Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well ive been running a borla exhaust for quite awhile now. its got a very deep tone, but its just not that loud. and im kinda wanting to go rreal loud. so tomorrow a buddy and i are going to rip the cat off and straight pipe it.

so what do you guys think, ever heard a frontier with no cat and a borla exhaust, or any after market exhaust for that matter. did it sound good if you guys had? and i know when a cat goes bad, it smells like rotten eggs, my truck isnt going to smell like that right? lol god i hope not.

and i dont want to hear anything about how its illegal, i know it is lol i dont care.

ill take a before and after sound clip for you guys too, ill also get one of it when its bascially open headers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
go to muffler shop or driveway and strait pipe it with big pipe

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I am glad you do not live near me. I love a nice medium loud exhaust, but the really loud ones make me mad, especially if they are driving through my neighbor hood day or night.

Motorcycles are being legislated out of a lot of areas including towns because of this
very issue. The American Motorcycle Associations is trying to get the cyclists to police themselves before the authorities do it.

We would do well to do the same thing or we may be the next target as soon as the
authorities have taken care of the motorcycle issue.

OkieScot

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
ptrollman said:
You will lose bottom end torque if you do this. The motor needs some backpressure. But It will be louder I'm sure. Good luck.
I completly agree with this!! It will definatly be louder but you will definatly lose low end torque. This may also screw with the timing and the air/fuel mixture of the engine after a period of time due to the O2 sensor. I know you said its illegal but you will also not pass any sort of emission testing, which I don't really know how strict Oregon is or if they even do emission testing. But as ptrollman said Good Luck!

·
Banned
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i did it, and i totally regret it, this thing sounds like crap, i cant stand it.

i think im going to save some money and buy 2 aero mufflers, 2 high flow cats, run 2 pipes as straight as possible to the back. and put it back to legal and i dont care how loud it is, any more. this just sucks. my friends s10 turned out really well. but my truck how ever i cant stand. ill host the clips later on.

word of advise, KEEP YOUR CAT!!!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
OkieScot said:
I am glad you do not live near me. I love a nice medium loud exhaust, but the really loud ones make me mad, especially if they are driving through my neighbor hood day or night.

Motorcycles are being legislated out of a lot of areas including towns because of this
very issue. The American Motorcycle Associations is trying to get the cyclists to police themselves before the authorities do it.

We would do well to do the same thing or we may be the next target as soon as the
authorities have taken care of the motorcycle issue.

OkieScot
Not to jack thread but I do agree with you in some ways. Cars with fart cans ,etc loud and sound like crap. In regards to the motorcycles though , I do hate the loud Harley sound . But I have put an aftermarket AkraPovic on my bike and it is definitely louder but you know what that loudness does for me? It gives me a better sense of security when riding because of all the stupid cagers and at least they can now hear me coming if they don't see me.

·
Registered
690 Posts
[/quote] Not to jack thread but I do agree with you in some ways. Cars with fart cans ,etc loud and sound like crap. In regards to the motorcycles though , I do hate the loud Harley sound . But I have put an aftermarket AkraPovic on my bike and it is definitely louder but you know what that loudness does for me? It gives me a better sense of security when riding because of all the stupid cagers and at least they can now hear me coming if they don't see me.[/quote]
AMEN to that brother. I have a Micron full race exhaust on my ZX9R and I still fear cages more than prohibition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
These little six cylinders just dont sound good with straight exhaust. Engines are too wimpy for that. Sound like the little rice burners that punk kids are running around in.
If you want a straight exhaust, get a BIG V8 to put in front of it. That would be a Titan, or better yet, a HEMI.

·
Banned
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jurassic_Jet said:
These little six cylinders just dont sound good with straight exhaust. Engines are too wimpy for that. Sound like the little rice burners that punk kids are running around in.
If you want a straight exhaust, get a BIG V8 to put in front of it. That would be a Titan, or better yet, a HEMI.

you need to play with some real exhaust. 6's can sound ever bit as good as a v8.
my friends 94 4runner v6. has no engine mods except a K&N intake. but the exhaust he has on it, sounds great. people ask him all the time if he put a v8 in it. it is a deep burrley sound.

now my truck before the whole cat incodent, had a super deep tone. not quite v8, but deff not even close to ricey. the no cat sorta put a little bit of rice into it, but its really not that bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts