Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have a 2019 Frontier Pro 4-X.
I looked at the air intake tread but most I seen was from 05 n 07.
its 2021 and wondering if anyone knew a good cold air intake for a frontier?
Money isn’t an issue just wanting some up to date info on a good intake. Like hp gains, torque gains, sound, easy install, looks, and so on.

Thanks in advance
Josh

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
840 Posts
I saw a video that compared a bunch, the two that they tested with the best results were from Nismo (expected), and Volant. They rated the Volant higher, and some people on here swear by them. I personally don't think you could go wrong with either.

Reactions: Thetruckman21

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw a video that compared a bunch, the two that they tested with the best results were from Nismo (expected), and Volant. They rated the Volant higher, and some people on here swear by them. I personally don't think you could go wrong with either.
ok awesome thanks

·
Gone but not forgotten Member
5,729 Posts
They use the same Cai on the Titan if I was told right.
Keep it stock or do it for aesthetics/sound and not for performance.
I disconnected the intake to the fender well .
Sucked in silt till it started deforming the air filter.
I ran ( still do till I run out)Amsoil nano fiber filters. Discontinued but was able to buy at a good price.
Good for 1000 k each. Just need to blow them out.
Logo Bottle Symbol Emblem Silver

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Money isn’t an issue just wanting some up to date info on a good intake. Like hp gains, torque gains, sound, easy install, looks, and so on.

Thanks in advance
Josh
The best CAI is the stock system. No issues with warranty. Best performance because it genuinely draws cold air from the wheel well.

But this approach is not sexy. Buy what your wallet will allow. Be prepared to reinstall the stock system if you need to.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,100 Posts
From what i've read, pretty sure the volant (not familiar with nismo) also sucks air from the same hole to the fender, that's why they actually do increase power properly and don't lose low end power like almost all the rest do, there are only a few that work right - those big exposed cones are good for nothing but suck sound. The Volant is just so darn expensive for a cheap plastic box... I'd consider one if they were like half the price.

·
Premium Member
7,474 Posts
Yep, stock system is a CAI and is the same as on the 5.6 V8 Titan engine...meaning it breathes and filters just fine. Aftermarket CAIs will allow for some 'fresh' sounds that will awaken one's butt dyno into a false sense of well being.
I still want one, though.

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
840 Posts
Yep, stock system is a CAI and is the same as on the 5.6 V8 Titan engine...meaning it breathes and filters just fine. Aftermarket CAIs will allow for some 'fresh' sounds that will awaken one's butt dyno into a false sense of well being.
I still want one, though.
I'd get one just for the sound, yea otherwise there truly isn't much of a point. In the video I mentioned the gains appeared to be marginal at best, after they tuned the stock system. They recommended those two based on quality and the (marginal) gains they did notice. They did not have a TRW in that video though, I would go with one of those three.
Apologies, I forgot to mention that originally, I should of.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What the aftermarket CAI's do provide is the removal of the Helmholtz resonators...the weird tubes in the box sticking off the second half of the tube. Those slow down airflow intentionally to mute out certain frequencies and control pulses during quick throttle blips.

I didn't care about looks or power when I installed my CAI. I just couldn't stand the super high pitched whistle I constantly heard from the stock intake, which is those tubes during their job.

·
Gone but not forgotten Member
5,729 Posts
That would almost pay for half the cost of an Uprev system.
That is without dyno time but even without I heard the basic downloads are
vast improvement over any other programmer.

·
Premium Member
7,474 Posts
What the aftermarket CAI's do provide is the removal of the Helmholtz resonators...the weird tubes in the box sticking off the second half of the tube. Those slow down airflow intentionally to mute out certain frequencies and control pulses during quick throttle blips.

I didn't care about looks or power when I installed my CAI. I just couldn't stand the super high pitched whistle I constantly heard from the stock intake, which is those tubes during their job.
Cool. I hadn't thought of our stock CAI's silencing job in terms of a Helmholtz resonator. But, now I'm anxious to drive my truck as I'm unaware of this 'stock' high-pitched whistle you referenced.

Fwiw, there are some folks that claim their K&N has offered increased fuel economy. Since this is not an across the board claim, so I have my doubts. JMO, but careful driving w/ a lighter right foot does wonders no matter the intake system/filter.

Overall, I don't know of too many across the board claims w/ any aftermarket CAI...other than increased intake 'noises' that seem to generate worthiness. Will say it again, I still want one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you really want a better sounding intake that does boost your power...I have this Eaton M90 sitting around for a Jeep project, but honestly it would be the perfect size to give the 4.0 around 5#, and they can be had on Ebay for around $200. Snout rebuild kits run around $150, and it's not a complicated process. This idea has been on my mind a lot lately.

Grey Cylinder Steel

·
Registered
4,105 Posts

Thanks in advance
Josh
IMHO wouldn't even bother. A few HP at best, get an intake manifold spacer instead, proven HP and Torque gains and makes changing spark plugs easier as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts