Nissan Frontier Forum banner

What Chip to buy for 3.3L ?

24K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  butterman2473 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Desert Runner with a 3.3L non-supercharged automatic trans.

I want to get a performance chip but don't know anything about them. All i know is they mean horsepower and better gas mileage and I want that.

Here are some I've considered. Anyone have experience with them ?

Nissan Frontier Performance Chips

(that one looks the best to me)

Surge Performance Chip by Surge Engineering

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
don't waste your money. all those things do is modify the way the truck reads the air flow and air temp, or something like that. they are a joke. nobody has reported any gains by using one.

Reactions: Steveie
#4 ·
sadly no. and the closest thing to a chip is to send your ecu to JET chips so they can recalibrate it to the mods already done to your truck but from what i am told JET is a joke and there is no noticeable difference in hp. on clubxterra.org there is a thread that superchips might do a tuner for our trucks but everytime i check the thread there is no news whether or not they are going to make one.

#5 ·
I live about 20 mins from SuperChips in Florida. Maybe I can see if they are willing to create something if i go down there one day.........I guess i'll stick with K&N intake and Headers/Exhaust system.

#7 ·
Superchips is in Florida and is in test mode right now..... Send them an email
also check the thread on clubxterra

#9 ·
They can test on my 3.3L all the want, then they should give it to me for free haha.

Superchips is in Sandford, FL. About 15 miles North East of Downtown Orlando in Seminole County.

#11 ·
yeah man go down there and see what they say, i want a nice hand held programmer that will give my truck more power, firmer tranny shifts, and better fuel economy. if you do it and they say not at the moment well i guess we will do what their banner says under this thread "stay tuned".

#10 ·
do it!!!

#12 ·
I was wondering if anyone has thought about contacting other programmer manufactures such as Diablo Sport DiabloSport :: Gas and Diesel Tuning Systems about making something for the first gens? I mean I know that there are not many of us out there that mod these trucks but there seems to be enough of them on the road. I am sure some company out there has to want to make something especially if no one else is making anything at all.

#14 ·
Yeah...I know it's unlikely, but I know I've heard somewhere on the forum from someone who has had success using a tuner on these engines.

Sure...it kept eating his catalytic converters...sigh, yes, I'm still willing to see if I can do it better.

He got better economy and power.

So if any of you still have one of these trucks and will notice this email 8 years later, tall order I know, it's possible somewhere, and I'm serious about making a real change.

It's sad to hear that the Jet one - the only one available on the market, yet it's available everywhere I look right now for $274 just fakes a couple of sensors...that means that it'll actually make for some serious issues. :( At least that's what it does according to a post above.

Sadly, everytime I see a product apply to any vehicle I own, even if it is expensive like this, all turns out to be useless it also requires I make a new wire loom and have the new device take over...which means it's a racer only and has no OBD II port - I guess if I'd EVER live where there were no emissions, I could do it...I live in a state where the whole state is known for no emissions...except where I live!

You have to understand. The mods I do, while making power, are all made with still keeping the planet healthy. They really don't have to outlaw me. :angel:

#15 ·
I have a 2001 Desert Runner with a 3.3L non-supercharged automatic trans.

I want to get a performance chip but don't know anything about them. All i know is they mean horsepower and better gas mileage and I want that.

Here are some I've considered. Anyone have experience with them ?

Nissan Frontier Performance Chips

(that one looks the best to me)

Surge Performance Chip by Surge Engineering

Thanks in advance.
did you ever find a chip?!! I have the same truck but red. it's Gettin old tho, has 230k. so what chip did you end up gettin g did it work?!

#16 ·
DavidC hasn't been heard from in ten years. There are no chips for the 1st Gens. A long time ago, Jim Wolfe Technology would remove take your ECM, remove the chip from the circuit board and solder the chip back on with new programing, but they don't do it anymore. I believe Jet still does a similar service, but I've heard mixed reviews about them.

#17 ·
Do what I did. I deleted the clutch fan and install a Dual brushless motor dual fan flow 1550cfm with bigger all aluminum radiator. Its a huge HP free up to gain. I also grease the wheel bearing with new grease every brake job. It help the truck slid faster which is more gain. I also add a funny looking cold air intake which lower IAT data for more timing equal more power. I just wish I can delete the EGR and remain with in EPA laws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.