Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I am very picky about what accessories I put on my vehicles(quality,function,looks,lack of drilling,etc)
I was afraid of an Ebay grille,so I searched around for other options...

I got a grille set,upper and lower(bumper)from an anonymous online store.Made by Carriage Works,who seemed to have a good reputation in the hot rod scene,etc.for billet grilles.I am still waiting to hear back about returning this item.I hope this goes good as I am very unhappy with this product. :x I am only posting this to save anyone from making the same mistake I did.I hope this company will fix their issues with thes parts as they look very nice on our trucks.IMO 8)

This was what I got,for just over 200 dollars....
-ALL 4 pieces were individually wrapped in saran wrap, and put in an unpadded box.Therefore ALL 4 pieces had bent bars on them,that took CAREFUL bending to get straight.It must bounced around in the box during shipping...Bubble wrap would have worked great.Saran wrap does nothing.

-Hardware was loose in the box with the bumper grille,some missing.
-Hardware to upper grilles was WRONG they sent another set like the bumper grille comes with,instead of the toggle bolts that the instructions list. :?: This helped since the lower was missing stuff :!:

O.K .so now,after repairs I went on to installing the lower grille...sorta bad design...There are L-brackets and screws and cilps.You have to drill your new truck( uncool ). :arrow: All of this could be avoided...the vertical bars(on the back of the grille) could be lined up with the ones in the opening and black zipties would work excellent.They are close,but not close enough (1") away.It's like they never looked at the truck before they made the jig or whatever.They just made it to fit the hole and then tried to figure out a way to rig it with brackets and stuff. On the positive side,after installation it looks geat and fits very nice,despite poor design.

Next was the 3 grilles up top...

Since there were no toggles included,and that seems like a bad and ugly,cheesy way to mount the grilles,I decided to try black zipties.I didn't want to try to find hardware to work,or wait for reply from the warranty dept.
Same thing as lower insert...Our factory grille is diamond shaped holes,so by lining up the vertical bars with the "intersections" would make zipties work great,also.They are also cose but not close enough to work very good.I was able to get the center one to attach securely,but the side ones are not good.Again,if the bars were moved sliightly,it would work great.Anyone could see this in 5 seconds by holding the grille up to the truck.I don't get it 8O Maybe they were in a hurry to get it to market before others.

Overall, it looked OK I guess,but I will be retuning if possible,and getting something else when there are more choices available. I really like the No logo look it has. I also want protection for my radiator,etc.so I am thinking of just keeping the lower grille,since they are sold seperately,and the holes are drilled now.It also fits very good.

Hope to contact Carriage Works with friendly advice about this product.

Until then YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
I will post updates as they occur,and I'll add pics soon.

[/img]

Here is a pic...It does look good...this is with zipties holding it on.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Nismo4me,

I am sorry to hear of your bad experience with the Carriage Works grill. I too ordered
the upper 3 piece and the lower bumper grill from a vendor I found on the internet. I
received both items within 2 days.

They did in fact come wrapped in saran wrap, but mine were all in excellent condition.
Mine had all of the toggle bolts, etc included in a plastic bag. The vendor did ship the
wide mouth bumper grill, but sent me a call tag to return it for free. The LE KC uses the narrower of the two.

Two days later I received the replacement in excellent condition once again.

It took me about 1 1/2 hours to install all 4 pieces. The only complaints I have are
that the instructions are not as clear as they could be and the anchors on the toggle
bolts should be about 1/2" longer in order to straddle the honeycomb part of the
stock grill better. The toggle bolts do hold the grill firmly I would feel better if they were
just a little longer. It may never fail as it is, but I worry a lot about what might happen.

I may just go to Ace and see if they have a longer anchor available.

I love the look of the Carriage Works grill and they are fairly sturdy pieces. The shipping
company must have been very rough on them to have bent them. My replacement
grill came with a footprint on the box, but still no damage.

I have not seen the attachment pieces for any of the other grills, but unless they are superior to the CW's grill I would still buy it again if I had it to do over.

Did your boxes have any visible damage when delivered. If they did you should have
had the driver notate the bill. If it was hidden damage you will probably have to go
through the dealer you ordered from. My shipping invoice said to contact them in case of any problems. Good luck and let us know how you come out on this.

I contacted Walt at Carriage Works about my concerns and if he emails me back I'll
pass it on.

Gerald

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the exact experience as Okie. No real issues and fast delivery.

The bottom grill probably could fit better depth wise, but once secured does look great. I had one slightly bent bar on the upper center piece but no biggie. My grills arrived loose in saran wrap and double boxed. They certainly could use foam packing.

I have no experience with any other billet grills but these ones do seem to be of nice quality. Overall, I'm pleased with the purchase.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the three piece and the lower grill installed as well, looks great no issues. Mine was packed the same and arrived with only minor bending. I am really please with the look of the product big improvement over the egg crate grill and huge logo.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also like the looks and the materials seem good and the zip ties are holding fine....I went to the hardware store to find toggles,but gave up since I dont have one to match up with it.

I have not heard back from the seller yet to see what my choices are.I may just keep them after all....maybe they will send the right stuff out. :wink:
Jay

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
toggle bolts

Nismo4me,

I am not very good at knowing sizes of bolts, screws, etc; but my toggle bolts are
3/8" in diameter by 1 1/2" long. They are black and they are phillips screws. The
anchor parts have about a 2" spread when they are secured. I think I would feel more
comfortable if they were about 1/2" longer for a better grip.

I hope that this helps you. I was also told by Walt to check the tension for the first week or so. I have had to tighten mine several times as they seat in.

Gerald

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE....Thanks for the info "okie"

This is an update...

Well,after thinking about it,I've decided to keep the grilles.Carriage works is sending me the proper hardware to attach it correctly.....Thanks for the info,okie
The seller great to deal with,fast response.They were prepared to pay return shipping and refund my money.I am impressed with their customer service,and would recommend them to anyone. www.truckxpressions.com

I will be happy with this grille,but I still think it is poorly designed,and Carriage Works should address this issue.A little adjustment to the design would make this a superior product.The materials and workmanship are outstanding.
Also softer packaging for this delicate product would be recommended.
Jay

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Nismo4me,

I am glad they are working with you on this. The grill looks great on your truck. I am
satisfied with mine except for the two things I mentioned in my earlier post.

OkieScot

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Ah, even most ebayers have some descency when it comes to shipping products out with some sort of protection, but hey... at least it looks good now!

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
loaizarayas said:
i got mine at ebay and its bolt-on and its excellent quality for $65 TOTAL
got some pics?......i was always weary of thsoe ebay grilles for that cheap but if urs are that good then i'll give it a shot...who'd u get it from on ebay?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
wait, so you complain about having to drill holes to mount it correctly but then you say you wanted to use sh&tty looking zip ties? zip ties are nothing more than a temp fix for anything. instead of bashing someone so quickly next time take a deep breath and at least try to let them fix the problem(missing parts). as far as drilling the holes i will assume they were drilled into the plastic faceure of the lower bumper where no one would see them. correct? as far as looks, they look fine to me.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Personally I would much rather using zip ties to hold the grill in as toggle bolts ,if they are same here as the US ,will end up eating their way through the plastic from the inside from vibrations.Toggle bolts as I see it are designed to be used on dry wall or gyprock as we call it.Using them to hold onto the ribs of the grill will just lead to the demise of that peice of grill. My idea of a good mod is one where if you remove it there are no signs of damaged cause by it .

·
Registered
347 Posts
Aussie Frontier said:
My idea of a good mod is one where if you remove it there are no signs of damaged cause by it .
Exactly my thoughts too.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I bought mine from a vendor on ebay named MRGRILLE. The shipping was fast and the price and quality was great. My only regret is its more of a brushed aluminum look as Id rather chrome.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
oh , I just got my grille in last week, but I was on vacation so I didn't get a chance to put it on, but from what I can see very high quality grille

1 - 20 of 21 Posts