Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Nissan frontier SE-V6 King Cab 4x4 5 Speed Manual Transmission
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im just curious on how these trucks handle towing especially first generation D22 frontiers with the 3.3 V6 engine.

i’ll start off,
this isn’t really towing as there was no tongue weight on the truck at all but I did pull this 2004 honda civic about 2 hours and a half from home and the truck pulled the car with ease

yes I know this is amateur but I would like to see what other fellow frontier owners have hauled! I plan to do more towing with this truck and i’m curious on what other frontier owners have hauled. all frontiers are welcomed!

·
Registered
834 Posts
I pulled a 2002 Nissan Maxima (3500 Lbs) on a U-Haul double axle trailer that weighed 1,000 Lbs over a 40 mile distance and up a TALL Bridge that Oil Tankers go under.

Reactions: Arodis Reyes

·
Registered
243 Posts
I haven't towed anything over 2K pounds but I did move a 7500lbs enclosed landscape trailer after my landscapers truck had died. The truck did fine but again it was only about a 100 foot move.

edit - this was with a second gen

·
Registered
2014 Frontier PRO-4X
3 Posts
2014 PRO-4X here, I've pulled a 3500# single axle cargo trailer (weighed at 2900# trailer axle with about 400# tongue weight) from Pennsylvania to southern California and it handled it incredibly well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled a 2002 Nissan Maxima (3500 Lbs) on a U-Haul double axle trailer that weighed 1,000 Lbs over a 40 mile distance and up a TALL Bridge that Oil Tankers go under.
wow that sounds amazing. this gave me more confidence in this little truck for towing!

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (15,000km)
179 Posts
I pull my RPod. Don't know exact weight, but it's over 3000#. It's not the weight that is the problem (I also have Sumosprings in the rear for extra weight capacity), it's the trailer frontal area and wind resistance when you hit highway speeds. Towing WITH the wind at your back I find easy/pleasant even at 60mph. Towing AGAINST the wind is a constant fight - gas pedal up/down/up/down trying to hold speed.

So...I've just started to make a sacrifice to the wind gods before I head out!

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (15,000km)
179 Posts
That bridge looks familiar....we drove from Houston to New Orleans (took a vacation in that area) and kind of looks similar to one on that trip? Is that the one in Baton Rouge?

·
Registered
834 Posts
That bridge looks familiar....we drove from Houston to New Orleans (took a vacation in that area) and kind of looks similar to one on that trip? Is that the one in Baton Rouge?
It's the Harbor Bridge in Corpus Christi, Tx. There's a huge oil tanker port here. The bridge in that pic tho is about to be no more. There's a much longer and taller bridge their building right now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[

This Is The Bridge I Pulled 4500 Lbs up. Not To Mention All the Stuff In the Bed. Just Call It 5,000 Lbs.

View attachment 322999

this is the bridge i went up pulling the civic which weighed around 2,500# and i had 2 other people in the truck. it went up amazingly well in 4th gear out of my 5 manual transmission gears.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mines freak d22 cc those where rated higher than Tacomas and ads would suggest its a 1/2 ton. Pull Airstream and load back with water,coolers everything for camping. 1000 in back plus 500 tounge weight trailer 4500. Rated 3500 with manual. Suspension is beast on mine much better than the Tacoma extra cab TRD I had and better seating position. I pulled with water in trailer up Mirror Lake at 11,000 feet. Second gear and not liking it at all. You newbs back East do not have hills lol. This area is closed for snow right now!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I have no idea how much weight that is. The pic don't do it justice. the log on the right, best I remember was around 27" and 14 feet. The bed had a few cedar logs in there too. 85 mph down the interstate was no problem. Back roads with sharp curves and hills were no problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts