Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My everyday driver is a 2019 F150 FX4 with the 5.0 crew-cab. Was looking at buying a Ford Ranger FX4, but the inventory has gone dry. So now I am looking at picking up a Frontier SV 4x4 as a 3rd vehicle.

However, in todays current very strange car/truck market where many different manufactures dealerships are charging a premium over MSRP sticker price I'm not sure what would be considered a fair purchase price on a left over 2020 Frontier 4x4 SV Midnight Edition. Window sticker is $35,245 with an online price of $30,650 plus TT&L. Is this about as good as it gets, or is there still some meat on the bone to be eaten away? Maybe an even $30K plus the TT&L or deeper?

Thanks in advance for your sharing and knowledge,

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Between the low stock, limited production of 21s, and inflation thats not bad. You can try to beat them down, but i wouldnt expect success. Now if production ramps up, especially on the chip fabs (need ecm,bcm,tcm in each truck) the 3rd gen is due this fall. That will drive remaining 2nd gen prices down.
But there's no guarantee production will rebound to meet impulse demand.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,288 Posts
One dealer by me who usually has about 100 cars now has maybe 20-25 on the property. I’d think they now hold the cards.
Another dealer a really large Chrysler Jeep Dodge and Ram store is visibly low on vehicles. The one section that has 40 spaces full of Wranglers has only 4 Renegades parked diagonally to take up a bit of that area. An article I read said there’s only a 2 week supply of cars out there.

Clint

Reactions: RamTest and jonrjen

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
One dealer by me who usually has about 100 cars now has maybe 20-25 on the property. I’d think they now hold the cards.
Another dealer a really large Chrysler Jeep Dodge and Ram store is visibly low on vehicles. The one section that has 40 spaces full of Wranglers has only 4 Renegades parked diagonally to take up a bit of that area. An article I read said there’s only a 2 week supply of cars out there.

Clint
One dealer by me has offsite storage for about 4,500 new cars and pickups, usually it's pretty full. Went by there the other day and thought he was out of business. He isn't.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Local Chevy dealer did an oil change on my wife's Buick on Saturday. He has a total of 40 new vehicles on the lot, 14 of those are Bolts.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought my king cab s 4x4 from the "fleet" department 3 months ago and I just checked their inventory and they have 60 frontiers, I got mine for $26,500 out the door. the sticker way almost $29k

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
135 Posts
The dealer where I purchased my '20 had 74 showing in inventory in late Feb. when I purchased. They now show 54. I was able to get $5200 off MSRP at the time, likely as they wanted to move these. They had zero used.

·
Super Moderator
11,288 Posts
The dealer where I purchased my '20 had 74 showing in inventory in late Feb. when I purchased. They now show 54. I was able to get $5200 off MSRP at the time, likely as they wanted to move these. They had zero used.
How about a link to help others out?

Clint

Reactions: jonrjen and Gdubz

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Once the new Frontier hits the show room floors, the older models become yesterday's news. If you don't need a truck today, I would wait.

·
Registered
427 Posts
You won’t see these prices again. Seeing the same markdowns in our mkt. 2021’s aren’t being marked down at all. Maybe the 2021’s will be 5k off in a year. If available. The op’s price is 5k more than comparable 2019’s with the old proven drivetrain went for when they were leftovers. The new model will be even more. I imagine another 1-2k off thru negotiations is possible, see if the internet salesman can get you 1k off before you go in. Ours did.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not sure about the market on new Frontiers. But used is way way up. Read that used truck prices are up about 45 percent. My dealer did have about 6 new SV's and not a single P4X.. But normally he has 3X more then that. And most of the Toytota offroads and TRD's are getting thousands over MRSP in my area. I paid 35K for my 19 P4X with luxury package. I doubt I could get such a deal in todays market. At least in my area. But you never know until you try. The chip shortage is a temporary one and will resolve in the coming months. If your dealer does not offer a decent discount I would wait. I'm glad I got a 19. I'm having concern over the carbon build up on this new 3.8. I've seen allot of titans having issues with their DI motor.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Not sure about the market on new Frontiers. But used is way way up. Read that used truck prices are up about 45 percent. My dealer did have about 6 new SV's and not a single P4X.. But normally he has 3X more then that. And most of the Toytota offroads and TRD's are getting thousands over MRSP in my area. I paid 35K for my 19 P4X with luxury package. I doubt I could get such a deal in todays market. At least in my area. But you never know until you try. The chip shortage is a temporary one and will resolve in the coming months. If your dealer does not offer a decent discount I would wait. I'm glad I got a 19. I'm having concern over the carbon build up on this new 3.8. I've seen allot of titans having issues with their DI motor.
There are questions on the DI 3.8 L. Tacos get around this issue by having port as well as direct injection. Do you know if the Titan carbon build up can be mitigated with an oil catch can?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Once the new Frontier hits the show room floors, the older models become yesterday's news. If you don't need a truck today, I would wait.
This is true.
Question is when will the market recover due to current parts/chip availability? And, will the days of old with deep discounts and large rebates from MSRP come back to the marketplace. Or will it be a matter of now that the public has become accustomed/programmed to paying sticker price, this will become the new standard practice.

