Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new battery, as my truck has been sluggish to start lately. My reasoning was to go with a Duralast battery since Autozones are practically everywhere, and my last duralast in my toyota lasted 5+ years. However, this battery in my Frontier has only gotten me to 2, maybe 3 years. So now I'm looking for a longer lasting, more reliable battery. Possibly one more tolerant of deep cycles (I might accidentally drain the battery listening to the radio 4 or 5 times a year. Other than that, no deep cycles are done)

I've been researching online and people love/hate their brands. Some love interstate, some hate optima. I'm wondering what you guys chose. I mean, you guys obviously chose the best truck out there.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Costco cheap and easy returns. I can have two Costco batteries for cost of one Interstate.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I use an Optima Yellow Top and have in all the different cars I've had since 2000. Some say since they moved production to Mexico that the quality has suffered however my experience has been good, 4-5 years per battery.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just replaced my Nissan battery with an interstate. Pricey but it was the only one in stock and I needed it. Plus 800 cca is awesome when you leave for work at 1am in -40*f weather

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I've had a Optima yellow top in the truck 4yrs now. And had a red top in my '98 SS Camaro for many years. I will continue to buy them.

·
Super Moderator
11,252 Posts
The Costco battery is an interstate battery, it's just got a black case.

Clint

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Costco cheap and easy returns. I can have two Costco batteries for cost of one Interstate.
I've been reading good things about costco brand

I use an Optima Yellow Top and have in all the different cars I've had since 2000. Some say since they moved production to Mexico that the quality has suffered however my experience has been good, 4-5 years per battery.
That's the consensus I'm seeing. Since the mexico move, I'm seeing people not getting more than 2-3 years out of the batter.

I'm looking at duracell or Napa Power battery

I've been reading a desulfator hooked up to it full time would make the batteries last longer. Any experiences with this?

·
Registered
534 Posts
That's the consensus I'm seeing. Since the mexico move, I'm seeing people not getting more than 2-3 years out of the batter.
I installed a Yellow Top in July of 2011 and just replaced it with another in September this year, so take it for what it's worth...

P.S. Approx 90k miles on the battery also.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed a Yellow Top in July of 2011 and just replaced it with another in September this year, so take it for what it's worth...

P.S. Approx 90k miles on the battery also.
Considering they cost twice as much, and I"m getting the same lifespan out of lesser brands, I'd say it's not worth it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just replaced my Optima red top with a new, after 8 years. It still seemed fine, but was starting to make me nervous, because it still seemed fine. lol

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have had good luck with Walmart Everstart. (Johnson Control manufacture). Price was good and we all know Walmart is everywhere. (lol).

As far as only lasting a short time. Here in Arizona many shops say if you get over 36 months from a battery , your on borrowed time. In my Dodge and our Jeep, we are lucky to get past 24 months.

·
Super Moderator
11,252 Posts
Just bought the Costco battery for my Rogue, I believe it was $80 and Costco stands behind what they sell more than most retail stores these days.
Any vehicle that sits for long periods of time should be on a battery tender. The battery lasts way longer and without sulfation. I bought 3 of them at Costco for only $39 each.
Another choice is an absorbent glass mat (AGM) style battery from Advance Auto and can usually find a 25% coupon online.
I will buy one of them for the Challenger in the spring.
Nissan batteries are NOT maintenance free and fluid must be watched , I've had Nissan batteries fail as soon as just over a year old.
Sears is another choice as there is always one nearby.

Clint

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have had good luck with Walmart Everstart. (Johnson Control manufacture). Price was good and we all know Walmart is everywhere. (lol).

As far as only lasting a short time. Here in Arizona many shops say if you get over 36 months from a battery , your on borrowed time. In my Dodge and our Jeep, we are lucky to get past 24 months.
Do you think it's the heat that kills them? I'm in vegas and have just over 2.5 years on my battery. Colorado I've gotten 6+ years out of one.

·
Super Moderator
11,252 Posts
Surely heat contributes to it. One important thing to do is add those felt pads to the terminal posts and if you can buy some corrosion spray to coat the metal too. My Pathfinder in 9 years had terminals with zero corrosion on them and only had one battery change.

Clint

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I have a Rocky's starter battery(local shop house brand, they have locations all over) and a Motomaster deep cycle in my truck. Brass marine terminals, felt pads and terminal spray keeps them clean.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
There are not many battery manufacturers, the bigger retail stores have their own names put on the batteries, i.e. Everstart for Walmart, Die Hard for Sears, DuraLast for Autozone etc. But they mostly come from Johnson Controls, Delphi, Interstate, or Exide.

More important is the size or group, my Frontier came with a group 35N (N for North) and that's big enough for me. Two larger batteries that should fit with some modification are group 27F or group 24F, but measure and make sure you can get the proper hold down bracket before you buy. Costco, Walmart, and Autozone all sell good batteries and I think all are made by Johnson Controls or Interstate although they do change manufacturers from time to time.

As stated above be sure to check/add distilled water twice a year or so and your battery will last a lot longer.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts