Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went through all of posts looking for some infomation on the weight & brands of motor oil and I did not find a thing!

I plan on going synthetic on my first oil change most likely 0-40 Mobil One. I have used this weight & brand in two 3.5L VQ's with no problems.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments or recommendations?

Thanks
Major

Attachments

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
there was something said in this link about synthetic oil and the 4.0L engine. here the link: http://www.clubfrontier.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=52

Quote: not sure about the 4 cylinder.. but the 4.0L has molychomium (sp?) coated piston ring.. it has been our experience that anything with a smooth surface ring doesnt seat as well with synthetic oil and you run the risk of blowby in higher mileage. you can use it.. but if you find a knowledgeable nissan tech.. they will probably tell you it isnt neccesary and would be overkill.. so if that is true for the v-6 i wouldnt worry about it in the 4 cly. unless you plan on only changing every 7500 then i would use synthetic... just my $.02

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gfronty05,
Thanks for the link, I did a search and did not see it. I wish I knew more about this topic, it would appear to me that a synthetic motor oil would reduce engine wear and prolong the life of the engine and therefore blow-by would not be a problem?

You indicated in your post "it has been our experience" what experience are you speaking from racing, engineering, auto technician?

Here is a pretty good link that discusses oil filters, especially Nissan Brand:

http://www.6mt.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9457

This is from an Infiniti G35 Forum

Thanks
Major

Attachments

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I actually quoted that from the link that I sent you, I heard of this and thought I would share it with you. As for me I use mobil 5000 synthetic blend, in my 350z and my frontier and it works great. That thread made me think twice about using synthetic.

Thank for the link, I will not use to factory filter anymore!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I switched to Mobil 1 5W30 2000 miles ago and just checked my oil yesterday and it's just as clean and at the same level it was the day I changed it, so it doesn't appears there is a blow-by issue with mine. I also checked the tailpipe, which looks the same as it has for quite some time, no evidence of any oil residue or soot that would indicate a ploblem with blow-by.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts