Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Hello,

I am considering putting my Badlands bumper back on my Frontier now that I am sure I want a winch. The thing is stout but heavy as a consequence. It drops my front end by about an inch which leads to me to my question. If I crank the t-bars to level it back out, will the additional weight return the suspension to its stock geometry, thus reducing the stresses inherent to cranking the bars?

I do plan to lift it 3 inches when the time comes, after I get my skids and sliders. Any idea what the correlation between weight and t-bar cranking is?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i was on stock suspension (no crank) with my shrock bumper and a winch, and the weight increase was noticeable.
if you cranked the bars to compensate for the additional weight, it will handle it, but it would be a rough ride, especially offroad.
you will probably have to crank and reindex them more often.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, that s what I feared. Do you think upgrading the shocks would help? I guess there comes a point when its just easier and about as expensive to get the lift package. I wonder how much it would sag with the AC 3" lift since it comes with new t-bars which I assume are a higher spring weight.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
yeah the stiffer torsion bars will definatly help , as far as shocks you may be able to run the rancho adjustables

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
a regular shock probably wouldn't help much since they don't really bear weight. a "lift" shock is valved a little stiffer, so it will help with compression and deal with payload a little better.

i never really thought about this before, but i wonder what it would ride like if you used a short air shock. (air shocks bear weight)
you might be able to stick one of these 8 inchers in there.
http://www.kingshocks.com/airshocks.php?action=air_shocks
again- no idea how it would ride, or if it would fit. tuning would be easy though because all you would need is an air compressor.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
ill keep an eye out on N4W or ronin , alot of people goin sas right now so they might be selling there IFS stuff

never really thought about this before, but i wonder what it would ride like if you used a short air shock.
ride would suck for normal day driving , due to the fact the air shock doesnt have the same rebound effect as torsion bars or springs

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ill keep an eye out on N4W or ronin , alot of people goin sas right now so they might be selling there IFS stuff

ride would suck for normal day driving , due to the fact the air shock doesnt have the same rebound effect as torsion bars or springs
Thanks Penski. I just joined nissanoffroad to keep an eye on there. something used but in good shape would be the perfect solution. I hate paying for something new when it will be new for about 10mins.

I have dealt with a lot of air shocks in my mountain bike days and they just involve more tuning that I desire. My thought was that a "heavier duty" shock might help control the compression and rebound more effectively than the stock shocks. I know that they won't bear the weight.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
yeah , i guess if your looking for stock height shocks go with the bilsteins

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe I will just wait. Seems silly to shell out the money for shocks that I paln on replacing soon.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i'm curious to see what it would ride like paired with tbars though.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'm curious to see what it would ride like paired with tbars though.
Yea, if the spring rate and rebound could be matched it might work. I think the benefits would come from longer travel setups since unless you have some fancy valving or oil segment that initial compression is pretty harsh.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
oh i thought you meant removing t-bars and only running air shocks
cause you usually only see air shocks on rock crawlers

but like you said adrenaline just wait till you know what your doin as far as lift etc

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i wheeled with a guy a few weeks back that had a sas'd dakota with coilovers up front and only air shocks in the rear. the truck worked really well and it was very streetable.

i would wait on upgrades to the front if you are just going to lift it within the year though.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
While I have the attention the 1st Gen gurus...

What front lift parts are compatiable between the Xterra and Frontier? if i can broaden my horizons to the xterra crowd I might be able to score a deal.

So I am looking at...

-tbars
-UCAs
-ball joints
-sleeves

For the rear I can just get some shackles and an AAL from wherever.

Thanks

Oh yeah, what the hell is this:

http://www.eautoworks.com/product-Rancho-247516.htm

·
Registered
637 Posts
I think thats the picture for the Ford F-150's lift kit.

As far as I know no one makes a DB kit for the first gen Frontiers, I have never seen one.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think thats the picture for the Ford F-150's lift kit.

As far as I know no one makes a DB kit for the first gen Frontiers, I have never seen one.
Yea, never seen one for a Frontier. What a crappy site if they cant even use the correct picture.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts