Hello Guys,

I hope ya"all are well.

I washed my wife's new black 2010 SL AWD Murano for

the first time 2 weeks after we got it because it was

raining every other day it seemed. Our cars are garage

kept and she uses her Murano 4 TIMES A WEEK 150 miles

and there are what look like white

spots on the whole car roof and rear hatch and rear glass area mainly,

but there are spots randomly all over the car.

It looks like some one sprayed it from above with something the spots look to be threw the clear coat and down to primer.

When you take your finger or finger nail to a spot it does not catch on the spot it is smooth.

I tried some paste wax on one spot after I washed it and could not get the spot to go away

Dealer says its from someone in front of me who used their wipers and the spray from whatever they were using for washer fluid is on the car. But there are no spots on my hood or anywhere on the front above my wind shield.

Can some one point me in the warranty information about paint warranty.

I think the paint is 1yr warranty, but would like to actually see it in writing for my self Please, if you could be so helpful.

Dealer says he is doing me favor by buffing out the car, but he wants me to sign a disclaimer that they will not offer to stand behind their buff job.

I had a professional friend look at the car, who owns Colors on Parade Franchise who fixes new cars with just this kind of damage for several local car dealers, he says
it is RAIL DUST from being shipped on a train.

He says it will buff out and may have to use claybar.

The Murano's are being made in Japan I am told but need to find out if they are shipped by TRAIN from factory to the port where they are loaded on a ship.

I am stopping this morning on my way to the dealer to seek 3rd party quote by local big auto body shop for their opinion on what it is and how to fix it.

I told them I think we need to call my area NISSAN rep for a chat.

Thank you for your help much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
According to my owners warranty manual, Nissan does not cover Environmental pollution or conditions, including acid rain, hail or lightning. Vehicle neglect or abuse. Accidents, collisions, alterations. Stone chips, scratches, or other paint damage that leads to surface rust. Cleaning and polishing agents, chemicals, solvents and improper undercoating or other rust prevention materials. They won't cover soot, bird droppings, tree sap, metal particles or bugs either. My suggestion to you is to fight it as long and hard as possible. I owned my truck 4 months and only had 500 miles on it. First wash I noticed a spot on my hood that was eaten through the paint. Took it back and said WTF is this, they said is was bird crap, I said it was BS. I said, how do I know you didn't doctor it up when it was on the lot. They offered to reshoot it, cost me 100.00 , actual price was 375.00 to 500.00 , depending on who shot the paint, outside of Nissan. Nissan's cost was 512.38 . Sometimes compromise is your only answer. Lotsa luck guy, hope it works out.

#3 ·
Try buying some high quality (make sure it doesn't hurt the clear coat) tar remover and rub it was a soft cloth rag.

These spots can be potentially be some hard-to-get-off compound. It is hard to tell sometimes and blaming the paint job is generally a natural thing to do. All cars go through quality control before being placed on dealer lots and the factory painting is very accurate. Also, the paint on vehicles is really tough and can take a lot of punishment and variety of crap.

I had a lot of black dots that I thought were from some weird crap from a train or factory exhaust or something, but it ended up being simple tree sap that comes off with the right chemical and a good rub.

Lastly, I wouldn't get to perfectionist over the exterior of your vehicles (IMO). A lot of imperfections will occur from driving around (just by following someone you have tiny road grit constantly flying at you and creating tiny, microscopic chips in your clear coat), but most of them are not noticeable or paid attention to.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply's guys.

This car is only 3 weeks old, I found the problem the very first time I washed the car which was 2 weeks after we took delivery.

I would still appreciate some one pointing me to the paint warranty.

I know it does not cover bird crap and acid rain this is not anything I have seen in 35 years of buying new cars.

I had a chat with the dealer and they act as if they are going to do me a favor and want me to sign a release if I have them buff the car, they are not going to liable for swirl marks. I told them that if their so called professional detailer couldn't buff the car and not leave swirl marks he was not going to touch the car and under NO circumstance was I going to sign any such paper.

This just pissed me off more than I was, I called Nissan Consumer Affairs and started the process of meeting with my area rep.

The guy opening the claim could not believe how I was being treated and he would certainly not sign anything if he was in my place.

We also purchased the Extended Warranty GOLD PLUS for this car, so either the standard warranty should cover it or the extended, I do not see why the dealer will not help, its a Nissan problem.

#7 ·
DO NOT SIGN, any statement. Didn't you get a Warranty information booklet? You should have also got the supplemental warranty info booklet, which gives a State by State breakdown of the Lemon Law's in your State. Nissan say's they have a Lifetime replacement panel corrosion limited warranty. They will replace any sheet metal and repaint it, if it rusts through from the inside-out. Could find nothing on paint alone. I'm assuming it falls under the 3yr-36k mi warranty.

#6 ·
Demand a factory rep see the car before anyone touches the finish. Make him put in writing how it will be resolved. Personally I'd demand a replacement Murano. I wouldn't want a brand new repainted car.

Clint

#8 · (Edited)
Update #1

As mentioned I stopped at 2 other professional paint shops on my way to the dealer on 5/28/10

The first place said it did look like "rail dust" or something had spilled on it. He said that the cars are shrink wrapped before shipping but road dirt and any other dirt works it way under the shrink wrap acting like sand paper. This guy ask if I would mind if he tried something on an area to remove the spots. He washed the area with plain water and then used a product called "Fractal" Brand the product called "Total" on a white soft rag by hand and removed some of the spots in that area. He recommended not to let the dealer buff the car because I would not be happy with the results and he said why use a buffer when it comes off by hand. The product he used cost $45.00 for a quart at my local paint supply store. He said after using this product and then applying a pure carnuba wax I would be much happier than a buff job by Nissan Dealer's so called expert. So I am happy I found an answer to the problem.

So I stop at another professional paint shop just to get their opinion of the problem, this is the 3rd professional opinion I got. Yes looks like rail dust have you been around anyone welding, it looks like what ever it is, is burned threw the clear coat. Yes we can fix it but might need to repaint certain area's if need be.

So to recap 2 out of 3 could fix it with no problem the 3rd was way out in left field.

As mentioned I stopped at my local sh1tty dealer and they want me to sign release for as mentioned. I did not tell them that I had been to 3 professionals.

I told them I would let Nissan consumer affairs handle it.
As mentioned I started the process.

Did you know that after you start the original complaint you are then handed off to Nissans consumer relations which is in Ontario Canada?

This morning not more than 30 minutes ago I got a call from my advocate from Nissan and they say they are getting a very different story. She also told me I was BANNED from visiting my local dealership. I told her I have never raised my voice or made a seen and that yelling does not get things done. I asked who my local representive was and she said she could not give out that information, I said since when can I not know who my point of contact was for a warranty issue the dealer is unwilling to try to fix and this is Nissan's way to rectify consumers problems with their products I requested a meeting with my local Nissan rep or some who could get this problem fixed.

She said they were trying to come up with a solution and it would be after Tuesday the 8th before I received any more information how Nissan is going to fix my problem.

This really sucks, I will give Nissan till 6/8/10 and listen to their so called solution but I think a phone call to an attorney will be my next phone call after I receive their solution. By the way my next closet dealer is 26 mile one way. I tried to purchase this very Murano from this other dealer and they were 4K different then were we got the Murano. I told the dealer at the time that I wanted to get away from the other dealer because of crappy service and he said I was not the first to say this. But apparently he did not want my business either since he was not willing to make the same deal as where we got the car.

I have a feeling that Nissan is going to recommend me take the Murano to the dealer 26 miles away to have this issue fixed, This Just sucks!!!!

#13 ·
As mentioned I stopped at 2 other professional paint shops on my way to the dealer on 5/28/10

The first place said it did look like "rail dust" or something had spilled on it. He said that the cars are shrink wrapped before shipping but road dirt and any other dirt works it way under the shrink wrap acting like sand paper. This guy ask if I would mind if he tried something on an area to remove the spots. He washed the area with plain water and then used a product called "Fractal" Brand the product called "Total" on a white soft rag by hand and removed some of the spots in that area. He recommended not to let the dealer buff the car because I would not be happy with the results and he said why use a buffer when it comes off by hand. The product he used cost $45.00 for a quart at my local paint supply store. He said after using this product and then applying a pure carnuba wax I would be much happier than a buff job by Nissan Dealer's so called expert. So I am happy I found an answer to the problem.

So I stop at another professional paint shop just to get their opinion of the problem, this is the 3rd professional opinion I got. Yes looks like rail dust have you been around anyone welding, it looks like what ever it is, is burned threw the clear coat. Yes we can fix it but might need to repaint certain area's if need be.

So to recap 2 out of 3 could fix it with no problem the 3rd was way out in left field.

As mentioned I stopped at my local sh1tty dealer and they want me to sign release for as mentioned. I did not tell them that I had been to 3 professionals.

I told them I would let Nissan consumer affairs handle it.
As mentioned I started the process.

Did you know that after you start the original complaint you are then handed off to Nissans consumer relations which is in Ontario Canada?

This morning not more than 30 minutes ago I got a call from my advocate from Nissan and they say they are getting a very different story. She also told me I was BANNED from visiting my local dealership. I told her I have never raised my voice or made a seen and that yelling does not get things done. I asked who my local representive was and she said she could not give out that information, I said since when can I not know who my point of contact was for a warranty issue the dealer is unwilling to try to fix and this is Nissan's way to rectify consumers problems with their products I requested a meeting with my local Nissan rep or some who could get this problem fixed.

She said they were trying to come up with a solution and it would be after Tuesday the 8th before I received any more information how Nissan is going to fix my problem.

This really sucks, I will give Nissan till 6/8/10 and listen to their so called solution but I think a phone call to an attorney will be my next phone call after I receive their solution. By the way my next closet dealer is 26 mile one way. I tried to purchase this very Murano from this other dealer and they were 4K different then were we got the Murano. I told the dealer at the time that I wanted to get away from the other dealer because of crappy service and he said I was not the first to say this. But apparently he did not want my business either since he was not willing to make the same deal as where we got the car.

I have a feeling that Nissan is going to recommend me take the Murano to the dealer 26 miles away to have this issue fixed, This Just sucks!!!!
This is just a suggestion, if you've found an independent body shop that can fix the problem, and you said you have and were happy with the result's. Ask for a written estimate from this buisness to do the whole vehicle. Turn it in to Nissan, ask them to foot the bill. Otherwise, you might be in for a costly battle, filled with aggravation.

#10 ·
Update #2

Just called back to Nissans consumer relations which is in Ontario Canada?

I asked what they meant I was BANNED from my local dealership in trying to deal with this problem.

She said she was sorry for the misunderstanding and should have never used the word BANNED.

What she should have said was since this was now part of Nissan's consumer problem and it is out of the dealers hands and will be handled By NISSAN and not a dealer.

Well I asked how long she has been doing this she said for 6 years. I told her she should choose her words more carefully.

I recorded both the phone conversations this AM.

#14 ·
update #2

I just got back from my new dealer that is 38 miles one way, and meet with Nissans Area REP.

What a crock of shite!

This guys comes out my car is dirty and it is a black car, he came over to the car and says that's environmental. Nissan is not going to cover it. I said how can you make that determination with out seeing the car after it was cleaned.

He said he saw it, also have halo problem with this car it makes the car look like its an old car that's been in the sun and never waxed. I pointed to several areas on this dirty car,I asked him to please wash the car so that he could see what i was talking about.

This joker has a dry paper towel and goes to wipe off the hood, and I stopped him before he could touch it and said you never wipe a dirty dry car with an abrasive paper towel it will get scratched, I said wash the car so you can see the paint.

I would have had it spottless my self before taking it there but it would have gotten dirty from the 38 mile drive and we have ran showers in our area so it would have bee point less for me to wash the car.

I thought surely he would have had the car washed since I was now talking to a rep for Nissan at my second dealership with this problem.

He offered to pay one of my professionals to do the work if they said they could fix it. I said so what about the halo problem.

I said sure as I go an have an independant work on the car that Nissan surely would not stand behind the other paint problem I was having and they would try to blame the 3rd party that fixed one of the paint issues thatbthey created the other paint problems I was having with halos.

I told him that Nissan or one off their preferred vendors was going to fix the car.

This guy had his mind made up ever before he even looked at the car, He got reports of the area's water test results show there is high iron content in the water.

The area for his test results was for a completely different water system than mine since I live 20 miles from the dealer where we bought the car, and my water is very soft as if you have a water softner on our water, you have to watch what soap you use when getting a shower it can be hard to get the soap off.

The spots on our car are not water spots.

This guy had his mind made up before he ever left his office 5 hrs away.

What a waste of my time,so I placed a called back to my rep with consumer affairs and waiting to go on to the next step.

This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!:comphead:

I'll keep ya all posted on my progress.

#16 · (Edited)
Sc law regarding recording phone conversations.

Since ya all brought up the subject.

South Carolina No state statute South Carolina does not have a state statute on its books that regulates the interception of phone conversations. But, South Carolina case law indicates that when such issues arise in South Carolina courts, the courts will look to 18 U.S.C §2511. the federal statute on the interception and disclosure of wire communications. Under 18 U.S.C. §2511(2)(d), it is lawful to intercept a communication if one is a party to the communication or has received the prior consent of a party to the communication. See Mays v. Mays, 229 S.E.2d 725, 726-27 (S.C. 1976) (finding that 18 U.S.C. §2511(2)(d) "makes it clear that one party to a telephone conversation may lawfully tape the conversation without the other's knowledge or permission and subsequently disclose [the conversation]."); Thompson v. State , 479 S.E.2d 808, 810-11 (S.C. Ct. App. 1996) (finding that taped telephone conversations between defendant and confidential informant did not violate 18 U.S.C. §2511 and the defendants right to privacy).

#17 ·
I would try and force a buy-back. Find out what the lemon laws are in your area...

You can also file complaints with the BBB for the dealership and Nissan - not that it'll amount to much for you, but, some people DO look at that information before making a decision.

#18 ·
the first thing i would have done before even considering going to a third party is identify which solvents take the spots off the rear glass. i'd start light and go stronger until i found one that worked. lens cleaner, vinegar, dirtex, razor blade, CLR, kerosene, naptha, acetone, etc. if you don't already have these in your shop, try to borrow from a friend.

depending on what worked and with how much effort, i'd contemplate how i wanted to approach the painted surfaces. i'd be very surprised if you couldn't find something that worked. it's highly unlikely you encountered something that could micro-etch and discolor glass during your daily routine.

as for the halos, i can't say.

how noticeable is this stuff on a clean car?

#19 · (Edited)
Weps

Thanks for the reply.

If you read back a couple of my post you will see that 1 of my independents was able to remove the spots on the body by hand with very mild non grit buff compound called "Total".

Point is I found these spots on our car only after 2wks of us owning the car ,the very first time I washed it.

I should not have to work on a brand new $37K car!!

The halos can be taken out with the same compound as the spots and it would not be a buff job. The entire car needs to be done then pure carnnuba wax applied.

Even if Nissan was to do this the very least I will accept is they stand behind the paint for the life time that I own it!! Not the 3 year rust through warranty the paint specifCALLY!!

If they will not do the above they can give me new car under the lemon laws!!!

I had simalair fight with GM years ago, hired an attorney. First and last ever GM I've owned!!!!

I drove that car for 3 years,never made more than 1 250.00 payment to GM. I put 60 K on that car after 3 years I got all the money I was paying to esqroe account until resolution which never happened back!!!!!!
So after 3 years 60k 250 bucks walked into dealer dropped keys on the desk walked out cheapest new car I ever had!!

I have never had to fight with Nissan to remedy any of the problems to date, I have had to get reps involved to solve problems. But I lived in a different state then with different dealers.

I will post some pics of the spots the first a$$hat dealer tried to fix soon.

#20 · (Edited)
Pics of area first dealer did to fix spots.

All the pics are taken in my garage under flourecent lighting.

The area the idots tried to repair was not even the area where most of the "rail dust" is

I took pics with different lighting, lights on ,lights off, doors open, flash on camera on,flash off.

To try and capture under the damage done by dealer so called professional body person.

First problem they never washed the car.

Then took dry rag and wiped the area.

Then they took a buffer to the area, as you can see they took the buffer on edge and went up & down on the body panel.

YOU NEVER GO UP AND DOWN WHEN BUFFING, you go side to side horizontally!!

You can see how much they scratched that area.

You can also see some of the "Halo's".

'

#21 ·
All the pics are taken in my garage under flourecent lighting.

I took pics with different lighting, lights on ,lights off, doors open, flash on camera on,flash off.

To try and capture under the damage done by dealer so called professional body person.

First problem they never washed the car.

Then took dry rag and wiped the area.

Then they took a buffer to the area, as you can see they took the buffer on edge and went up & down on the body panel.

YOU NEVER GO UP AND DOWN WHEN BUFFING, you go side to side horizontally!!

You can see how much they scratched that area.

You can also see some of the "Halo's".

'

I would have trusted 2 gorillas with grinders to do a better job than what you got. Sorry for your troubles, but you should have went the independent route, and had Nissan reimburse you.

#24 ·
yea. you shouldn't have to work on a brand new car. and maybe that's where i could learn a thing or two from you. i'd likely have so little faith the dealer would do the job correctly, that i'd just want to eliminate them from the process - even if it means more work or expense for me.

until you, i didn't even know nissan had reps that could be called in! so i'll definitely be watching to see how this turns out. the ONE dealer within an hour of me doesn't have the best reputation and i'm already concerned about service. hopefully, i'll never have to go through anything similar to you. at least i'll know there are options though. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.