Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP PLEASE!

installed my Shrockworks rear dif. cover and totally F'D up the rear end - at a local shop trying to re-tap the mounting holes, shop thinks the screws that i used to mount were wrong thread & 1 went in crooked ( replaced the ones Shorck. sent with stainless ones) !

i am terrified that i am going to need a new rear end on my NEW TRUCK

any suggestions as to where to find a rear end for my Pro-4X or other suggestions or price estimates on one - dont wanna go through Nissan because i know i just voided my waranty !

i am so totally screwed!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
ya you dont need a new rear end just need to be retapped thats all

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all,

I HOPE SO - was driven @ 10 miles then towed to a local muffler shop to try and retap tomorrow - guy seemed pretty confident he can fix it!

IF they cant do i need a whole rear or just the differential housing ? the gears should be ok (i was told) and they said the housing wasnt cracked (THANK GOD)

i learned my lesson - leave the important stuff to the professionals !

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
It not "FUBAR" just "FU"...
If the threads are too far gone they'll have to be tapped one size up... the Dealer will know something has been up.

add/edit: Be sure to clean out all the metal from cuttin' before refilling the diff.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unfortunately i am too upset to have thought to take pics !

i realize that i cant take it back to the dealer now for any rear issues :(
- thankfully the guys at Firestone know me from all my cars and will take care of me !

the guy at Firestone was going to do it but his helicoil was too big (no pun intended) he recommended the other guy and seemed confident in his ability to un-FU my situation

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
that sucks, hope it works out for you

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
crossthread better than locktight :)

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S SUPPORT !

i hope so, i am supposed to hear from the guy tomorrow - found a place online to buy just the WHOLE rear axle housing for $2500 (no innards) :censor:

plus i got a trip planned to Dayton, Ohio next month and IF i need to do the rear i cant afford my trip :(

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Almost every problem with bolts and the holes can be fixed. I just broke off a bolt in an engine block two days ago. It was not a fun fix but also not hard. It's running like new now. A Honda dealership put the oil pan plug in my grandmother's car with an impact gun which striped every tread out but after finding a bigger plug and retaping the hole all is well, it doesn't leak any.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey all,

just got the call from the shop - they are waiting for the silicone to dry so should be OK - just hope they used the right weight fluid !

any precautions i should take to make sure its all ok before i drive 600 miles next month?

now to find someone to install my bull bar & stereo system - aint trying these myself after my rear incident :laugh:

again - thanks for everyone's help, advice & support !

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
after a fairly expensive fix (350) i got my baby back !

guy said dealer would never know i had an issue - he just cleaned real well & retapped all 12 holes and filled with 75w-140 synthetic fluid !

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
F*****************CK

rear is still seaping fluid - gotta take it back to the guy tomorrow =:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.