Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been building this trailer/gypsy wagon to tow with my frontier 2.4l. Would like to see your rigs weather it be a 2.4 or the v6!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Hey, pretty slick, I like that.

Reactions: NotForSale

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tow a tiny homemade camper with my 4cyl. Wind drag becomes notice View attachment 317132 able at freeway speeds. We did 2800 miles early this year.
Tt
TomT.. Love the trailer, i cant wait to make one that size i will use for actually going lots of places and long distances. I have some ideas for making my trailer more aerodynamic for less drag, still its men't more for parking haha.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The trailer was a cheap, light weight Northern Tool that I bought used. I bought it years ago and used it as a motorcycle and utility trailer. Got old and wanted a comfortable place to sleep while camping plus we store our equipment inside the camper. I designed and built the camper to be very light. Hook up and go! An equivalent trailer is a 4x8 Harbor Freight. Anyone interested should go to teardrops and tiny travel trailers. Everything from craftman style to cool campers made from scrap.

Tt

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just started towing this year (trailer bought late last year). RPod 177 teardrop. 2500lbs dry. Can't really get past 60mph - wind drag becomes brutal. 60mph at 3000rpm. I can try push it past that, but it starts to get stressful fighting everything.

Truck handles the weight easily (at lower speeds). Added Sumo Springs recently so a few hundred pounds of tongue weight is handled easily. Keeps everything very stable.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just U-haul trailers for me. I tow a 6x12 enclosed a couple times a year to shuttle things back-and-fourth or help people move. I have a 2 3/4" rise ball mount that holds U-haul trailers at a perfect slightly-nose-high attitude.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tow a 5 x 10ft Teardrop camper. Weighs little over 1000lbs empty. Don't know its back there! Also a 16ft fishing boat couple times a year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Looks great, love the little teardrops!
I tow a 5 x 10ft Teardrop camper. Weighs little over 1000lbs empty. Don't know its back there! Also a 16ft fishing boat couple times a year.

Loks great, live the little teardrops! tow the boat no problem?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just started towing this year (trailer bought late last year). RPod 177 teardrop. 2500lbs dry. Can't really get past 60mph - wind drag becomes brutal. 60mph at 3000rpm. I can try push it past that, but it starts to get stressful fighting everything.

Truck handles the weight easily (at lower speeds). Added Sumo Springs recently so a few hundred pounds of tongue weight is handled easily. Keeps everything very stable.

View attachment 317187
I need to replace my leaf springs, maybe i should upgrade while im at it.

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
177 Posts
I don't have any recent pics of my boat, or any with it on my Frontier either. Weird. Anyway, here she is on my dearly missed 99 Pathfinder. About 3k lbs with fuel and trailer. 210lb tongue.

I have a full snap on cover. That plus it's shape mean aero drag isn't an issue really. The pathy struggled on the highway, especially hills, but that was weight related. That 3.3 was awesome...till you towed. The Frontier though pulls this very well. The long wheel base is also helpful. I haven't pulled it this season, but I just installed load range E BFG's. Hopefully even more stable when headed up to NH.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I need to replace my leaf springs, maybe i should upgrade while im at it.
The Sumo Springs certainly stiffen up the rear and increase load capacity. Previously, with 300# of sand bags in the bed this winter, the springs/bumpstops would slam down and bottom out easily over the smallest dips and bumps. After the sumo's were added (which was easy), it's firm, but feels great. Lifted the rear maybe 1/2". It's on the verge of being too stiff with nothing in the bed now, but certainly acceptable...just a little bit stiff of perfect. Throw a couple hundred pounds in and it's great...though if you use it for off-road use, it would limit travel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looks great, love the little teardrops!

Loks great, live the little teardrops! tow the boat no problem?
Tows the boat and td like there's nothing there! Hope the next generation Frontier does as well in the towing dept! Thinking of upgrading in a few years!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts