Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Intake valve problems have plagued just about anyone trying direct injection to date (BMW, VW, Ford...) Toyota claims to have solved the problem by adding a second set of injectors in the plenum that work mostly at idle - to clean the intake valves. I think a lot of other manufacturers are hoping these new SN oils with low ash / sulphate contetnt solve this problem for them. Maybe / maybe not - I prefer to not be part of the beta test, and OEM's only care if they make it out of warranty anyway.

Back on topic - I drive by the huge lot the local Nissan Dealer uses to store vehicles. In the past there were several hundred vehicles in it. Last time by it had I think 4 of the kick and that was it. These are not normal times. If they have the truck you want and its under MSRP - I would just buy it. Or plan to wait a year or two.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Previous poster in reference to gdi build issues said Ford had many. I’ve been looking, and haven’t seen much of anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
He is correct in theory, belief, and related history. Ford started having oil consumption issue with their 5.0 engines starting in 2018 and into the 2019 model year F150 trucks. In the beginning Ford was replacing a lot of 5.0 motors because they had no idea as to what the root cause of the oil consumption was. They they held off on replacing motors saying that it was normal for the newly designed motor to burn oil and a that a quart every 1k to 2K miles was reasonable.

Later the fix was to do a software update, then it was a software update and a longer dip stick. Next was the software update, longer dip stick, and the latest design replacement of the PCV valve. The original PCV valve was a straight though design, the latest if a check valve design. Owners often would install a catch can to catch pass though oil/moisture condensation by products, but the results were widely varied.

The story from Ford was that the new engine design and original software was allowing the valves to stay open too long and allowing oil to pass through the system and get burnt in the exhaust or blown out of the tailpipe.
There were also some big issues with the timing chain and tensioner. Which is also leading to a number of problems with the cam phasers and timing.

Won't even get into the number of owners who are or have faced issues with the battery, BMS, charging systems, or unknow parasitic power draw. Which of course has nothing to do with the valves...Or Does IT? Yes, I jest on this latest point.

Next most feared and hated issue would be that 10 speed transmission with its abrupt hard shifting. And the loud "Clunk" sound heard when first starting the truck, this is often referred to as the aluminum bind in the driveshaft releasing...It's normal and well with in tolerance per Ford.

On EDIT: My oil consumption issue is no longer, and all is good. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the new longer and improved dip stick that was the cure.

Sorry, I kind of got off subject and drug a lot of information out that wasn't asked about. But, as a 2019 F150 5.0 10speed I can personally attest to each of these manifestations.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
One dealer by me who usually has about 100 cars now has maybe 20-25 on the property. I’d think they now hold the cards.
Another dealer a really large Chrysler Jeep Dodge and Ram store is visibly low on vehicles. The one section that has 40 spaces full of Wranglers has only 4 Renegades parked diagonally to take up a bit of that area. An article I read said there’s only a 2 week supply of cars out there.

Clint
One dealer by me has offsite storage for about 4,500 new cars and pickups, usually it's pretty full. Went by there the other day and thought he was out of business. He isn't.
Same with the always overflowing with vehicles dealer across from my work...... quite a bit of empty lot space.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Same with the always overflowing with vehicles dealer across from my work...... quite a bit of empty lot space.
It has been reported that there are many vehicles already produced but for a few important chips. Once these chips become available, the vehicle supply can jump real quick.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
It has been reported that there are many vehicles already produced but for a few important chips. Once these chips become available, the vehicle supply can jump real quick.
I'm sure that is true, but, to the O.P. question, when current supply is not keeping up with demand, the seller can ask more...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Monday, I bought a 2021 Pro4x to replace the 2014 that I totaled the week before. The selling price was MSRP- the Nissan Rebate. It was the last Pro4x at this dealer in Minneapolis. My local dealer had no frontiers, and was talking options. So I felt fortunate in finding the truck I wanted in a color that was not silver, grey, or black.

·
Super Moderator
11,254 Posts
Monday, I bought a 2021 Pro4x to replace the 2014 that I totaled the week before. The selling price was MSRP- the Nissan Rebate. It was the last Pro4x at this dealer in Minneapolis. My local dealer had no frontiers, and was talking options. So I felt fortunate in finding the truck I wanted in a color that was not silver, grey, or black.
Congratulations, sorry to hear how you you came to need a new one and hope you were not injured.

Clint

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
58 Posts
We rolled the thing. I was towing our 2019 AirStream Flying Cloud when we were caught by a gust of wind The truck and trailer spun, I missed all of the oncoming, hit the shoulder, and rolled both. We walked away totally uninjured. So feeling pretty good about life.

·
Super Moderator
11,254 Posts
You won the lottery. Today is a gift, tomorrow isn’t guaranteed.
Best of luck with the truck. What will replace the trailer, I’m looking to buy one hopefully soon.

Clint

Reactions: turn8a and jonrjen

·
Registered
58 Posts
I miss staying in an RV, but not sure I want to pull a travel trailer again. I had a Scamp 19 Foot 5th wheel that I pulled many thousands of uneventful miles. I may go back to one of those. The issue I had with that is I am well over 70, and getting in and out of the full time bed was a pain.

·
Registered
2016 Pro4x 6mt
160 Posts
Too early to know at this point. The 3.8 has not been out that long. But many look at the titan DI motor issues and assume the same for the Frontier. Its more an issue with DI technology shooting fuel with high pressure into the chamber. The intakes don't get the lubrication to clean off the carbon like port injection. Some oems do far worse then others. But many like myself bought a 19 with the port injected 4 litre because that we know is tested. In fact many bought it because they just don't want any problems/headaches. The new motor and transmission have yet to be proven over time. Nobody can garanntee this for you no matter how many times you ask. Most of the troubles with trucks these days are OEM's doing crap to the engines to gain a few MPG's and to meet their CAFE goals. And its not good for reliability IMO. GM uses the AFM and cruddy mapping. Lots of issues with their 8 speed because of it. Toyota's akison 6 speed is just horrible. Its a torque starving, early shifting, gear searching POS. Ford's 10 speed seems to be the only decent modern transmission and they use induction on smaller displacement to achieve their goals instead of AFM and other gimmicks. The outgoing VQ 40 5 speed perform well because that was developed before OEMs gave a **** about CAFE and federal mandates. Also probably why 4 runners are still in such high demand. It too is a dinosaur running decades old drivetrain. Its sucks gas but it works.
I can speak on this. The biggest issue with the 3rd gen, is the calibration/tune. Proper tune sorts it right out, and it drives and performs like it should. But, in stock, off the showroom floor... I HATE the transmission cal.
And I'll say this, definitely not low on power. In fact, its pretty damn quick.
I'm the first to bash the 3rd gen.... but, I'm also thr first to be realistic.

And as far as the fords... no thanks we had a fleet of transits(ecoboost, and a couple NA).
We are down to 2. Spent more time in the shop, and techs in rentals, etc. Turbo issues, transmissions, 1 caught fire, etc.

Its all compromise.
Choose your enemy, and then pick your battle.
Thats why when I came across my low mile '16 P4X with 6mt, I jumped, and then ditched my headache Daytona(fun car, but, not worth the trouble).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Show me examples of Fords “issues “. White papers, fsb’s, articles. Doubt you can.
Why is it that whenever someone comments on something fairly well known to shadetree mechanic community it offends someone because there favorite brand was mentioned and wants a white paper? I mean, who is going to publish a white paper on this stuff. White papers are nothing but marketing garbage published in a format to make them look unbiased but there not. They came out with a whole new grade of oil to deal with this GDI issue (SN - Low on whatever it is that causes carbon). Do some research. Here are a few links I found in 30 seconds:

Generic info: Ask An Engineer: GDI Problems In A Nutshell - The Truth About Cars

Ford specific info: Ford 2.7 Ecoboost Problems and Solutions • Road Sumo

or The 3 Most Common Ford 2.7 EcoBoost Engine Problems - 2.7 Reliability

It was a passing comment on a well known problem that everyone has. Feel free to write a white paper on how wrong I am. Or just don't believe me. It is no benefit to me either way you believe.

·
Registered
2020 SV Crew
49 Posts
I can speak on this. The biggest issue with the 3rd gen, is the calibration/tune. Proper tune sorts it right out, and it drives and performs like it should. But, in stock, off the showroom floor... I HATE the transmission cal.
And I'll say this, definitely not low on power. In fact, its pretty damn quick.
I'm the first to bash the 3rd gen.... but, I'm also thr first to be realistic.

And as far as the fords... no thanks we had a fleet of transits(ecoboost, and a couple NA).
We are down to 2. Spent more time in the shop, and techs in rentals, etc. Turbo issues, transmissions, 1 caught fire, etc.

Its all compromise.
Choose your enemy, and then pick your battle.
Thats why when I came across my low mile '16 P4X with 6mt, I jumped, and then ditched my headache Daytona(fun car, but, not worth the trouble).
I have a 20 SV CC and my experience is that it is better than the Ford 10 sp but still needs sorting out. 1st gear is useless for anything but towing or a heavy load and in general, the truck should start in 2nd. That's why the 1st to 2nd shift is abrupt- it is shifting at about 5 mph. I've learned to feather the accelerator until after it shift into 2nd. That makes it pretty smooth. Maybe Nissan will have a software update for the trans in the future. They could definitely make it better. The engine is great, though. Plenty of power for this truck. It pulls hard through the middle gears.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Why is it that whenever someone comments on something fairly well known to shadetree mechanic community it offends someone because there favorite brand was mentioned and wants a white paper? I mean, who is going to publish a white paper on this stuff. White papers are nothing but marketing garbage published in a format to make them look unbiased but there not. They came out with a whole new grade of oil to deal with this GDI issue (SN - Low on whatever it is that causes carbon). Do some research. Here are a few links I found in 30 seconds:

Generic info: Ask An Engineer: GDI Problems In A Nutshell - The Truth About Cars

Ford specific info: Ford 2.7 Ecoboost Problems and Solutions • Road Sumo

or The 3 Most Common Ford 2.7 EcoBoost Engine Problems - 2.7 Reliability

It was a passing comment on a well known problem that everyone has. Feel free to write a white paper on how wrong I am. Or just don't believe me. It is no benefit to me either way you believe.
In the scientific community, their weaponry is to write papers on their findings and ideas. For the most part, these scientific papers are well received and respected. But as you wrote, white papers about consumer products are nothing more than a marketing tool. Better information is found on these types of boards from respected posters. When a person demands you produce papers to defend your position, he is just angling for a fight.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not sure about the market on new Frontiers. But used is way way up. Read that used truck prices are up about 45 percent. My dealer did have about 6 new SV's and not a single P4X.. But normally he has 3X more then that. And most of the Toytota offroads and TRD's are getting thousands over MRSP in my area. I paid 35K for my 19 P4X with luxury package. I doubt I could get such a deal in todays market. At least in my area. But you never know until you try. The chip shortage is a temporary one and will resolve in the coming months. If your dealer does not offer a decent discount I would wait. I'm glad I got a 19. I'm having concern over the carbon build up on this new 3.8. I've seen allot of titans having issues with their DI motor.
If you have a Direct Injection engine you need to install an oil catch can in the PCV vacuum line or your intake valves will have carbon build up within 30K miles. It’s a very expensive repair to decarbonize valves. The carbon build up slowly restricts air flow into the cylinders reducing power and fuel economy. Indirect injection sprays gas into the manifold which then washes oil deposits off the intake valves keeping them clean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Too early to know at this point. The 3.8 has not been out that long. But many look at the titan DI motor issues and assume the same for the Frontier. Its more an issue with DI technology shooting fuel with high pressure into the chamber. The intakes don't get the lubrication to clean off the carbon like port injection. Some oems do far worse then others. But many like myself bought a 19 with the port injected 4 litre because that we know is tested. In fact many bought it because they just don't want any problems/headaches. The new motor and transmission have yet to be proven over time. Nobody can garanntee this for you no matter how many times you ask. Most of the troubles with trucks these days are OEM's doing crap to the engines to gain a few MPG's and to meet their CAFE goals. And its not good for reliability IMO. GM uses the AFM and cruddy mapping. Lots of issues with their 8 speed because of it. Toyota's akison 6 speed is just horrible. Its a torque starving, early shifting, gear searching POS. Ford's 10 speed seems to be the only decent modern transmission and they use induction on smaller displacement to achieve their goals instead of AFM and other gimmicks. The outgoing VQ 40 5 speed perform well because that was developed before OEMs gave a **** about CAFE and federal mandates. Also probably why 4 runners are still in such high demand. It too is a dinosaur running decades old drivetrain. Its sucks gas but it works.
You nailed it!

·
Registered
239 Posts
We rolled the thing. I was towing our 2019 AirStream Flying Cloud when we were caught by a gust of wind The truck and trailer spun, I missed all of the oncoming, hit the shoulder, and rolled both. We walked away totally uninjured. So feeling pretty good about life. View attachment 332435
Glad your ok. I think one of the issues with pulling big stuff like that with the frontier is the truck's wheelbase is a bit to short causing stability issues. Plus you have the narrower width of the truck. I think the LWB frontier might fair a bit better with that extra foot of wheelbase. But for some reason they only offer it on lower trims. At one point they offered it on the SL but no more. I'm hoping with the 22 Nissan will offer a higher trim with the LWB. I think the biggest thing I"d tow would be one of those rugged boondock teardrops but they want over 20K for those things. But they pretty much can go anywhere the truck goes.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts