Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent the truck in to get the horn button looked at as its sometimes hard to operate the horn . I had replaced the horn withan airhorn on a relay and they have replied with this

The button on the horn is working at thepresent. If vehicle is fitted with aftermarket accessories i.e.; your horn,warranty for that component is voided (as no longer factory standard) and forany system that it affects. So if the horn is affecting the button (or thecircuit), we cannot cover under warranty per the warranty conditions as statedin the warranty section service book.

so be careful if you havee put any extra bits on ya truck. I will fight this one as its totally unrelated the horn press vs the aftermarket horn.

Am seriously thinking this lemon is way past its used by dated !

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
:thatswck:

My horn button doesn't work well either ( I substitute my finger :thebirdman:) and I just went out of warranty 10 days ago so maybe I should save my finger and get a good air horn?

What kind of horn do you have Aussie?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought one of the Stebel ( I think thats the name) Compact Air horns and put it and its relay in the place of the factory unit.
Mi9ght replace it though with maybe a train Horn so people get out of the way lol

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
frontire has a trainhorn, you definitly need 2 horns. I could see every cop in a 1/4 mile pulling you over hitting that thing on the street. I would of course use it instead of the finger, gets ya shot in Texas

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would argue that it is their responsibility to ensure that everything is working up to the point the factory part is substituted. That includes wiring to the original plug where the factory horn is/was located.

They are within their rights to say that the horn itself is your problem, but that's pretty much all in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I agree totally but in this case its you haave to hit the right spot to get any horn to work. I just dont like the idea of thumping an explosive air bag to abuse someone lol.
I spoke with a few others and they find their similar so maybe its just the design.
The horn itself is a new air horn unit thats relay driven so even less current draw on the factory wiring.
I just got hold of a second horn from a mate so when i get home I will wire it in as well so there will be the the higher pitched Nautilus Horns on the left and the lower frequency Nautilus Horns on the right.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's crazy isn't it - that you have to press the horn pad in just the right spot....

I have to say - I think the horn on the Nav's is pretty ordinary. But I jsut can't be bothered changing it out for something else :) Would cut into my camping/4wding/hunting time!

Slightly different tangent for you Aussie - have been out in the scrub a fair bit over the last few weeks. Haven't had any more problems with that ABS sensor (thankfully), and the ute has been running like a dream. Been getting pretty muddy though. Interesting design on some of the tub supports etc - they REALLY collect mud. Just lands on some of the supports and can't fall off. Similarly the rear mudflaps - they collect mud like you wouldn't believe!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there is also a brace that runs under the bed floor that goes from the left to right and looks like a channel. I have no I dea why but it fills up with crap. Its the one near the fuel filler neck

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dont forget we are talking Aussie dealerships and Nissan is getten a megga bad name in Aus at the monent

·
Registered
91 Posts
my horn sounds like it should be on a scooter not a 2 tonne truck, i will replace it with some aftermarket ones soon

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I sent the truck in to get the horn button looked at as its sometimes hard to operate the horn . I had replaced the horn withan airhorn on a relay and they have replied with this

The button on the horn is working at thepresent. If vehicle is fitted with aftermarket accessories i.e.; your horn,warranty for that component is voided (as no longer factory standard) and forany system that it affects. So if the horn is affecting the button (or thecircuit), we cannot cover under warranty per the warranty conditions as statedin the warranty section service book.

so be careful if you havee put any extra bits on ya truck. I will fight this one as its totally unrelated the horn press vs the aftermarket horn.

Am seriously thinking this lemon is way past its used by dated !
Sound like weasels to me. The typical "our mechinic couldn't reproduce the problem" response. Then to say the second part. It's up to them to locate the problem not play "what if". If you brought it in and they said, yes the button is bad, but we're reading a higher current being pulled through the circuit than what is allowed and it IS caused by your modification; then, they could refuse. I HATE the way service departments behave; I abandoned the local Chevy dealership and my Nissan dealership is not far behind. Fortunately, I have a local shop where I DO trust their work; they're just as expensive as a dealer (most of the time), but I think they do honest work. Good Luck!

:thatswck:

My horn button doesn't work well either ( I substitute my finger :thebirdman:) and I just went out of warranty 10 days ago so maybe I should save my finger and get a good air horn?

What kind of horn do you have Aussie?
Do you wear a ring on any finger? Do you polish your finger nails? Do you cut your fingernails? If you answer YES to any of these questions, I'm sorry but YOUR HAND IS NO LONGER UNDER WARRANTY!

BTW, in VA, hand gestures to other driver's is categorized and punished as "road rage".

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I now have the truck model of the Nautilus Air Horn .
I dare say that if push came to shove then it would be mulitmeters at 10 paces but this dealership is pretty kool so tis all ok

1 - 13 of 13 Posts