input shaft bearing and actually used the guts out of it for a 2wd trans and the output shaft just had to be switched.. so with that being said to widen your horizon on transmissons, i know the autos in the hardbodys were the same except the linkage for the shifter depending if it was column or console shift

Just a FYI lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to know! I had the guy at LKQ tell me the Xterra trans is a swap also but I could not determine if it was in fact true. Some people here said something about gearing being different. In this case I used another frontier trans and so far so good. Thanks, again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts