Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm working on upgrading my front lighting to LED and I want to run switchbacks for turn signals. In other words, constant white with running lights and flash to amber with turn signal flasher. I found the bulbs that fit our 3456 application that do exactly that all over eBay and Amazon.

From what I understand about switchbacks is they only work for a multi function turn signal where it is parking/daytime running lights with one filament and flashes turn signal with the second additional filament? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Only problem is our trucks use one bulb dedicated specifically for turn signal, not a multi function bulb.

So I know I'll have to change up the wiring to tap an additional wire off the parking/daytime running lights and run it into the turn signal harness.

Can I make this work with just splicing in an extra wire? Im doubtful because isn't the turn signal only a two wire plug - flashed hot and ground, meaning I'd have nowhere to put the constant hot running from the parking lights and still be able to run a separate hot flashing turn signal wire?

Any ideas? Thanks

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not possible by just splicing in an additional wire. Like you stated The socket would need a third point of contact to the bulb. Normal bulbs will have two points of contact in a socket. - Common and + Signal voltage. Having a second filament you would need another contact point.

You could replace the socket with a socket from ebay or amazon that would accommodate the bulb type

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not possible by just splicing in an additional wire. Like you stated The socket would need a third point of contact to the bulb. Normal bulbs will have two points of contact in a socket. - Common and + Signal voltage. Having a second filament you would need another contact point.

You could replace the socket with a socket from ebay or amazon that would accommodate the bulb type
I wonder if this will be a direct fit to our headlamp assembly?

https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Wiring-Harness-Sockets-Signal/dp/B008DX2WFW

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts