Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright everyone. Here is what you have been waiting for.
WAM bumpers is now producing a hidden winch mount specifically for our second gen frontiers! It will work with 2005-present frontiers with a plastic bumper only. The metal bumpers won't work unless you decide to modify your metal bumper to work.

There is only some minor trimming to the plastic opening and I'll bolts right back in place of the stock inner bumper. Depending on your winch choice you may have to trim on the inside as well.

They did the final fitting today and it fits great and looks fantastic!

Price will start @ $300 for a bare metal option + shipping. Paint will be added on if you desire. the mount also includes two light tabs and two shackle mounts that are at least 1/2" thick.

This should fit the Xterra as well.

Give WAM bumpers a call or email and get these out there! This is a great alternative to a full winch bumper!

WAM Bumpers
Wambumpers.com

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
It looks nice, but, too low to the ground, in a steep approach, your angle is screwed and it will dig in. Makes the truck look like it's sticking it's tongue out

·
Registered
376 Posts
It looks nice, but, too low to the ground, in a steep approach, your angle is screwed and it will dig in. Makes the truck look like it's sticking it's tongue out

Are you serious? It's like 3" lower than Shrockwork's!

I'll be up there in a week or so to do some cabinet work, I'm going to check it out.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I think it looks good...but how strong is the mounting?

does it mount to the frame, the bumper is pretty thin

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
Well... according to JeniorNV, we're not supposed to say anything to ruffle your feathers, I guess
because she has a crush on you. So I'll just ask ... do you at least like his shackles? :angel:
No idea what you're talking about

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks nice. The pictures do have it sticking out a bit,But probably like that due to the limitations of space behind the bumper cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
can we get a proper side view photo so we can see just how much it actually sticks forward from the bumper?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here's another picture of it. I'll try to get a side picture and post. It doesnt stick out too much. Basically about the length of the D mounts where the shackles are hooked up.

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
It's not bad, but definitely not "hidden" IMO.

For me, this is what you call hidden - the mount completely replaces the OEM bumper bracket, very minimal bumper trimming, clean install and best of all - from the outside you can't really tell it's there because the license plate can still go on the bumper like stock, and nothing sticks forward and out.

(not my pics):

Not sure if there's room on a Frontier to do that, but I'd be all over it if someone made one like that.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I used to own one of those Tacoma's. There's definitely more space behind the bumper of those Tacoma's. Though I agree, its not a hidden winch mount (I wouldnt call it that) it definitely fits well and had I not been so liberal with the trimming of the bumper it would have looked a little better.

Here's pix of the overhang

Reactions: syck and d7k8

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
I think "recessed" would be a better word here.

I do see this as a decent option for those who currently don't have the $1000+ for a bumper but would like to run a winch.
Agreed.

You could probably get rid of the two recovery points... I wonder how much work it would take to move everything back just enough to get that fairlead back under the bumper cap

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
While I completely agree that I would consider this recessed instead of hidden, still a pretty slick mount. As much as I love the "over the top rugged" look on trucks, I have been trying to maintain a "subtle but you can still tell some things have been done to it" look. I was going through [this post] meticulously as it was very close to what I wanted, had talked a friend into doing the fabrication for me, but I think in the long run, this might work a little better for me. The only concern I have is the Minnesota Law on back and front license plates. I think I may be emailing them and adding this to my projects for this summer. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I can't seem to get ahold of anyone, has anyone had better luck? Only had a chance to try calling once, but I've also sent a few emails and hard nothing back from these guys :/

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I believe they were on vacation last week.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 69 Posts