Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i want to paint my stock nismo rims but i need some more input. I don't really like ALL black but I don't really like the ALL silver they are now... I have a white nismo with the grey roof rack so I was thinking that maybe a gunmetal would look cool but im not sure?? Black is another option...if anybody has pictures of their painted stock rims please post!! Gunmetal and not all black rims would b the best!! And yes i have searched the forums and found a few pictures but i kno this thread will bring more:))))) so post away!! thanks guys..

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
You ever see my factory painted rims?
The only thing I will tell you is pick a color you can touch up.
They will chip I don't care how well you prep or how many coats you use, or what kind of paint it is, it will eventually chip off, no ifs ands or buts about it.
Mine got to the point that I replaced them with aftermarket rims because the paint was coming off so much.

Factory SE rims painted:

Aftermarket MB Predators:

My advice would be powdercoat or let some Pros paint the rims and get a warranty/guarantee with the paint job.
Or just get some aftermarket wheels.
If I knew what I know now, I never would have painted my rims.

Just my opinion bases on my experiences, hope it helps.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea i was looking into powdercoating them but i figured painting them would b cheaper. However, if you say burnin' the extra cash is worth it than I will pay for them to be powdercoated. The only question is...what color? And when you powdercoat rims can u tape off parts of the rim or no???

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
gunmetal wheels look sexy on everything

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Yea i was looking into powdercoating them but i figured painting them would b cheaper. However, if you say burnin' the extra cash is worth it than I will pay for them to be powdercoated. The only question is...what color? And when you powdercoat rims can u tape off parts of the rim or no???
Hopefully some others will chime in on this.
I would have to believe powdercoat would hold up much better than paint, but have not powdercoated any rims myself so no experience there.

My experience with powdercoated metal parts (we have many parts where I work powdercoated) is you'd be looking at one solid color.

Like I said, hopefully some others with experience powdercoating rims will help answer your questions, all I know is paint didn't stay on my rims very well.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Of course you can mask out powdercoat just the same as spraypaint. Just heat proof tape is needed. my uncle owns a powdercoat shop and straight mask and coat are every day duties for them.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
another option for wheels is plasti-dip its a tool coating that is durable but also removable as well

write up from Dodgetalk.com poster 04hemigtx5.7

In order to plastidip your wheels, you will need 2 cans

The black top indicates black paint, red top=red, etc.

Now, this product so far has worked very well on alloy wheels as well as the plastic chrome clad wheels. I will be doing mine in chrome shortly and will update the post and let everyone know how the product holds up on them as well.

In my experiences, the sets of wheels i have done have not been ran in a car wash, but have been used with power washers with no problems.

Plastidip finishes in a flat black, and does not have much of a gloss, however, plastdip does make a clear coat plastip finish and if you would like glossy wheels, finish it off with that.

Now, the first set, the note card trick did not work, so we had to mask off the tire incase there was overspray. simply use tape and newspaper if you need. I did both sets of wheels with them on the truck so dont be nervous. Plastdip also dries rather quickly (similar to niteshades for those who have used vht's product) but can be taken off easily if there is a mistake. The plastidip even when sprayed thick will not run down the wheel so it isn't drippy, no worries.

Clean the wheels with soap and water, then use some laquer or paint thinner to get any finger prints off the wheels, let it dry, and begin masking..
Dont forget to shove newspaper inside the spots inbetween the wheels so you dont spray the plastdip on your calipers, brake pads, etc. Take off the center caps using a screwdriver if youd like to keep that fake chrome finish, and use masking/scotch tape to keep the chrome finish on your lug nuts.

Double check and make sure no water/laquer thinner built up on the bottom lip of the wheel, if it did, just use a paper towel and get it off.

At this point, (sorry that was so long, i just wanted to be thorough) you should look like this

Now youre ready for the fun part. Start sprayin!

Dont worry how your coats come out in the beginning, mistakes are VERY easy to cover up with this stuff.

Get different angles each time you spray, i sprayed each layer a few times to make one nice thick coat, i was about a foot away from the wheel each time i sprayed.

It dries rather quickly, I did each coat 5-10 minutes after each other, and i waited 30 minutes to take out the newspaper and put in the center caps and remove the notecards. To the touch, it seems dry. I'd wait another 2 hours before doing anything but if you're in a bind, you can drive off the way it is, my one friend did and said nothing was effected.

Here are some shots, it REALLY changes the whole look of the truck

DO NOT BE HESITANT. This was only $20 and was VERY easy to do. I was very excited to see the looks on my buddies faces after i finished both of their trucks. Here are some after pictures

·
Registered
268 Posts
Have u seen my custom painted wheels? Take a look at them for influence incase u haven't already.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the same MB wheels as you Todd and they work/look great. However I think I am going to be powdercoating them soon, not sure what im getting into though.
Does anyone know about how much should I expect to pay?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Don't spray paint your rims with rattle cans. I did on my first frontier and it looked good. I spent an entire Saturday sanding them and then I put multiple coats of black paint and clear coat. Then, after a while they chip like crazy and if you ever rotate your tires then you will have paint missing where your lug nuts are. I think your better off leaving them as is, but powder coated could be an option.

·
Registered
370 Posts
From my experience when I worked in a powdercoating shop, multi-colored projects don't usually turn out well. There is usually some bleeding in color wherever the colors meet because the powder has a habit of getting absolutely everywhere, even underneath tape. If you are anything like me and are going to go insane every time you look at those spots on the rim where things went wrong, I would suggest you go one solid color. It would also depend on the complexity of the design pattern you would want on the rim.

I have the same MB wheels as you Todd and they work/look great. However I think I am going to be powdercoating them soon, not sure what im getting into though.
Does anyone know about how much should I expect to pay?
the place I used to work at charged between $60-$100 per wheel depending on wheel size

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm actually really interested in trying the Plasti-Dip on my wheels, from what I've found online about it, it turns out really good and will protect the rims at the same time without damaging them at all and is completely reversible. Just got myself another weekend project that I'll try out on my spare first to see how it comes out in person.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Painted mine with spray bombs. The paint is actually sticking VERY well, im actually kinda surprised. The only loss of paint I have is from where I scratched them while working on my truck, ie: crappy rachet = busted up knuckles, and slamming into the rim with the rachet. But I don't care cause I can touch them up with little effort.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i know everyone is anti rattle can here but.....

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/stealhed-my-wheels-59777/index2.html

i did mine a while ago and they are still 100% (more pics on page 2). i used duplicolor bedliner and it is great. (haven't had to yet) but touch up is a breeze with this stuff.

i have also heard if you scratch the powdercoat there is no touching up. something to think about if you offroad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts