Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my 98 frontier 2.4l started overheated after adding coolent numerous times.. So I parked it to change he oil and there was water in it.. So I stopped driving it and it's taken apart now.. Turns out my timing chain wedge broke and went into my water pump!! Has this happens to any1 else?? Any tips on making my motor better and faster b4 I put it back together??

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Turns out my timing chain wedge broke and went into my water pump!! Has this happens to any1 else??
not sure i follow your problem here.

do you mean the timing chain guides broke allowing the chain to eat a hole in the timing cover? otherwise its not a common thing for your coolant to find its way into the oil unless you have a head gasket issue.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I'd suggest that you wonder over the the 240sz forums and see what they are doing to the KA24 to make it faster. Just remember thou, you are a truck and not a car so you can't just go for peak hp, you need tq for towing/hauling around stuff.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts

do you mean the timing chain guides broke allowing the chain to eat a hole in the timing cover? otherwise its not a common thing for your coolant to find its way into the oil unless you have a head gasket issue.
Same question here, I was thinking head gasket also.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like a head gasket to me also. I hope not!

There should have been antifreeze in it instead of just water. I'd think the antifreeze and oil mixture would make it look rather muddy instead of watery???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Yaa what caused that was the water pump getting clogged or broke.. Im still taking the head off and resurfacing it or buying a new one depends if it was warped.. Stupid alluminum parts..

Sounds like a head gasket to me also. I hope not!

There should have been antifreeze in it instead of just water. I'd think the antifreeze and oil mixture would make it look rather muddy instead of watery???
It was a mix of water and antifreeze. Ran out of anti trying to make it home so threw some water in it and made it back without it overheating too bad.. But the oil was a nasty milky brown..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts