Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I’m having a horrible morning!
2002 Crew Cab XE 3.3l

I locked my keys in the car this morning. Used a coat hanger and wedge to hit unlock button.
Went in to start the car, but won’t start now. No starter click no nothing.
This is we’re is gets weird and I’m stumped.

if I put the key in and turn it on, the oil light and airbag light come on. But no start.
When I turn the ignition to off and take key out, those two lights stay on and the fuel gauge stays engaged.

if I plug in my OBD2 reader, the dash acts normal, turns off when off and all lights come on when I put it on.
If I try to start it with the OBD2 scanner plugged it, i get the starter click.

Battery is at 12.4 volts.

help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Still can’t figure this out.
Where can I find an ignition wiring diagram

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Try locking and unlocking the driver door using the key.
If problem persists, disconnect the battery for 15-20 minutes to let everything reset.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Is there anything else you did, like use a SlimJim down inside the door to jimmy the lock mechanism?
Be sure all doors and the hood a securely closed when locking/unlocking driver door with the key.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No slim jim. Just coat hanger.
I pulled the battery for 30 minutes and plugged it back in.
Dash lights acted normally when ignition was ON but as soon as I tried to start it, went back to its previous behavior.
I am thinking it’s a relay somewhere?
or is this the immobilizer’s normal behavior?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You may just have a coincidental power problem.
Are the battery cables clean, really clean, like new copper? or are they white/green/yellow/black?
The posts must be clean and shiny lead, same for the battery terminals.
If you have jumper cables and another vehicle, try jumping it. If successful, your cables are corroded.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think your right.
I don’t think it’s the battery. I did try jumping. Same behavior.
Plus I get the +\- same voltage at ignition switch that I do at the battery.

so this is interesting, when I turn the car off, ACC power stays on. Ignition is in 0 but power windows still are on

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Possibly a bad ignition switch.
The ACC relay is on the back side of the fuse block near the drivers left knee.
Try jumping the starter at the starter solenoid. Apply 12v to the lead wire. If it cranks then power is good. check the ign switch.
No crank, either bad starter or bad cabling, positive or negative or both.
THIS MIGHT HELP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tested the ACC relay and ignition relay. Both are working.
I pulled the SECU. Dash lights still stay on in the dash when I pull the key in the off position but in the ON position, the SES light always lights up now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I don’t think it’s the starter switch because when I disconnect starter switch dash lights still stay on.
My assumption would be if it was the starter switch, that would turn dash lights back off

This is the dash when key is off.

·
Registered
2004 xe crew cab
35 Posts
might be a long shot but try starting it in neutral my truck would do the same thing but once I put it in neutral it would turn over and start normal

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone know where the Vehicle Security Relay is located. Relay m6 on the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still stuck here.
Brand new starter and all I get in a single click when I try to turn it over

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Still stuck here.
"Jump" it from the big positive terminal on the starter to the smaller one, see if if spins the engine. Yes, make sure it's in park or neutral !!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Still stuck here.
This is another long shot - but... If you have jumper cables, put the negative clamp on the negative battery terminal, then clamp the other negative jumper clamp onto a good solid metal part of the engine (don't connect the positive jumper clamps to anything). Now see it if starts. If yes, you may have a problem with the ground connection between the battery and the engine. I've heard of this happening twice before. One time it was fixed by replacing the negative battery cable. The other time it was fixed by cleaning and retightening the ground connection on the non-battery end of the battery ground cable. Keep the cables out of the way of the fan belt, pulleys and cooling fan(s).

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
This is another long shot - but... If you have jumper cables, put the negative clamp on the negative battery terminal, then clamp the other negative jumper clamp onto a good solid metal part of the engine (don't connect the positive jumper clamps to anything). Now see it if starts. If yes, you may have a problem with the ground connection between the battery and the engine. I've heard of this happening twice before. One time it was fixed by replacing the negative battery cable. The other time it was fixed by cleaning and retightening the ground connection on the non-battery end of the battery ground cable. Keep the cables out of the way of the fan belt, pulleys and cooling fan(s).
This is a decent way to determine if a battery cable is bad, by giving an alternate path for the electricity.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Were any substitute keys used, like a plain metal key?
Be sure all doors and hood are tightly closed.
Test to be sure both power lock buttons on the doors, and the key fob, all work both lock and unlock.

BTW, any remote starter involved in this?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Just a guess but all of these symptoms seem like anti theft device on the car is keeping it from starting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts