Nissan Frontier Forum banner
221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
1,232 Posts
Before my current Frontier was my other Frontier, before that I had a 2015 Hyundai Veloster & a 2011 Yamaha Star Stryker.

·
Registered
107 Posts
2011 Tacoma
2003 Tacoma
1997 Volvo 850 Wagon
1996 S10 Blazer
1990 Volvo 240 Wagon (if you count shifting gears from the passenger seat)

Ironically, the Blazer was technically the most luxurious car I've driven since it was an LT with power leather seats. The only vehicle I don't miss at all is the 2011 Tacoma. Dangerously slow (4x4, 4 cylinder) and horrendous seating position. I really miss my '03 Tacoma.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
2007 Scion TC - fun car but didn't get the greatest mileage. Had to replace the motor due to crankshaft bearing failure.
Had a 2007 Pathfinder and a 2011 VW Jetta at the same time. All are now gone. Now it's just the 2012 Frontier and the wife's 2018 Audi Q3.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Ahhh, these 20 year old 200,000+ mile beauties. Been blessed with 3 new cars (first new cars ever) since then!

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

We now drive these:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

Wheel Cloud Car Tire Sky

And the mods have been a lot more fun than constantly maintaining old cars, lol.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
o

·
Registered
13 Posts
1991 Geo Prism (Toyota Corolla)
1996 S-10 Blazer
2004 Chevy Colorado z-71
2003 Nissan Xterra (still have this. It's my toy)
2013 Frontier Pro-4x

I drove that blazer for about 14 years. That was a great truck. I used to do a lot of big multi-day paintball games, and wanted something I could sleep in.

I traded it for the Colorado about 4 years ago when the engine and transmission started to go.

While the Colorado was a decent rig, I was never truly happy with it. It also wasn't strong enough to handle the wheeling I've been doing. I had to replace the hubs at least once a year since I bought it.

So, for wheeling, I bought the Xterra. Best. Decision. Ever. I absolutely love that thing.

So, when the decision was made to replace the Colorado, I went on the hunt for a Frontier pro-4x, and found one about a year ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
'99 Wrangler, 5 spd, inline 6. Drove it for 20 years (and still have it) but decided I needed something a bit newer to take into my retirement. Bought my '20 Frontier SV in October 2020 with the anticipation that I'd use it to haul supplies for work I had planned around the homeplace. Now I'm just sitting back and waiting for the economy to recover from its death spiral.

mumble mumble grumble

·
Registered
2014 SV
12 Posts
'99 Wrangler, 5 spd, inline 6. Drove it for 20 years (and still have it) but decided I needed something a bit newer to take into my retirement. Bought my '20 Frontier SV in October 2020 with the anticipation that I'd use it to haul supplies for work I had planned around the homeplace. Now I'm just sitting back and waiting for the economy to recover from its death spiral.

mumble mumble grumble
I’ve always thought about buying a TJ with these specs to have for weekend trips. Any complaints over those 20 years?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Something came loose in the rear diff shortly after I bought it but was covered under warranty. Plastic top on the radiator came unsealed and I replaced it myself with an all aluminum unit. Other than that it's been routine maintenance stuff. This pic is from 2002. It currently sits at 92k miles and is showing its age but is still fun to drive.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I’ve always thought about buying a TJ with these specs to have for weekend trips. Any complaints over those 20 years?
I had a '98 TJ for about ten years. 4.0L, 5-speed. Never had any major issues, biggest problem was the clutch slave cylinder blew out but it was fixed under warranty. The only drawback with mine was it came with the Dana 35 rear (C-clip axle, marginal strength) and 3.07 gears, so once I bumped up the tire size to 31's it was a dog. I would suggest finding one with the Dana 44 rear axle and 3.73 gears if you can (I think Saharas came with this configuration). I never broke the D35, but I also was mindful of my right foot, especially after I installed the Detroit Locker.

I had my stock axles regeared to 4.10s which more than restored the lost pep, but replaced them with a D44/HP D30 and regeared to 4.88s when I went to 35" tire, so I threw a lot of money away by messing with the D35. There is (or was, haven't check in a while) a "Super 35" kit that replaced the differential and increased the axle size to comparable to the D44, so if you're going to stay with a reasonable tire size that is also an option (it's still C-clipped, though).

If I had the opportunity, I'd buy another TJ in a heartbeat. Heck, I'd even settle for an SE (4-cylinder) version if it wasn't my daily driver.

Reactions: Conorh3
221 - 240 of 250 Posts