Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea what could cause warm start issues.

Truck is a 2004 CC LB SC 4x4 171??? miles.

So when the engine is cold...the truck starts right up with zero lag or hesitation. After driving for a bit...and after a few pit stops. it seems like it takes longer to crank over. I dont usually drive far or stop and start up again, but i have experienced now twice since today, that when i park again and try to start the car it doesnt turn over and would not start. Ive read it could be the coolant temp sensor...Anyone with the same or similar issues.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So last time this happen i let it sit till morning and it started right up. Well i let it sit for about 5 hours and it still didnt turn over. Took the battery to AZ to check on that and they said that the battery was still good. So its not that.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I had similar issues with a Acura I used to own and it was a bad igniter. Old Chevy trucks I used to have occasionally had similar issues with the ignition modules going bad.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think its probably my starter. Had the wifey try to start the truck while i banged on the starter...truck didnt start i could here it click then white smoke came out so i shut it down and just ordered a new starter. Hopefully this will get her back in the road.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good luck, I recently did my starter and I never have cursed so much in my life to get to a starter. I hope the replacement starter lasts throughout the lifetime of my ownership of the truck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck, I recently did my starter and I never have cursed so much in my life to get to a starter. I hope the replacement starter lasts throughout the lifetime of my ownership of the truck.
Oh brother lol...what year and engine do you have...ive read the 2.4 is a pita.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I really have no pointers I'm not sure if I even went the right way about dropping and installing the starter to be honest. I watched a lot of youtube vids of people taking out their starter from their Frontiers and Xterras with ease or little difficulty. The only way I can get the starter to drop or go up that little gap these Nissan engineers left us was to use a pry bar to pry the old one down and pry'd the starter to go back up. I thought by having my whole passenger side suspension off, leaving just the axle that it'd be easy to swap out the starter. I was wrong. I attempted to take off the axle, but after taking off a few bolts to the axle, it seemed like it would be a pain trying to get the axle bolted back up to its proper torque settings. Once you get up in there, you'll figure something out that may be easier for you. Maybe I should have just dropped the axle?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive probably watched all the same youtube videos. From the videos they dont look bad but with my luck i’ll have the same issues as you. Im crossing my fingers i can get this in without to many issues. Guess i’ll just have to wait and see lol.

·
Registered
226 Posts
One thing I didn't even think about until now was maybe it'll be easier to move your powersteering pump out of the way and pull the starter out through that way instead? But yep, you'll just have to wait and see. Good luck buddy!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol. Appreciate all the help though. I watched a video of stevexnycperformance on youtube an he has a 4x4 as well. He shows how he did it so im hoping i can get it up there as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One thing I didn't even think about until now was maybe it'll be easier to move your powersteering pump out of the way and pull the starter out through that way instead? But yep, you'll just have to wait and see. Good luck buddy!
Well got her done today. Wasnt too bad getting the old out and new in to be honest. But my buddy is the one that did the maneuvering he’s got smaller hands lol. We actually had a harder time trying to get the right combo of extensions to get to the top bolt. Once in truck fired right up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts