Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those here who have D-rings/shackles (including the "super off-roadie peeps" LOL) - any particular brand you've used/are using? Crosby or Warn 3/4" shackles have been recommended to me a few times, just wondering if there's other options.

·
Registered
544 Posts
As a Merchant Seamen the name Crosby and their Load Rated Shackles are very well known and trusted...

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
I have deleted the antagonistic post. Completely uncalled for.

The OP is requesting information on safety equipment to be used in off road recoveries. In such situations, cheap equipment can break resulting in serious injury (or worse). This is a valid topic.

I like the Smittybilt quick release shackles and have used them multiple times in real recoveries.

·
Registered
305 Posts
a slight chuckle that anything from Smittybuilt being quality...

With that said anyone looking at shackles should consider soft shackles as a part of their kit. I would agree that a soft shackle is not great in all situations but great for most.

I do agree that shackles are and should be considered as a safety item that deserves close consideration. ALWAYS GO WITH A RATED SHACKLE!!! A name brand one is good value for money when your recovery and safety are on the line.

My two cents.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
For those here who have D-rings/shackles (including the "super off-roadie peeps" LOL) - any particular brand you've used/are using? Crosby or Warn 3/4" shackles have been recommended to me a few times, just wondering if there's other options.
Not saying Warn is a bad name, just that they price on their name (incredibly high markup). I have straps & shackles from Tractor Supply and US CargoControl. With static gear (tow straps, tree straps, shackles, anything not Designed to stretch) go with a large safety rating. eg. my shackles are all 6ton WLL and static straps are 3". Kinetic straps need be sized to the working load (what you're pulling out). If you go too large a strap (or Bubba rope) it won't stretch and it will feel like you just recovered a tree... Also (while not having gear break is the intent) if anything is to fail, I want it to be the thing least likely to kill me (fabric strap) instead of the shackle or vehicle recovery point (or that "real good" idea to loop the strap around your axle when its 2am and you've been stuck since 11am...) ALWAYS look at the WLL and Safety Factor or rated and breaking strength of any recovery gear. For example the USCC 7/8" shackle has a WLL of 6.5ton and a SF 6:1 giving a break strength of 39ton... If your bumper recovery point won't fit a pin from a 7/8" shackle, a 3/4" shackle is 4 3/4ton with break strength 28 1/2ton.... Safety Factors are very important. Just as understanding where an object will likely fail Should it fail... with straps, stitching is the weakest point followed by abrasion points... after a day on the trail take your straps out, inspect for frayed edges/fabric, dirt, stones/gravel. If they're dirty/muddy brush then wash them out. let them dry in a shaded area (UV weakens) before storing.

I like the Smittybilt quick release shackles and have used them multiple times in real recoveries.
quick release shackle??? do you have a link?

a slight chuckle that anything from Smittybuilt being quality...

With that said anyone looking at shackles should consider soft shackles as a part of their kit. I would agree that a soft shackle is not great in all situations but great for most.

I do agree that shackles are and should be considered as a safety item that deserves close consideration. ALWAYS GO WITH A RATED SHACKLE!!! A name brand one is good value for money when your recovery and safety are on the line.

My two cents.
^^ THIS. Always rated/proofed gear for recoveries. Beyond connecting straps to straps what other use is there for soft shackles? You really don't want to use your axle as a recovery point and any other possible point has sharp edges? For connecting 2 straps, or shortening a strap to itself I use a dowel to put a bight in the line... now you have a variable length tow strap. In both cases I use a piece of hardwood doweling 1 1/4 diameter. You can also use a magazine or rolled up newspaper or stick, but I don't like to scrounge during a recovery...

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
what was your reason for going with that shackle? did you have issues with the pin not unscrewing after recovery? I coat the threads with anti-seize once a year to prevent corrosion and when snatching I back it out 1/8 turn to prevent binding...
I worry about SF & breaking strengths as I've seen too many failed recoveries (fortunately no fatalities) from people going cheap (private time) and going too fast/rushing (professional time)

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Hardware stores have a good selection. Both Ace and True value based. Doubt any of those fancy offroad companies forge their own shackles. They just re-brand off the shelf ones. I have never had issues with any of the shackles I have used. Even ones that were very small. Though little things. What has failed me are anchor points (usually intended for tie down) or straps. I have busted several straps and ropes. Small tow straps suck. The type with the sewn in hooks. Get big straps with loops.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hardware stores have a good selection. Both Ace and True value based. Doubt any of those fancy offroad companies forge their own shackles. They just re-brand off the shelf ones. I have never had issues with any of the shackles I have used. Even ones that were very small. Though little things. What has failed me are anchor points (usually intended for tie down) or straps. I have busted several straps and ropes. Small tow straps suck. The type with the sewn in hooks. Get big straps with loops.
I don't know how valid this is, but I read elsewhere that the reliable brands actually have their name on it, i.e. I noticed that Crosby and Warn actually have the name "branded in" on the part itself. A lot of the other shackles I've seen so far have rating markings and such, but no brand. I'm really just looking to see what others use as far as shackles go - I have no interest in talking about straps, zero interest in soft shackles - at least not in this thread ::smile::

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
I would imagine I use my recovery a lot more often than most and I have never had an issue with my Smittybilt shackles or winch for that matter. I've lost count of how many times I've used them to recover myself and countless others via winch and strap. My truck is nearly 3 tons and I've never had one of their shackles so much as distort, much less deform enough to not be able to remove the pin or even make it any more difficult to remove. I've pulled myself and many others (including 1 Hummer H1 and several full size rigs much heavier than mine) uphill, out of being buried in the sand, mud and whatever else you can imagine.
Granted, I have a nice fancy shackle that I use on the thimble end of my winch line as it's polished and doesn't mar the inside of my thimble but 19 times out of 20 I'm grabbing one of the Smitty shackles off of my bumper where they live.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts