Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 SV V6 4x4. Drove around my neighborhood for about 5 minutes today. When I parked back in my garage, I noticed water dripping from the seam of the muffler. Started it up again and let it run for a minute, water immediately started dripping. Is this a problem? I've never noticed this much dripping from that spot.

·
Super Moderator
11,250 Posts
All vehicles do it, it’s part of the combustion process.

Clint

Reactions: Skinny06

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
Water/steam is a natural byproduct from the burning of gasoline.

·
Registered
308 Posts
TROLL #3

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2017 SV V6 4x4. Drove around my neighborhood for about 5 minutes today. When I parked back in my garage, I noticed water dripping from the seam of the muffler. Started it up again and let it run for a minute, water immediately started dripping. Is this a problem? I've never noticed this much dripping from that spot.
View attachment 332351

View attachment 332352
To change the subject, are those the Cooper A/T's from Walmart? If so, how do you like them?

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
TROLL #3

That's why I felt like I've read it before (like exact wording too lol)

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,831 Posts
that's nermal.

·
Registered
135 Posts
There is literally a hole in the back of the muffler to let the water out. It's not coming from the seam.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I was under the impression the water came from the process of catalyzation of the exhaust while going thru the converters. Guess I need to read up some more.

·
Registered
374 Posts
So... my understanding is that since gasoline is a hydrocarbon (composed of
hydrogen and carbon) and air contains oxygen... when the fuel ignites and
burns, the main by-products of that process are carbon and water (one part
oxygen and two parts hydrogen).
The reason you see the water dripping from your exhaust when you "drive
around the block" is because the metal parts of the exhaust system haven't
gotten hot enough, so when the vapor from combustion remaining in the
piping contact the cool temperature of them causing to condense into water.
BTW... this also happens in your combustion chamber and oil pan. so if you
don't want water in your engine and oil... don't drive around the block
if you don't need to... let your engine come up to temperature.

Ahh! Got that out.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Good story, but don't think it gets a passing grade. I think main byproducts are carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, and hydrocarbon particulates if I remember my organic chemistry from 5 decades ago. Might be why my home generator, couple of motor cycles, old 66 396 chev all pre catalyst do not drip any water ever.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Good story, but don't think it gets a passing grade. I think main byproducts are carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, and hydrocarbon particulates if I remember my organic chemistry from 5 decades ago. Might be why my home generator, couple of motor cycles, old 66 396 chev all pre catalyst do not drip any water ever.
So you're saying the water in the exhaust comes from... water sprites hiding
out in our exhaust systems being vaporized when we run our trucks? That's more
like it... sorry I got it wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
So you're saying the water in the exhaust comes from... water sprites hiding
out in our exhaust systems being vaporized when we run our trucks? That's more
like it... sorry I got it wrong.
Not Sprite, Mountain Dew.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Lol....no sprite or dew, catalytic converter, the precious metals in the converter when heated above 600F catalyze the gases(i.e. molecules swap some electrons) and make a new molecule. In this case water, it's the whole point of having converters on your vehicle. Try using google sometime, puts the whole world's knowledge at your fingertips.

·
Registered
813 Posts
And I always thought it was cross-contamination between the exhaust system and the blinker fluid -- aka the dreaded WDOD (water drip of death). ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Lol....no sprite or dew, catalytic converter, the precious metals in the converter when heated above 600F catalyze the gases(i.e. molecules swap some electrons) and make a new molecule. In this case water, it's the whole point of having converters on your vehicle. Try using google sometime, puts the whole world's knowledge at your fingertips.

That's very cute dude. I was a mechanic for 20 years before I got into
private contracting... my wife has been a RN for 43 years, and we both
agree that as soon as someone comes to us and says "I googled it" we
know they are ignorant (I came to a professional so I could tell
you how to do your job). We all know that when you "Google" something,
you only accept the responses you want to believe... the rest are a
bunch of BS. Believe what you want... a by product of combustion is
water vapor that condenses on cool surfaces.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Correct, a minute quanity of water is produced, but the amount produced from exhaust gases going thru catalytic converter is a multiple of 20-30 times that. If your parked slightly uphill sometimes you'll see 1/2 cup or more of water come out your exhaust after just idleing for 5-10 minutes. It's a shame you don't utilize Google as a resource more, it's up to the individual to sort thru the rubbish, kinda like common sense, if you read 99 tech papers that say one thing all from distinguished sources and one paper from a source in Somalia that starts with "I'm a billionaire prince and need your help to get my money" then you can be pretty confident which to believe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts