Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that i am into this wheeling thing. i want to know what is a common thing to break? i will be getting armor in aug to protect the mid. alot of people that had mods in rausch all seem to carry an array of parts with them. hopefully i will be doing this atleast once a month and it is also my dd. so what parts should i be bringing??

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The only easy things that you can really change on the trail is your half-shafts on your front diff, your shocks if you blow one and need to get home and then lastly your alternator since they sometimes get caked with mud and die. A starter may be nice too but I am not sure how well they are protected on the 1st gens.

Ohhh, you should probably carry some RTV, oils (engine, diffs, trans, xfer, etc...) and a good set of tools just in case you have to change anything.

Lastly, if you have a CAI, you may want to carry some MAF cleaner and an extra filter just incase you run into some water/mud.

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
lol thread steal-- first thing that came up when i typed it that was appropriate for this site lol

end thread steal
back to the parts ya need.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
if your gonna start wheeling every month... go do yourself a favor and spend the 200 bucks or so on a centerlink built by richard... itll save your tires in the long run... or you could call hoohaa and have him make one... but his welds seem to not be up to par

but as for what i carry, i have a CV and 2 sets of tie rods/adjusters

thats about it... no hoses needed... our engine doesnt flex that much (unless you break a motor mount... which is possible)

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
hoses would be under general maintanence for me not just 4x4

rear axle is good with fluid change so again general maintanence

basically beef up your steering and maybe carry about a spare front axle shaft other than that the 1st gens are pretty solid

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
what i am gonna spend on first is the armor. so nothing else breaks. sorry for sounding noob but what do those parts do?? (the center link, tie rod)

how do i beef up the steering?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow, thats some serious cash. if i am gonna spend that kinda of money, i should have a trail rig that i will tow with my frontier. so.. tie rods and an axle. ok, i think i can handle that.

so whats that fusion talking with the center link. whats it do?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
thats in the steering kit

click on the 1st link the biggest piece in the pic is the center link
yeah but the thing im talking about can be had for 200 bills and lets you use your stock tie rod ends and adjusters.... so all you spend is 200 bucks.. nothing else.. ohh and maybe an alignment

that TC kit is insane and so not worth it

im at the $350 mark for my fully heim steering kit using an L&P stage 3 system

EDIT: thank me later...

hoohaa:

HooHaa centerlinks - Topic Powered by Eve For Enterprise

richard:

NOAS4X4club.com :: View topic - centerlinks

my bad.. there 225

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've been wheeling my truck...hard...for 5 years now. I have broken two engine mounts (driver's side only) and grenaded one CV shaft. If you like to play in the mud count on losing an alternator sooner or later. Of course I upgraded everything I could before I started wheeling so my list isn't really accurate. Aaron laid it out there for ya.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts