Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just started towing this year (trailer bought late last year). RPod 177 teardrop. 2500lbs dry. Can't really get past 60mph - wind drag becomes brutal. 60mph at 3000rpm. I can try push it past that, but it starts to get stressful fighting everything.

Truck handles the weight easily (at lower speeds). Added Sumo Springs recently so a few hundred pounds of tongue weight is handled easily. Keeps everything very stable.

View attachment 317187
Nice! We have a '17 RP178 that I wish wish white like yours.
1589665162909.png

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
177 Posts
Very nice! How you find it tows? What kind of RPM and does it seem to struggle getting past 60mph? I wonder the bed topper helps at all?
I've always wondered about the bed caps and towing too. Guy I used to work with had a hi topper on his Sierra. He swore it improved his towing at highway speed. Wonder if he was right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very nice! How you find it tows? What kind of RPM and does it seem to struggle getting past 60mph? I wonder the bed topper helps at all?
I find it tows really well. As long as I stick to the HWY speed limits, with overdrive turned off, the truck has plenty of pulling power. Usually turning 2400 - maybe 3000 rpm at freeway speeds, I can't say I've ever struggled to top 60mph unless we're climbing a steep grade (there are many where I live). I haven't towed the RPOD without the topper so I can't say for sure if it helps. Have you tried towing with overdrive off? It should help the truck stay in a better power band at 60 than if it's running along in fifth gear (O.D.).

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've always wondered about the bed caps and towing too. Guy I used to work with had a hi topper on his Sierra. He swore it improved his towing at highway speed. Wonder if he was right.
He probably is, at least to some extent. Makes it more aerodynamic. That's why some of the 5th wheel guys will get those giant wind scoops mounted on the roof of their pickups.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The Sumo Springs certainly stiffen up the rear and increase load capacity. Previously, with 300# of sand bags in the bed this winter, the springs/bumpstops would slam down and bottom out easily over the smallest dips and bumps. After the sumo's were added (which was easy), it's firm, but feels great. Lifted the rear maybe 1/2". It's on the verge of being too stiff with nothing in the bed now, but certainly acceptable...just a little bit stiff of perfect. Throw a couple hundred pounds in and it's great...though if you use it for off-road use, it would limit travel.
Well that sounds great, except i cant inhibit off road use, maybe i can find something in between the two.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
21 - 31 of 31 Posts