Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2018 Frontier SV 9.0 and I noticed that when I'm sitting still with the engine running - I can hear what sounds like water trickling behind my dash - probably through my heater core. To me, it sounds like an air pocket. I took it to the dealership to check it out and they can't find anything wrong with it. Do any of y'all hear this in your Frontiers?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my thought, so when it was cold I popped the radiator cap. I saw cooling fins. To me, that means its low. Ill check again in the morning.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
... I took it to the dealership to check it out and they can't find anything wrong with it....
I seriously doubt they ripped the dash apart to check the heater core, so I really wouldn't take anything they say as conclusive. Being a 2018 model I would say burping the cooling system is your best bet. Should be an air bleeder valve somewhere.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll probably wind up doing that myself. Its just irritating because the entire point of not only buying a truck with a warranty, but also buying the bumper to bumper extended warranty was I don't want to do anything to this truck until its paid off. That's why I traded in my last truck - I got tired of different things always popping up that needed work.

I just wanted to see if the dealership is as full of it as I feel they are, or if someone can back up their claim.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,100 Posts
I can hear it in my 2016 too! forgot all about it, i usually have music playing. i'll have to check out the coolant level now... i hope it's something that simple.

Can we use any coolant or do these things take some fancy $100/gallon unicorn urine?
I've got a jug of yellow and a jug of green coolant sitting around...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I can tell, they take blue coolant. I didn't have any on hand when I checked it, and wasn't too concerned since I figured the dealer would take care of it. I'll check again in the morning and if its still low, go find some.

·
Super Moderator
11,738 Posts
Use the Nissan blue (no yellow or green mix) long life coolant, add it to the plastic tank to about the seam in the middle and go for a ride to suck it into the system.
Want to enjoy your truck, stay away from a dealers service dept, it seems either they can’t reproduce the issue or if they touch something they only make it worse.

Clint

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1) Yes, you probably have air in the system.

2) How much extra did the 9.0 liter engine cost?

Vic ::

I didn't even see that! Nice catch. I'm gonna roll with it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Mine had the "waterfall" noise a few month after I purchased it. I read somewhere that is was likely due to low coolant levels. I did notice the overflow jug was low. Added distilled some coolant to the jug up to almost the max level. The noise went away the next day after driving the truck. It has not returned.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,100 Posts
I couldn't get it to make the noise any more either, only had the truck a few months too. must be a new truck thing, guessing there was just air in the system that hadn't burped yet.
so I'd say do nothing if coolant level is OK, unless it doesn't go away in a month or two.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I popped off the radiator cap this morning to check it and it was good. Weird.

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
I popped off the radiator cap this morning to check it and it was good. Weird.

Stop with the radiator cap. That's NOT how the level is checked. You need to look at the makings on the coolant reservoir on the passenger side fender with the engine cold and running with both the radiator cap and the reservoir cap on. The reservoir is not an "overflow jug" it is a sealed part of the system. the coolant level needs to be between the low and max lines with the engine cold and running.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Air pockets can build up in the top of your radiator and get stuck there even with a reservoir at capacity. This is why you "burp the system" at your radiator and not your reservoir. The most reliable way to see if you have a problem is by popping off your radiator cap and looking to see if you can see your radiator fins.

I was hearing the water behind my dash for about a month, almost every day. When I checked the radiator last weekend, I saw radiator fins. That means for almost an entire month (that I know of), I had an air pocket on top of my radiator that the reservoir wasn't filling in. The dealership said they tested the flow output at the heater core and then burped the system. I'm sure that's why the coolant level in the radiator returned to normal and now I don't hear the air pocket any more.

A low reservoir is a sure sign, but no - you can't always fully rely on your reservoir level.

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
Air pockets can build up in the top of your radiator and get stuck there even with a reservoir at capacity. This is why you "burp the system" at your radiator and not your reservoir. The most reliable way to see if you have a problem is by popping off your radiator cap and looking to see if you can see your radiator fins.

I was hearing the water behind my dash for about a month, almost every day. When I checked the radiator last weekend, I saw radiator fins. That means for almost an entire month (that I know of), I had an air pocket on top of my radiator that the reservoir wasn't filling in. The dealership said they tested the flow output at the heater core and then burped the system. I'm sure that's why the coolant level in the radiator returned to normal and now I don't hear the air pocket any more.

A low reservoir is a sure sign, but no - you can't always fully rely on your reservoir level.

I guess you can't rely on the factory method for checking the level either. :serious:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To be fair - that's probably what they recommend because the system is supposed to work like that in theory and they also don't want people burning their faces off when they pull the radiator cap while the system is still warm. I've just worked on enough cooling systems as well as have formal education under my belt regarding cooling systems and other subsystems that I've learned not to rely on the reservoir alone.

My original question was more along the lines of I'm not used to driving a vehicle this quiet, so when the dealer was telling me everything checked out ok - I didn't know if that was a sound I have been missing with these louder big trucks and older vehicles. It seems to have resolved itself now, though.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Stop with the radiator cap. That's NOT how the level is checked. You need to look at the makings on the coolant reservoir on the passenger side fender with the engine cold and running with both the radiator cap and the reservoir cap on. The reservoir is not an "overflow jug" it is a sealed part of the system. the coolant level needs to be between the low and max lines with the engine cold and running.
Thank you. I was about to point that out as well. But you have to leave the radiator cap on. If you take the radiator cap off the coolant will drain down into the reservoir and it will show full or over while you are putting a massive air bubble into the cooling loop.

The reservoir is a "degass bottle". the air bubble go here to be seperated from the water. If the water level is allowed to go low the coolant being sucked out of the degas bottle will be mixed with air (yes there is a hose on the bottom that pulls water out all the time). Being the bottle is lower than the radiator cap, when you take the radiator cap off water will seek it own level.

·
Super Moderator
11,738 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 2018 Frontier SV 9.0 and I noticed that when I'm sitting still with the engine running - I can hear what sounds like water trickling behind my dash - probably through my heater core. To me, it sounds like an air pocket. I took it to the dealership to check it out and they can't find anything wrong with it. Do any of y'all hear this in your Frontiers?
Jeremy, you tell them all, you have a 9.0 liter engine because they do everything bigger in Texas!

Clint

Reactions: Shotgun Jeremy
1 - 20 of 21 Posts