Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. This morning, I'm going to head out to wash and wax my new baby. I purchased some wax that is especially for dark to black vehicles because she's Super Black and there are a couple of light scratches I wanted to see if I could buff out.

My question is - I have some non concentrate Dawn soap that I wanted to use on her first. Do you guys think this is ok? I didn't buy any car soap yet because I thought the dawn would be better the first wash to get rid of the nasties.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
I don't use dish soap on my vehicles.

"A common question is: can you wash your car with dish soap? If you think about what dish soap is made for like removing grease and caked-on food then you'll understand why it's not good for your car. While it does a good job, it's good because it's considered an abrasive soap. But, when you use an abrasive soap on something like car paint, it accelerates the oxidation process and gives the car a dull look.*Dish soap will also break down a car's wax coat and can be tough on rubber.
https://www.meineke.com/blog/can-use-dish-soap-wash-car/

"Don't... use household cleaning agents like hand soap, dishwashing detergent, or glass cleaner on the paint. These aren't formulated for use on a car's paint and may strip off the protective wax."
How to Wash Your Car - Consumer Reports

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So glad I asked!!! Is there a wash you recommend?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only use Meguiar's on my vehicles.
That's what I was gonna pick up this morning. Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I use saltwater from the coast, with a little sand tossed in the bucket for the added cleaning power
or
water from my battery, either one works well

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like spending hours washing and detailing my truck. The attached photo is all you need :)
Nice!! I see our trucks are related. Pro4x ftw!

·
Super Moderator
10,767 Posts
Reactions: Drumminchick

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey there, yeah for sure. I will admit, it can be a PITA washing and detailing the top but well worth it.
I have to say this is my first time on this truck and it's not too bad. Helps that it was in like new condition when I bought it.

·
Premium Member
5,598 Posts
Dish washing soap will remove the wax. I use it before I clay a vehicle. Then only regular car washing soap.
I swear by Zaino Brother's product.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I use Turtle Wax Zip Wax Wash on mine. Use the Ice spray wax every other time or so I wash her, then I full wax her with NuFinish once a year.

Thinking of something different for this year's wax though. NuFinish doesn't maintain the coating it used too it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here she is after the detailing yesterday... No filter on this picture.

Attachments

Reactions: MidTennMtneer

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Please come to Flagler County, Florida and wash my truck. I'll buy the pizza and beer.

::grin::::grin::::grin::::grin::
Haha! And buy the plane ticket and pay for my missed wages. ;)

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I ran a detail shop at an auto auction as a kid and it's stuck with me since. I detail my truck and family vehicles twice per year and wash it a few times/month due to being around saltwater. I use Mequiars and Chemical Guys stuff.

You may consider trying Ceramic coating (I used CarPro CQuartz UK 50 ml Kit w/ Reload) which I applied last summer and pretty impressed. Professionally done, expect to pay for it (mostly the prep work). It's basically like an add on clear coat.

There are a ton of YouTube vids on it. You won't need to wash it as much and can just spray wash, dry and use spray detailer for some gloss. I'm testing it to see if it does last the 2-3 years it claims. I pour water on the hood and fenders and it just sheets right off.

Your truck looks great.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I ran a detail shop at an auto auction as a kid and it's stuck with me since. I detail my truck and family vehicles twice per year and wash it a few times/month due to being around saltwater. I use Mequiars and Chemical Guys stuff.

You may consider trying Ceramic coating (I used CarPro CQuartz UK 50 ml Kit w/ Reload) which I applied last summer and pretty impressed. Professionally done, expect to pay for it (mostly the prep work). It's basically like an add on clear coat.

There are a ton of YouTube vids on it. You won't need to wash it as much and can just spray wash, dry and use spray detailer for some gloss. I'm testing it to see if it does last the 2-3 years it claims. I pour water on the hood and fenders and it just sheets right off.

Your truck looks great.
Hey maybe you can help me because I tried everything. I have several scratches from tree limbs from offroading on one side of the truck. I tried everything from buffing to scratch x, etc, and while improved, you can still see the lines in the clear coat paint. Am I pretty much SOL?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Your truck looks great.
Thanks, Boomer! I worked hard on it. I don't have a buffer or anything... so I did it all by hand. I am pleased, although I like the idea of the ceramic treatment. How much is that kit?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts