Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Warranty Extension Debate

5K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  basketcase 
#1 ·
I bought my 2010 PRO-4X in June of 2010. My warranty expires in a few months. That truck has been great for the most part. I've continued to deal with stinky air issues which appear to be the result of mold growing in my system for reasons unknown. Dealer speculates that my low mileage and usage is the problem. All I know, is it's still a problem. Initially I had some A/C problems also. Those seem to have passed. I have 20k miles on my truck (+/- 200 miles.) I think part of me thinks the extended warranty is a waste of money. Wanted to see what people have experienced with their trucks post factory warranty.

Extended Warranty Info: $2500 for 6 years of coverage (aka $35/month). This covers, engine, transmission, transfer unit of 4X4, drive axle assembly, font and rear suspension, steering, air conditioning unit, electronics, seals, gaskets, brake system, electrical system plus "most mechanical parts". This excludes normal wear and tear...ie brake pads, oil changes, tires etc.

$2500 is cheap in the long haul (just over $1 a day) but almost 10% of the value of the vehicle. Thoughts?

#29 ·
At one time, extended warranties and insurance policies were only offered to cover expenses that the average person couldn't possibly afford to cover by him/herself - Things like your house burning down, the death of a wage earner, an illness that required a lot of expensive medical treatment, crop failure, major structural defects in a home, etc.

Most folks understood that the policy underwriter made money on the deal, but that it was still better than being bankrupted by a major catastrophe.

Nowadays, policies are offered for thousands of things that the average person could easily afford to cover him/self - or at least pay off over a few months on a credit card.

We have forgotten the real purpose of insurance.

#30 ·
When I bought a new frontier, the salesman recommended me an extended warranty of 2400. I didn’t want to buy it but I was embarrassed to refuse, so I dealt with him at a low price. In the end, it dropped to 650, but I didn’t buy it. I was surprised at the profit of the extended warranty How big is it! Even if it sells 650, he still has a profit.

#32 ·
In a similar place with no more miles than you have on it, I’d likely keep the vehicle.

An ozone generator can help take care of the mold issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.