Then there is the fast rising price of metal, rubber, and other material that are quickly rising in cost. Prediction and rumors currently show rubber prices to rise by 20 to 30% in the coming months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So what is the carbon build up issues that are starting to come to light on the 3.8 powerplant? Concerns big enough that would be cause to hold off on a purchase?

·
Registered
163 Posts
However, in todays current very strange car/truck market where many different manufactures dealerships are charging a premium over MSRP sticker price I'm not sure what would be considered a fair purchase price on a left over 2020 Frontier 4x4 SV Midnight Edition. Window sticker is $35,245 with an online price of $30,650 plus TT&L. Is this about as good as it gets, or is there still some meat on the bone to be eaten away? Maybe an even $30K plus the TT&L or deeper?
That isn't bad - I paid $30k even for my 2019 in December 2018. I contacted the online sales department of several dealers and told them to give me their best out-the-door price with no add ons (paint protection, nitrogen fill, extended warranty, etc.). I had to go back and forth a few times to get them to take the paint protection charge off since it was already done, but they finally did. Might be worth taking a look at any add ons for the truck you're looking at and see if you can get them to budge on those costs.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
239 Posts
So what is the carbon build up issues that are starting to come to light on the 3.8 powerplant? Concerns big enough that would be cause to hold off on a purchase?
Too early to know at this point. The 3.8 has not been out that long. But many look at the titan DI motor issues and assume the same for the Frontier. Its more an issue with DI technology shooting fuel with high pressure into the chamber. The intakes don't get the lubrication to clean off the carbon like port injection. Some oems do far worse then others. But many like myself bought a 19 with the port injected 4 litre because that we know is tested. In fact many bought it because they just don't want any problems/headaches. The new motor and transmission have yet to be proven over time. Nobody can garanntee this for you no matter how many times you ask. Most of the troubles with trucks these days are OEM's doing crap to the engines to gain a few MPG's and to meet their CAFE goals. And its not good for reliability IMO. GM uses the AFM and cruddy mapping. Lots of issues with their 8 speed because of it. Toyota's akison 6 speed is just horrible. Its a torque starving, early shifting, gear searching POS. Ford's 10 speed seems to be the only decent modern transmission and they use induction on smaller displacement to achieve their goals instead of AFM and other gimmicks. The outgoing VQ 40 5 speed perform well because that was developed before OEMs gave a **** about CAFE and federal mandates. Also probably why 4 runners are still in such high demand. It too is a dinosaur running decades old drivetrain. Its sucks gas but it works.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I doubt anyone has had any issues yet with the 3.8. I have 70k on a gdi Focus with no loss of power, and my mileage is doing better than ever. Not a single complaint that I’ve seen on the Focus forum.
Mini Coopers had a issue, but they suck in many ways. Doubt Nissan didn’t design for build up issues. It would be the least of my concerns with a new drivetrain.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I doubt anyone has had any issues yet with the 3.8. I have 70k on a gdi Focus with no loss of power, and my mileage is doing better than ever. Not a single complaint that I’ve seen on the Focus forum.
Mini Coopers had a issue, but they suck in many ways. Doubt Nissan didn’t design for build up issues. It would be the least of my concerns with a new drivetrain.
Except the titan DOES have carbon build up issues. I do have more faith in the Daimler benz 9 speed. That has been around for a while. But nobody can say for certain how well this 3.8 will be over time. The question is did they install a second set of port injectors on the intakes? Pic is from a 2018 Titan. Just saying.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 SV Crew
50 Posts
The Titan is a completely different engine. Like comparing apples to pineapples. And, I would point out that a few cases reported on the internet out of maybe 100,000 trucks proves nothing. I saw this same hysteria on the Mustang forum with the ecoboost 4 cyl. Turned out to be a complete non-issue. If it is a widespread problem with the Titan, it's pretty unlikely that Nissan would make the same mistake on the new 3.8.
As to the OP's original question, it depends on the area he lives in and what their stock levels are. I got about 4700.00 off my 20 SV CC a few weeks ago and they simply would not go any lower. I will say that the Nissan dealers seem to be the best stocked of any of the dealers around me. The Ford and Chevy dealers look like they are out of business with their empty lots.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts