Nissan Frontier Forum banner

What’s up with Nissan stereo system oddness?

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  raine 
#1 ·
I’ve been installing stereos for years in all kinds of vehicles. However, in looking into changing out my system to aftermarket, it seems like st least this Nissan model has a lot of things that are not the norm.

for instance, the use of 2 ohm speakers, 6 volt powered backup camera (instead of the standard 12v), as well as a rather complicated wiring setup for the steering wheel controls.

Wondering why they chose to build it this way? I’m sure it has to do with cost, but it sure has made upgrading the system more costly, and time consuming.

#2 ·
The 2 ohm speakers are to get more volume with less power. 6 volt backup cam isn’t that crazy…..Toyota does that as well.

As for steering wheel controls, it’s 3 wires. I honestly don’t know how much less complicated it could get. Get a maestro RR or sw, follow the instructions and it’s really quite simple…

The hard part is getting the info about how the stereo works from the right people (or finding the info in the manuals). Once you understand how it works it’s actually all incredibly easy to upgrade.

#5 ·
Get a maestro RR...
Yep! I'm still at a loss as to why these aren't more popular. Fun/useful mod to be able to view OBD data displayed live on aftermarket stereo's screen then switch between two 5-gauge clusters.

#3 ·
I’ve been installing stereos for years in all kinds of vehicles. However, in looking into changing out my system to aftermarket, it seems like st least this Nissan model has a lot of things that are not the norm.

for instance, the use of 2 ohm speakers, 6 volt powered backup camera (instead of the standard 12v), as well as a rather complicated wiring setup for the steering wheel controls.

Wondering why they chose to build it this way? I’m sure it has to do with cost, but it sure has made upgrading the system more costly, and time consuming.
All three things you mentioned aren’t car audio “standard”, but at the same time let’s not blow it out of proportion - it’s just the way Nissan chose to do it Just like 24v BMWs, Torx screws, and all the proprietary wiring connectors… don’t think too much into it, the good thing is that you know the specs so you can resolve them when installing/ upgrading (y)

2-ohm speakers?
Swap with 2-ohm, or run 4-ohm at a lower level, or”standardize” it by also installing a 4-ohm HU.

6v reverse camera?
There are plug-and-play aftermarket solutions already for this, or you can just use a simple 12v-to-6v stepdown converter from Amazon for like $9.

“Rather complicated wiring setup”?
As @BLtheP said… it’s 3 wires.

#4 ·
Check Club Frontier's Raine's Project Keira Website for additional on the Nissan Stereo System.....

Or you can use the "Search" function here on Club Frontier for SoCal's PDF on how to upgrade the Nissan Factory Stereo System to aftermarket. Those two Club Frontier members are just a few of the Maestros here on Club Frontier when it comes to upgrading your stock stereo sytem...

Reactions: Zedbra and raine
#9 ·
Man, I appreciate that. I'm well aware of how to install, use adapters, tap into factory stuff, install amps, speakers, etc. My question was about why Nissan chose to make their system so much different than most of the others out there. I can navigate it, just wish it (including the camera) were more "industry standard" than it is.

#13 ·
I'm fine with CANBUS. I also understand that car makers are more about maximizing their bottom line, rather than making things easy for aftermarket accessories to be installed later. Just wish Nissan stereo stuff wasn't such a pain to work on. I know there are other brands that have oddities, but I'm not so concerned with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.