Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Check the seal on your TBS

the sealing gasket ( o-ring) in my Airaid poweraid TBS has melted, I am told this is normal.What do you guys think of this?

Do i need to worry about this.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
wow. really? has anyone else with the Airaid TBS experienced this? you're the first person that's mentioned this and quite a few people have the TBS.

perhaps it is a defect.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am the 3rd person i have heard of with this issue. this not only caused an air leak, i am told it could also foul up the variable intake valve and cause warranty issues.

i wonder how airaid will respond to this problem

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Well, looks like you beat me to the punch! I was just going to post an alert to warn fellow members of this potential problem!

Anyway, this was brought up on another forum a while ago, but didn't get much attention. But, I have confirmed three instances where the O-ring supplied with the PorweAid TBS sold by AirAid has failed (i.e. melted).

I strongly urge all members who have a PowerAid TBS installed on their truck to check to see if you are experiencing the same problem. The easiest way to tell is to disconnect the air tube from the front of the Throttle Body, push the Butterfly Valve up slightly and look at the leading edge of the TBS. If you see a black residue on the TBS, there's a 99.9% chance your O-ring is melted!

I'll be pulling mine from my truck this evening and snapping a few pics to document what is happening. I'll forward them to AirAid Technical support to see what they intend to do about it. Will keep everyone posted. I have also sent an e-mail to David @ Premier Truck Accessories to let him know there is a potential problem as well.

From what I can deduce, the O-ring probably does not have the proper temp rating. I have noticed the Throttle Body gets quite hot when the engine is at normal operating temps, and obviously this temp is higher than the rating of the supplied O-ring.

So, please check your TBS and contact AirAid if you are experiencing the same problem. Also, post here so we all know how wide spread this may be, or if it may just be isolated to a certain lot. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
That doesn't sound good! I would be worrying if some of the O-ring material got into the engine and want problems that could create?

I'd been thinking about ordering one, glad I didn't!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'll be popping mine off tonight when I get home. If anything appears out of the ordinary, I'll post up some pictures.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Nismo54 said:
That doesn't sound good! I would be worrying if some of the O-ring material got into the engine and want problems that could create?

I like what it does for performance, but I agree it would be best to hold off till this issue is resolved!

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
I just went out to the parking lot at my work to look at mine. Sure enough it looked like it has melted! :evil: There are little shards of rubber coming from in between the TBS and the Throttlebody(where the gasket is) so I'm guessing it is melted :x . Needless to say this will be coming off the truck the second I get a chance!! I will try to take pictures as well, if I remember.

This is unfortunate for Airaid because it is definatly a potential lawsuit if you ask me. I personally would be happy with just a replacement gasket and a lot of cash :lol: ! This also ruins their reputation quite a bit. Well, we'll have to see what happens. In the meanwhile, my Poweraid will be removed from my truck until further notice!! :cry:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nismo54 said:

I will see how good their customer service is and drive without the TBS untill the
problem is solved

if i notice a butt dyno power loss i will let you know about it too.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I am glad I didn't ordered mine yet, I was contemplating on getting it before the CAI and exhaust 8O

this is just a shame.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
My past experience with AirAid Customer Service has been very positive, so I feel pretty confident they will address and correct this pretty quickly! Once you know it's been fixed, I wouldn't hesitate getting one, the performance improvement is truely worth it!

Plus, we don't know how wide spread this is yet. So far there are only four confirmed problems, so it may have been a problem with the supplier providing the O-rings to AirAid! Everyone makes mistakes, don't condenm them yet! :wink:

·
Registered
189 Posts
StormNISMO said:
This is unfortunate for Airaid because it is definatly a potential lawsuit if you ask me. I personally would be happy with just a replacement gasket and a lot of cash :lol: !
I think everyone needs to settle down. Gaskets and o-ringsmelt sometimes. You don't see guys with blown headgaskets or leaky exhaust gaskets suing companies for making defective products. It is just a rubber o-ring. It will cause zero and I mean zero damage to your engine if a few little pieces of rubber go into the combustion chamber and get melted to sitherines. If you still want to run the Airaid product in the mean time I would recommend trying a good quality high temp RTV solution instead of a rubber o-ring.

·
Registered
115 Posts
well I didn't have time to completely remove the TBS but I was able to take a picture. this is what the inside of mine looks like. I wiped it out and it just appears to be some type of oil / grease residue.

:?:

http://clubfrontier.org/files/dscn1144.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
KingTut said:
I think everyone needs to settle down. Gaskets and o-ringsmelt sometimes. You don't see guys with blown headgaskets or leaky exhaust gaskets suing companies for making defective products. It is just a rubber o-ring. It will cause zero and I mean zero damage to your engine if a few little pieces of rubber go into the combustion chamber and get melted to sitherines. If you still want to run the Airaid product in the mean time I would recommend trying a good quality high temp RTV solution instead of a rubber o-ring.

Sorry King tut but i feel you are mistaken on a few points you have raised.
ANY product sold should be tested before it is shipped, and the oring you say causes 0
problems can cause huge ones. an airleak behind the throttlebody can cause a VERY
lean mixture and destroy an engine. if bits of it coat the variable valve unit it can
malfunction as well. there is a Groove for the oring mount so rtv solution isn't the
answer. An o-ring spec'd to withstand the engine temperature is, and i expect
airaid will send out proper orings to fix the problem as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
darren05,

How long have you had your TBS on your truck? I suspect you are experiencing the same thing, but maybe just early stages of it! I'll take pics of mine tonight, but when I checked it a week ago, it was quite black! I'll post pics later after I have it off the truck.

·
Registered
189 Posts
RDNF said:
Sorry King tut but i feel you are mistaken on a few points you have raised.
ANY product sold should be tested before it is shipped, and the oring you say causes 0
problems can cause huge ones. an airleak behind the throttlebody can cause a VERY
lean mixture and destroy an engine. if bits of it coat the variable valve unit it can
malfunction as well. there is a Groove for the oring mount so rtv solution isn't the
answer. An o-ring spec'd to withstand the engine temperature is, and i expect
airaid will send out proper orings to fix the problem as soon as possible.
So your telling me you SERIOUSLY think they didn't do any testing? As for your first point what if the OEM throttle body gasket happened to fail one day? Would you say that Nissan didn't do any testing on it? Would it not cause the same issues? Besides how would air leaking as in escaping cause an engine to run lean??? The MAF has already read the air flow if it is a little lower it will only run a little richer and I assure you a little throttle body leak will not blow your motor. RTV can be used in the groove or before and after the groove on a flat surface to seal it until you get a new O ring was my point. You guys make it sound like your going to pull it off and the whole O ring will be missing which isn't the case. I'm not defending Airaid, just making sure you guys don't all freak out and try and start some class action law suit or something.

·
Registered
115 Posts
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
darren05,
How long have you had your TBS on your truck?
about 3 months

·
Registered
189 Posts
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
darren05,

How long have you had your TBS on your truck? I suspect you are experiencing the same thing, but maybe just early stages of it! I'll take pics of mine tonight, but when I checked it a week ago, it was quite black! I'll post pics later after I have it off the truck.
I haven't investigated the Frontier intake system but if it is just like the 350Z then there is a crankcase breather hose that attaches to the bottom of the intake which is used to create a vacuum on the crankcase and can allow some oil to get into the intake tract and make your throttle body and such appear black/oily.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts