Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I鈥檓 having troubles getting these in the channels.. just feels like it鈥檚 going to snap. It says to start at the mirror then go to other end and put that in and then start working it in from there.

Closest I鈥檝e gotten it is if I put the upper side in first and all the way down but I just can鈥檛 get the end by the mirror in without feeling like it鈥檚 going to break. I鈥檓 just not sure how far I can flex it. Don鈥檛 want to break them and be out $60. Anyone else run into this, any good ways or am I just being too careful with it?

Registered
So I鈥檓 having troubles getting these in the channels.. just feels like it鈥檚 going to snap. It says to start at the mirror then go to other end and put that in and then start working it in from there.

Closest I鈥檝e gotten it is if I put the upper side in first and all the way down but I just can鈥檛 get the end by the mirror in without feeling like it鈥檚 going to break. I鈥檓 just not sure how far I can flex it. Don鈥檛 want to break them and be out $60. Anyone else run into this, any good ways or am I just being too careful with it?
Not trying to be a d!ck, but might double check instructions, cause I think I remember a post a couple of months back that stated a lot of people were installing them wrong. I think it said that a tab was supposed to stay on outside of channel so window doesn't click each time it rolls up. I've got the stick-ons so not much help and memory seems to get worse everyday! Lol. Hope you get it figured out.
(y)
Edit: Found it!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Believe me I have checked them and went on YouTube I鈥檓 doing it like they say but I have not found any actual frontier videos. They show it looking so easy but it鈥檚 usually on a rounded style window that probably would be much easier. I know how it goes, just not as easy as I thought without feeling like it鈥檚 going to snap.

The tab you may be referring to is probably the one at the bottom by mirrors that sits on the rubber so water sheds to outside instead of in the channel. Thanks for trying!馃憤

Registered
I felt the same way when I installed mine. You definitely do need to flex and bend them a bit to get them in.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I saw where someone almost folded one in half on YouTube but I think it was more for advertising. I don鈥檛 think weathertech claims this though.

Registered
I started that other thread mentioned above. Even though it wasn't modeled on a Frontier, I watched those WeatherTech installation videos, followed the directions carefully, and heeded the installation advice of others when wrestling the WT door visors into position.

I, too, thought I was going to break something, but I did as instructed, used elbow grease, and in they went. If cold weather conditions are present, you may want to keep each of them warm until the moment of installation, this may help, too. And since I installed mine in the cold, getting the windows to shut fully after install was a 2-person job. My wife ran the switch, I stood at the end of the door, one hand on each side of the window squeezing on the face of the glass, and helping lift/push the glass fully up into the gaskets. This took a few tries with each window. I waited a solid 3-4 days before lowering the windows, giving the gaskets time to settle to the new conditions. Parking in the sun and running the cab heat hot helps to get the gaskets to conform on those first days, too.

I'm very happy with them. They work very well at quieting wind noise, and calming the air blast, when windows are open. And they also help a bit with shading low angle sunshine, too. And since my truck is dark blue, the short length of the rear visors blends in with the paint and tinted glass, I don't even notice their short length anymore.

Registered
They bend more than you think. Put the front side by the mirror in first so it's all lined up and resting on the sill, bend it pushing it out and away and towards the front of the truck, and get the rear portion in the rear channel, not the top right away, and start tucking the rest of the tab into the channel by pulling it toward you and "rolling" the tab down. The rears were a breeze compared to the fronts.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks for the help guys.. I鈥檒l try them again a lil later. I do have them inside where it鈥檚 warm right now.

Premium Member

I broke two putting them in and Weathertech replaced them without isssue, be careful but they have your back just in case.
Surely if was warmer out I wouldn鈥檛 have had as much trouble.
Clint

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Clint.. little chili around here but it鈥檚 in garage and deflectors inside right now warming.

Registered
I have installed many of the weather tech deflectors in my day. i was nervous the first time of breaking them, now I can do it with my eyes closed.

Registered
Is there any wind noise from these "in the channel" visors?
It seems at some point there has to be a tiny gap between the glass and the visor in the channel which would cause a bit of noise at highway speed. No ?

Premium Member
I鈥檝e never had any wind noise in those trucks that had them but they do slow the up travel in the window glass. I鈥檓 on my third truck with the stick on version of visors and now prefer them.
Once you have any visor you鈥檒l never go without them.

Clint

Registered
I鈥檝e never had any wind noise in those trucks that had them but they do slow the up travel in the window glass. I鈥檓 on my third truck with the stick on version of visors and now prefer them.
Once you have any visor you鈥檒l never go without them.

Clint
They're a must down here in Oklahoma in the summer heat! Never know when a heat of the day thunderstorm will pop up at the worst time.

Registered
When the windows are closed, I find no additional wind noise, and my ears are tuned for unusual noises. When the windows are cracked open, I find the sound to be a bit quieter than without the WT's, air is not whistling by the open crack, but nor is it rushing through the opening- ventilation without the blast. When the windows are significantly-to-wide open, I don't perceive additional wind noise, and the airflow past or into the windows is calmer than without them. Yes, the window moves a bit slower until it clears that area of the gasket that shares space with the deflectors, esp. the fronts, but overall I am happy with them and I'm glad I installed them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I got my deflectors in finally, hadn鈥檛 tried since before I posted. Had them nice and warm sitting in doors. I鈥檓 going to give them a chance but I鈥檓 not liking how tight they are.

I done what they suggested and I鈥檒l keep windows up for a few days but if still tight like they are.. their going back.

Thanks for all the help guys!
1CA8A8E7-D462-49B5-BFA4-0A621C140940.jpeg
B4FFA97C-980D-4047-A9F7-117A31E06F01.png

I just have the back ones stuck on barely, I think I might send them back.. I knew windows didn鈥檛 line up but thought possibly they might look ok.. not liking the look. What do you think?

Premium Member
You鈥檒l get used to the look as it鈥檚 just how they have to be. You also will find it鈥檚 hard to dry the glass up top when washing the truck or just cleaning the glass. Since I changed to the stick on style it鈥檚 much easier, the windows go regular speed and the front and rear deflectors line up with each other. It鈥檚 all personal preference.

Clint

Registered
I went with the AVS brand for my crew cab; easy install and love the look. These secure in window channel and no issues after two (2) years. Price was about $45.00 at the time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts