Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
You really need to find a way to post a video or something of what's going on. These symptoms don't really make a lot of sense.

A manual transmission has no slip. Your gears are fixed and you will be at a fixed rpm any time you are going a certain speed in a certain gear with a certain tire size. This can not vary and if it does, the only thing that can cause that is the clutch.

Throw it in 6th gear at low speed and floor it and take a video. Otherwise we are just guessing. The descriptions don't really make sense but theory says the only thing that can be wrong based on what you are describing as slippage would be a bad slipping clutch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So this is a url for a vid of it that I put on youtube. In this I am mashing my foot to the floor and holding it.
So what I dont understand is if it is slipping then why does it grab again afer a split second, then act normal?

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV 4X4
403 Posts
Seems to me that's definitely the start of a failing clutch, it slips a little then grabs. When it grabs, it drags the engine back down to the correct RPM and then it starts to accelerate. I've experienced similar behavior in a friend's Miata.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Seems to me that's definitely the start of a failing clutch, it slips a little then grabs. When it grabs, it drags the engine back down to the correct RPM and then it starts to accelerate. I've experienced similar behavior in a friend's Miata.
That’s what I’m thinking. There should definitely not be any rpm variance like that in a clutch that properly locks up solid like it’s supposed to.

·
Registered
2021 Pro 4x
292 Posts
So my reasoning on hoping that its not the clutch is that it only wanders about 1k rpm instead of flying way up, I can hold my foot all the way down and it will tix it self, and that if I keep it high in the rpm range like doing a pull, it doesnt wander no matter what gear.

On the downside looking into a clutch price had me find the jwt flywheel. So now I want that for the performance. :unsure:
you are saying it revs on the tach but no increase in speed correct?

do you also hear the engine rev equal to the reported rpm or does the engine noise not change?

my thoughts

if it revs on the tach and you HEAR it rev but no speed change its clutch.
if it revs on the tach and you DO NOT hear the engine speed up then its sensor getting confused and misreporting the rpm.

edit just saw the vid - its clutch

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well since thats the case let me ask this. I am going to do the JWT flywheel if I do a clutch. But since I am running 285/70 17s, so a wide almost 33" tire, do I need something like a centerforce clutch?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Well since thats the case let me ask this. I am going to do the JWT flywheel if I do a clutch. But since I am running 285/70 17s, so a wide almost 33" tire, do I need something like a centerforce clutch?
Honestly I’d stick with stock (luk) flywheel, Centerforce clutch, and delete the clutch orifice/delay valve.
I don’t think any of it will improve for 33’s though. I just think the CF is a better clutch. The stock flywheel is fine and deleting the orifice will make the DMF and clutch feel less vague to operate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Honestly I’d stick with stock (luk) flywheel, Centerforce clutch, and delete the clutch orifice/delay valve.
I don’t think any of it will improve for 33’s though. I just think the CF is a better clutch. The stock flywheel is fine and deleting the orifice will make the DMF and clutch feel less vague to operate.
So I actually deleted the oriface the other day, but my thought is the luk is just as much as the nice JWT that can be resurfaced and improves performance so why not go with it? But based on the reading I have done, the centerforce 2 is great for what I need. A few performance parts, moderate towing, and a bit of offroad.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
So I actually deleted the oriface the other day, but my thought is the luk is just as much as the nice JWT that can be resurfaced and improves performance so why not go with it? But based on the reading I have done, the centerforce 2 is great for what I need. A few performance parts, moderate towing, and a bit of offroad.
My main concern with the JWT was long term satisfaction. I couldn’t find much other than initial reviews of people saying they love it after a day or two. Long term found a few negatives and not much else. I was not confident that the JWT was a good choice for a daily driver long term.

Also the lighter flywheel scares me. What helps torque and low speed momentum is a heavy flywheel. Light weight will bog down more when starting from stops and stuff, so that didn’t appeal to me. The Centerforce does have good reviews so I’d for sure go that route. But I’d probably stay stock flywheel.

How do you like the orifice delete? Did it help decently with the feel?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My main concern with the JWT was long term satisfaction. I couldn’t find much other than initial reviews of people saying they love it after a day or two. Long term found a few negatives and not much else. I was not confident that the JWT was a good choice for a daily driver long term.

Also the lighter flywheel scares me. What helps torque and low speed momentum is a heavy flywheel. Light weight will bog down more when starting from stops and stuff, so that didn’t appeal to me. The Centerforce does have good reviews so I’d for sure go that route. But I’d probably stay stock flywheel.

How do you like the orifice delete? Did it help decently with the feel?
So I actually really like the idea of the faster revving and all of that. But I like the oriface delete a lot. What that oriface does actually explains a couple things that I was feeling. Like backing a trailer up a slight hill and dropping the clutch, I could feel it slip for a second while the oriface slowed the movement. Now Im sure that will be better

·
Registered
357 Posts
So my reasoning on hoping that its not the clutch is that it only wanders about 1k rpm instead of flying way up, I can hold my foot all the way down and it will tix it self, and that if I keep it high in the rpm range like doing a pull, it doesnt wander no matter what gear.

On the downside looking into a clutch price had me find the jwt flywheel. So now I want that for the performance. :unsure:
That would steer me away from a clutch issue. They dont normally selectively slip...

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Clutch.

·
Premium Member
8,412 Posts
Your clutch's slow death is a bit unusual in that most show a couple/few hints - then just die.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts