Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just purchased a aftermarket radiator and now wanting to get the matic-j out and put in the matic-s.

planned on doing the quick drain and fill(pull drain plug on pan and refill with amount that i get out of pan) until i talked to dealer. He said if i plan on going to the "S" i need to flush all the "J" out and refill it with "S", and not mix the two fluids.

i was planning on doing the drain and fill twice, i know it wont get alll the "J" out but it should get most of it, and it would be easier than doing the 2 bucket process, which dealer also said wouldn't work.....??? Is my dealer FOS?

any thoughts?

Oh yea, one more thing. I read on here a few times that nissan no longer sells the matic-j, will this dealer has some and said he never heard anything about nissan no longer selling it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
J matic is available from Castrol. Castrol is who provides Nissan their J matic fluid. So, you can purchase the Castrol import atf and "get" j matic.

As for the mix of fluids, I am not sure on the specifics.

If it is true, I have left over j matic that I can't use now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
from my experiences the people that work at nissan dealerships are very good people and easy to deal with, but dont know a damn thing about vehicles, besides the techs. i have asked about the transmission fluid and what is acceptable and the answer i got was, 'use the factory fluid because there is not many, if any, fluids that are compatible with matic-j'. i asked because i would like to replace my tranny fluid with royal purple max atf, which on the rp site and the back of the bottle says that it is compatible with matic-j. after telling me to only use nissan's keyline matic-j fluid, i was told not to worry about changing the fluid until 120,000km because thats what the dealership does. the funny thing is, i mentioned that in my factory maintenance manual it says to replace the fluid at 48,000km and the service manager didnt know how to respond. i also talked to the people at the local performance shop about royal purple max atf. they actually called royal purple and were told that the max atf is perfectly compatible with matic-j.

but as for your idea bbyers, i wouldnt change from matic-j to matic-s. there is a good possibility that there are different additives that arent compatible with the clutch friction material or doesnt have the proper viscosity for the transmission so in the end you would be doing more damage to your tranny. just stick with something that is compatible with matic-j.

·
Registered
755 Posts
J-matic is nothing special. just nissans brand of ATF. it is the same as a lot of different ATF types.
APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL AMSOIL Synthetic Universal ATF is recommended for transmissions, hydraulics, power steering and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:

AUTOMOTIVE

• GM DEXRON® III-H
• Ford MERCON® & MERCON V
• Chrysler ATF+4®
• Toyota Type T-III and T-IV
• Honda Z-1 (Not CVT)
• Diamond SP II & III (Mitsubishi/Hyundai/Kia)
• Mazda ATF-III, ATF-MV
• Subaru ATF, ATF-HP
• Nissan Matic D, J & K
• Idemitsu K-17
• BMW LA2634
• LT 71141
• Audi G-052-025-A2 & G-052-162-A1
• Volvo 97340
• MB 236.1, 236.2, 236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9 & 236.10
• JWS 3309
• NAG 1
• ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B & N402
• Mopar AS68RC
HEAVY-DUTY, ON- and OFF-ROAD

• Allison C-4, TES 389
• ZF TE-ML 03D, 04D, 09, 14A, 14B, 14C, 16L, 17C
• Voith 55.6335.XX (G607, G1363)

POWER STEERING

• DEXRON®
• MERCON®
• ATF+4
I wouldn't bother switching, the aftermarket still makes a Matic-J fluid even if nissan doesn't sell it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I just did a search on other forums. apparently the matic S is the replacement for the matic J just with a couple additives. So they are compatable.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i dont mind staying with the matic-j.....i could have swore i read a 7 page thread about how the matic-j was no good and the OP thought nissan found something wrong with it and suggested to switch to the matic-S........?

just to make sure im on the same page, all frontiers have the matic-J from the factory....right?

I just did a search on other forums. apparently the matic S is the replacement for the matic J just with a couple additives. So they are compatable.
i thought the same thing but service manager said no

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
when in doubt say "NO" I have mixed J matic Royal purple and a couple quarts of S when thats I had, and never an issue. general rule of thumb is you can always go up in spec, but should not go down

·
Registered
83 Posts
My dealer told me that Nissan is no longer using J. S is a synthetic version. My dealer said they were completely compatable. I just love not getting the same answer. I did the drain and fill and used the S and have had no problems.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Bs they are compatable and I know this first hand, they are upselling to youu, and shop will do that

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am going to try and mix my J with S and will report what happens

·
Registered
3 Posts
just purchased a aftermarket radiator and now wanting to get the matic-j out and put in the matic-s.

planned on doing the quick drain and fill(pull drain plug on pan and refill with amount that i get out of pan) until i talked to dealer. He said if i plan on going to the "S" i need to flush all the "J" out and refill it with "S", and not mix the two fluids.

i was planning on doing the drain and fill twice, i know it wont get alll the "J" out but it should get most of it, and it would be easier than doing the 2 bucket process, which dealer also said wouldn't work.....??? Is my dealer FOS?

any thoughts?

Oh yea, one more thing. I read on here a few times that nissan no longer sells the matic-j, will this dealer has some and said he never heard anything about nissan no longer selling it.

WTF. I just came back from the dealership and was told that matic s replaces the j, so i could use it for a drain and fill

·
Registered
17 Posts
put it this way...theres a reason that they are behind the counter and not in the shop. you'll be able to mix the 2. the s is an upgrade. you can go up in grade but not down. its just like chryslers atf +2 and atf +4.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts