Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The midwest is being slammed by ice right now!

I was stuck trying to get up my driveway when I slide sideways and my front left tire was in mud. I was in 4H, and then I put the selector to 4LO. First time using 4LO, so I didn't know to wait (or shift to N) to allow the xfer case to actually be in 4LO, aka the 4LO indicator steadily lit. Anyway, trying to go backwards, with wheel slip. Then the ATP light comes on and a constant piercing tone. The 4x4 display goes blank. The truck immediately pulled out of the rut with the greatest of ease! Pulled the truck around on the street, put it in park, and the ATP warning indicator did not go away. It seemed that the truck was in 4LO (driving slow), however, even though the display was blank. Turned the truck off, and then started her back up again. Beeping stopped. Display was back. ATP light still on. Put the selector switch to 4H, and it went away.

What the hell does ATP mean? The manual says nothing about it! Well, it mentions it, but does not talk about it on what it actually means!

And why did the truck miraculously pull out of the ice/mud? How is 4LO so much better than 4H? I thought 4LO was just "geared lower." Does it tighten the differentials? I don't have the E-lock differential, so how could this be?

Please help me understand. Sorry, this is my first 4x4 truck!

·
Registered
881 Posts
From the manual:

Automatic transmission park
warning light ( model)

This light indicates that the automatic transmission
parking function is not engaged. If
the transfer control shift lever is not secured
in any drive position while the automatic
transmission selector lever is in the P (Park)
position, the vehicle may move unexpectedly.
Shift the transfer control shift lever into the
2H, 4H, or 4L position when the warning
light comes on.​
c​
When parking, always make sure that the
transfer control shift lever is in 2H, 4H, or
4L and the parking brake is set.

c​
If the ATP light is ON, this indicates that
the automatic transmission P (Park) position
will not function and the transfer
control shift lever is in the N (Neutral)
position.

c​
Failure to engage the transfer control shift
lever in 2H, 4H, or 4L could result in the
vehicle moving unexpectedly, resulting in

serious personal injury or property damage.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Dang Disco, I was tryin to think of something krass to come up with that would fit the acronym but couldn't think of anything, and you go and read the dang manual and type it in....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, well that explains it. I must have glossed over that entry in the manual. I never did put the trans in neutral though, so I don't know what happened. Very strange when the ATP light came on, the piercing warning tone, AND the 4x4 display was blank! The truck was possessed!

OK, well now that ATP has been figured out, could someone help explain why the truck was able to gain traction in 4LO when 4H failed? Does 4LO "tighten" the differentials, or lock them?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
4Lo lowers the gearing, thus offering more torque compared to 4Hi on a similar rpm range.

·
Registered
124 Posts
2:43AM said:
. I never did put the trans in neutral though, so I don't know what happened.
I think the manual means that the transfer case is in neutral (between selections) and the transmission in park! This would make it tough for the transmission (in Park) to stop the truck from rolling since the transfer case is free to move since it's not selected into any range! At least this is how i read it!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
4Lo gets you into higher revs at lower speeds. More torque is due to the revs and can be useful for crawling over rocks. But more torque does not mean better traction. You got lucky.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I used 4LO yesterday to climb a pretty steep hill that had a sheet of ice underneath about 6inches of compact snow. Crawled up it like a champ!

:goodjob:

·
Registered
881 Posts
brutal said:
Dang Disco, I was tryin to think of something krass to come up with that would fit the acronym but couldn't think of anything, and you go and read the dang manual and type it in....
I didn't type it in bro....that would be insane. I have that 'not so legit' manual on pdf document. I just did a cut and pasted it right in...worked real good. The cool part is that the pdf is linked, so you can do an easy search for anything and it will search across the whole document.

Sorry for stealing your thunder...go ahead and post your acronyms anyway...might be fun to see.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
Huh....so our transfer case does have a nuetral position........INTERESTING. Maybe we could flat tow a automatic frontier after all....

Now the only question is, how to activate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts